C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How much less would you pay?
$1000
14.44%
$2000
8.89%
$3000
15.56%
$4000
7.78%
$5000+
53.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Wrecked Vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Bret01Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have worked in car sell's. Both retail and wholesale, a repainted bumper is basically the mine thing we don't care about. If it was painted correctly and match's fine, then there is no big deal. How much was the damage? You can just "ask" for diminished value. They have to have someone come out and inspect the damage on the car.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Cole
Pro

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
How about a picture of the damage. It doesn't sound like there is much from your description. If it is cosmetic, and it is painted properly, I doubt you would lose anything. You need $0 on your poll for me to participate.
Agreed. I doubt it will lose any value. Superficial damage is just that.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:19 AM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

"wrecked" and a replaced fender or bumper due to a fender-bender are radically different situations.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 AM
RedC6
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Also depends on the color. A tough color to match, such as JSB, could possibly require a lot of blending in order to get it to match.

The Z06 I ordered arrived with a good size nick and scratch on the front fender. I had one of the best body guys around look at it, and he didn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole... he said that with the JSB paint as shifty as it is, he would have to paint the door, fender, hood, and front bumper in order to get the fender to blend.... That's about a 1/3 of the car. No friggin way I'm taking a new corvette with ANY paint work, not to mention a 1/3 painted.

Funny thing was the selling dealer acted like it was no big deal and that I should just buy the car (for the same price) and he'd have it fixed for me. No dice.

I called a friend of mine who worked at another dealer, and he told me to walk also. He said it didn't matter if the car had 10 miles on it, once it had paint work it would automatically be classifed as "rough" condition in all the appraisal books...
Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 AM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the damage was contained to only the bumper cover and did not touch the frame then it is by no means a wreak. It is a simple replacement of covers and then a good paint job if done good there should be no value lost. Although in your eyes and mind the car is wreaked as I know I would feel the same as I take pride in caring for my car and if someone backed into it I would feel like the car is totalled.

Sorry to hear that happening to your baby.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:11 AM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

If it's just a bumper, and no frame damage, I wouldn't mention it or do it in passing. I wouldn't deduct over a bumper
Old 11-02-2007, 09:58 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by trumpet
If you do a little research you'll find that you are entitled to diminished value if the accident was not your fault. I was rear ended in my Lotus a couple of years ago and I received $6K in diminished value from the other persons insurance company over the cost of repairs. What's ironic is that's exactly how much I lost when I sold the car over what similar, never wrecked, cars were selling for at the time.

Although, insurance companies won't just give you diminished value without some work/fight on your part. You will need to hire an independent certified appraiser to value your car after the repairs are complete and submit that appraisal to the insurance company. It's best to actually hire a company that specializes in diminished value claims. They can assist you with all the info and forms you'll need to make your claim. It costed me $300 to hire someone to get me $6k, so it's worth doing. You will need to be patient as it took me about 6 months to get my settlement. Insurance companies love to stall in hopes that you'll give up and move on.

Quick Reply: Wrecked Vette