C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flats

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Stogie Lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Run flats

Question - this is my first Vette and my first experience with run flat tires. I saw something in another post about fixing the run flat. That made me think - what is best to do with a run flat tire that goes flat? Is it best to have it fixed or just buy another one? I imagine cost of both options comes into play, but I know nothing of that either.

EJUK8 me, please.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:13 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Dear Arturo Fuentes,

It depends. I have had 2 nails/screws and never went all the way down. You can have them patched ($40) or Plugged ($10). I had both of mine plugged cuz I was on the road. Ran one of the plugged tires to 140 MPH and it lasted another 25k miles.

Most will recommend that you patch. It's a more stable and safer repair.

As a run flat it is supposed to go 50 miles at 50 mph. If you do that the tire is most likely toast. You need to assess the sit.

Last edited by JFTaylor; 11-02-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
kyoung
Instructor

I would replace the tire, I imagine some would just repair depending on the type of damage. I guess I would have to say would you really want to risk it, $300 tire vs $50,000 car. If you were driving a station wagon I would say go ahead and repair...MAYBE.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

if its just a screw/puntcure nowhere near the sidewall, plug/patch it. I pluged a screw hole at 4k, tires have 22k on them now with no issues (as far as the plug is concerned). Or you can burn your money and buy another tire, up to you
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
bagwell
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

patch it from the inside...no worries....unless you're made of money and want to blow $300+
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I'd repair it as long as it was repairable according to Goodyear's guidelines and replace it if not.

I've had two flats that were not repairable due to the punctures being too close to the sidewall.

I carry a small (motorcycle type) air compressor in the storage compartment. Most flats are slow leaks so with the compressor I am likely to be able to keep good pressure in the tire as long as I need it to get to a good repair facility.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Stogie Lover
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JFTaylor
Dear Arturo Funtes,
I take it you are a fan, as well? Arturo Fuentes is one of my heroes.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:37 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Stogie Lover
I take it you are a fan, as well? Arturo Fuentes is one of my heroes.
Yes I am. About 1-2 a week now. Several years ago I was 1-2 a day.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Take it Discount Tire - my local store dismounted the tire, put a plug in, patched the inside, and did it all for free. They won my business for future tire purchases!

The runflat can be repaired if the puncture is in the tread area and not out in the sidewall. It will maintain its speed rating if repaired properly. No reason at all not to repair it if you have decent tread remaining and they do the repair properly.

Bob

Forum member formerly known as "beezeye"
Old 11-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Take it Discount Tire - my local store dismounted the tire, put a plug in, patched the inside, and did it all for free. They won my business for future tire purchases!

The runflat can be repaired if the puncture is in the tread area and not out in the sidewall. It will maintain its speed rating if repaired properly. No reason at all not to repair it if you have decent tread remaining and they do the repair properly.

Bob

Forum member formerly known as "beezeye"
This is the straight poop/dope/info. I've had at least 6 punctures in Corvette run-flats repaired by my local Discount Tire for free and put thousands of miles on them afterwards, some at very high speeds, with zero problems.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Stogie Lover
Question - this is my first Vette and my first experience with run flat tires. I saw something in another post about fixing the run flat. That made me think - what is best to do with a run flat tire that goes flat? Is it best to have it fixed or just buy another one? I imagine cost of both options comes into play, but I know nothing of that either.

EJUK8 me, please.
Once you repair a run flat z rated tire it is no longer rated the same. In other words it loses its rating. No more triple digits on the tire to be safe
David
Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
This is the straight poop/dope/info. I've had at least 6 punctures in Corvette run-flats repaired by my local Discount Tire for free and put thousands of miles on them afterwards, some at very high speeds, with zero problems.
in Die, you can roll craps or snakeeyes. Be careful, and how is your peace of mind ?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:17 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by theVcar
Once you repair a run flat z rated tire it is no longer rated the same. In other words it loses its rating. No more triple digits on the tire to be safe
David
So is does the rating fall to 99mph after a repair? I'd be interested to know exactly what GY recommends.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flats

Quick Reply: Run flats