C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it true????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
The Six
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is it true????

So, I heard that if the competition does not start participating and competing against the C6R in the GT1 class for ALMS, GM may drop the program for 2008.

Is this true? Say it ain't so!!!!!

At least we know that LG will be there in GT2 doing us proud!!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by The Six
So, I heard that if the competition does not start participating and competing against the C6R in the GT1 class for ALMS, GM may drop the program for 2008.

Is this true? Say it ain't so!!!!!

At least we know that LG will be there in GT2 doing us proud!!!!
I've heard the same rumor. I also heard that racing in the European LeMans series was an option under cosideration. GM wants to race and wants to race in the US, but racing itself is lame.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Anomir
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
I've heard the same rumor. I also heard that racing in the European LeMans series was an option under cosideration. GM wants to race and wants to race in the US, but racing itself is lame.
Marketing is not happy with European LeMans, the vast majority of sells are in the States. Watching Corvettes win in the ALMS is one thing, not being able to see the series in Europe is pointless.

GT2 is still on the table from what I have heard. The most encouraging thing I have heard is ALSM, IMSA and Corvette Racing have all been talking to other manufacturers and teams trying to get some people in GT1. That would be the best thing for Corvette Racing and ALMS.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Yep, '08 is up in the air, but they said that about '07 too. They are working hard in getting new competition. I think they are trying to get Maserati, I believe Lamborgini is another one, and there is at least one more they are actively pushing to join in. I doubt much will be confirmed until the begining of next year.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

one rumor is that if P&M does not participate in GT1 it will do so in GT2.

Be nice to have 4 or more Corvettes in Gt2 competing with P-Cars and Faries
Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

lots of rumors... we will have to wait and see what shakes out....
Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
The Six
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sure hope they continue to compete. From what I've seen of the competition what others are potentials?

aston martin
lambo
mazarati
saleen

I agree, it doesn't make much sense to race against yourself. I tell people that I went to an ALMS race to watch the vettes...they ask who won, I can always say the vettes...BUT there is no one they are racing against. Where has the aston been?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM
jmorgan3235
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't the Aston win last years Le Mans? Yes they did. They also came in second or third the years previous. Sounds like they are looking for more than ONE competition.

I believe that there IS a reason to race in the Le Mans, and it’s called tradition. We've been there for years and there is no reason to give it up. There are plenty of European corvette fans out there. Granted, they make more money in the states, but it’s about bragging rights too!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
jpshark
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad if it happens

This is the one area where the Corvette really shows it's muscle and the cars we buy are better because of this program ...
Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Some of the comments I've read on the ALMS forum by Doug Fehan and others imply that the 'Vettes will be back in ALMS even if it is just the two cars racing themselves. The marketing gains from the exposure are too much to give up, as attendance at the Corrals, merchandise sales, etc. were all up this year despite the lack of competition. I personally would like to see more entries in GT-1, but it might take some rules modifications to entice others to commit. Then you will have the season-long saga of "competition adjustments" on weight, intake, etc. to try and equalize things. No marque will be happy with that situation. The 'Vettes, unfortunately, became so dominant the others left the party. Hopefully there will be some kind of compromise/incentive to get additional entries. I can't see the two-car race lasting beyond 2008. Even the Corvette faithful will become bored with that scenario.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
kyoung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 24 hours of Lemans and the ALMS are the most relevant racing going today. It’s a series that emphasizes cars not drivers and is the reason we have the Z06. Tom Wallace said at the Petit Corvette Corral that Corvette will continue to race the GT1 class ALMS and 24 hour race. IMHO there may come a time when they just run the 10, 12, and 24 hour races and just display the cars at the other venues until competition shows up.

Last edited by kyoung; 11-02-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it true????

Quick Reply: Is it true????