C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven tire wear? Is this normal??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:11 AM
THECRAIGMEISTER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven tire wear? Is this normal??

I have an 05 z51 mn6. At about 16k I noticed the stock runflats were wearing on the inside front tires eneven. They were chopping? on lug was higher than the next, not sure if chopping is the right term? Nevertheless I bought new rims and had the same tires switched over to my new rims as I had some tread left and the tires I wanted were unavailable anywhere. I had my local dealer do an alignment and they are supposed to have a really good alignment guy. I was told the alignment was off and they adjusted it. Great so I have drove for awhile and my car just turned 20k. I still have considerable tread left on the meat of the tire but the inside edge is worn so that it is rounded off and the cords are showing. The car is parked and I am ordering new tires I just want to now if that is normal? I know that they don't get rotated and that 20k is alot for runflats but it just doesn't seem right. Thanks for any input.....Craig
Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

The term that I see most used for this condition is cupping. I haven't seen this happening on my '07 with 21K miles, but I don't have supercar tires either, so that could account for some difference.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by THECRAIGMEISTER
I have an 05 z51 mn6. At about 16k I noticed the stock runflats were wearing on the inside front tires eneven. They were chopping? on lug was higher than the next, not sure if chopping is the right term? Nevertheless I bought new rims and had the same tires switched over to my new rims as I had some tread left and the tires I wanted were unavailable anywhere. I had my local dealer do an alignment and they are supposed to have a really good alignment guy. I was told the alignment was off and they adjusted it. Great so I have drove for awhile and my car just turned 20k. I still have considerable tread left on the meat of the tire but the inside edge is worn so that it is rounded off and the cords are showing. The car is parked and I am ordering new tires I just want to now if that is normal? I know that they don't get rotated and that 20k is alot for runflats but it just doesn't seem right. Thanks for any input.....Craig
When you combine the soft compound of the supercar tires with the somewhat agressive alignment of the Z51 handling package, yes. I've read several accounts of members with this very problem. The Z51 alignment is set up for crisp turn in and handling, not straight line long distance driving. It sounds like for you it may be better to have the alignment adjusted to be more like the non-Z51 C6.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:04 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

When I finally changed mine (Z51, 22,300 miles), I had 4/32's left on all 4 tires, except the front inside edges of the front tires were bald.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 AM
FLY US
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Craig, how many PSI were you running cold in front?

Originally Posted by talon90

The Z51 alignment is set up for crisp turn in and handling, not straight line long distance driving.
This is a very interesting fact I did not know
the Z51 was aligned different from the base.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 AM
huge.eug
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

That's interesting. I just noticed the same thing, except it's the exact opposite. The outside of my fronts are balding.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 180 Posts

Default Inside front tires

What a coincidence. I had the oil changed on my 2005 coupe last week and while the car was in the air, I noticed that there was more wear on the inside of both front tires than on the outside (I have 11k miles on the car). I'm scheduled for an alignment this Friday. I don't race the car and use it, mainly, for pleasure driving. Is it normal for this type of wear??
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 AM
2bubbas
Drifting

Get an alignment ASAP! Depending on your miles, it may be warranty work- mine was.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM
kyoung
Instructor

Originally Posted by lavla
What a coincidence. I had the oil changed on my 2005 coupe last week and while the car was in the air, I noticed that there was more wear on the inside of both front tires than on the outside (I have 11k miles on the car). I'm scheduled for an alignment this Friday. I don't race the car and use it, mainly, for pleasure driving. Is it normal for this type of wear??
If it's the Z51 package...yes, if you don't like it have the alignment set to less aggressive settings and get tires with a harder compound/higher wear rating.

If your just cruising around you probably won't feel the difference and your tires will last longer/wear more evenly.

Last edited by kyoung; 10-31-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Get an alignment BUT consider this thread first BEFORE you allow the stock settings to be used.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1795091

The camber of the tire is high to allow for better control in aggressive turns (road racing, auto cross). The camber tilts the top of the tire in and that would cause wear on the bottom inside of the tire. By lowering the camber, you "trend" the tire to be flatter on the road. My settings are to get the highest mileage from the any tires. Were I going racing, I would jack the camber back into the alignment. Right now, my camber is -0.1 the stock setting is -0.45. I have removed the high camber from the front and back wheels. Will this cause a handling problem? Only if I was racing the car and needed 1/10ths to win a race. The car has had a trip to Cincinnati this year and tracked perfectly and did not "go nuts" without the higher camber setting.

Elmer
Old 10-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Irv
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Get an alignment BUT consider this thread first BEFORE you allow the stock settings to be used.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1795091

The camber of the tire is high to allow for better control in aggressive turns (road racing, auto cross). The camber tilts the top of the tire in and that would cause wear on the bottom inside of the tire. By lowering the camber, you "trend" the tire to be flatter on the road. My settings are to get the highest mileage from the any tires. Were I going racing, I would jack the camber back into the alignment. Right now, my camber is -0.1 the stock setting is -0.45. I have removed the high camber from the front and back wheels. Will this cause a handling problem? Only if I was racing the car and needed 1/10ths to win a race. The car has had a trip to Cincinnati this year and tracked perfectly and did not "go nuts" without the higher camber setting.

Elmer

Cause a problem? I doubt it; I play with the alignment settings on all of my cars. You may lose some steering feel or some absolute cornering ability with more neutral camber, but the stock specs have some lattitude in them anyway. There's always a +/- range.

Wearing the insides of the front tires is very common. On my C5 Z06, afflicted with the same problem, I went with a considerably more neutral caster setting, but didn't like it. I went back to the stock recommendation. I usually specify a little less toe-in than spec on the C5/C6 (I think GM is being too conservative), but some people may not like the lesser on-center feel. My Z51 C6 is wearing the inside fronts too. When it comes time to replace the tires I plan to experiment with the alignment.

Corvettes are actually a breeze compared to late model Bimmers. They all wear the tires unevenly, and their more primitive suspensions have much less adjustibility. My M Coupe would go through a set of rear tires every 10K miles, just because the inside tread would wear out (the rest of the tread face was worn far less).
Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by huge.eug
That's interesting. I just noticed the same thing, except it's the exact opposite. The outside of my fronts are balding.
mine too. replacing mine this week at 22k, and the outsides are smooth, but the rest of the tire has good tread.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:44 AM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

If you drove 15k with a "bad" alignment, it would be expected to have uneven wear. It's good that you had it corrected, but since the wear pattern was already there, even a good alignment won't help even that out.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:51 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by mlongo99
If you drove 15k with a "bad" alignment, it would be expected to have uneven wear. It's good that you had it corrected, but since the wear pattern was already there, even a good alignment won't help even that out.

At this point the rubber is gone and new tires and rubber will correct the issue. So decide on your alignment before you slap on new rubber. If you keep the stock alignment, expect the same results as far as wear pattern.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I just had mine aligned yesterday. The camber on mine was at -3.2 and there was inside wear on the old tires. Put the new Firestone Run Flats on and had the camber moved to -1.2 and it still handles great in the twisties.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:09 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I just had mine aligned yesterday. The camber on mine was at -3.2 and there was inside wear on the old tires. Put the new Firestone Run Flats on and had the camber moved to -1.2 and it still handles great in the twisties.

Might want to double check those camber listings there big guy. I think a "0" is missing somewhere in there.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:47 PM
JimLely
Instructor

Originally Posted by huge.eug

Ditto for me too (and only 6200 miles). Is front-end alignment covered under 3yr/36000 warranty? Sounds like too much positive camber to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Uneven tire wear? Is this normal??

Old 10-31-2007, 02:53 PM
overrev64
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Might want to double check those camber listings there big guy. I think a "0" is missing somewhere in there.
Where is there a "0" missing? 3.2 degrees negative was changed to 1.2 degrees negative.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
ttomczak
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I had the same problem, but still got over 18K on mine...

Since I have seen varations between 6K to 22K for this problem, I am not sure how to relate it to alignment issues...
Old 10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLely
Ditto for me too (and only 6200 miles). Is front-end alignment covered under 3yr/36000 warranty? Sounds like too much positive camber to me.
Or it could be that you're enjoying the handling too much. Even with the stock negative camber settings you'll wear out the outer edge pushing it hard through corners.

Quick Reply: Uneven tire wear? Is this normal??