C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod to Nav interface

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

As far as I know it should work. I called them and confirmed it will work with an 08 Nav and ordered one. I don't know about the 06, but the 07 and 08 Navs appear to be the same.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 AM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

It connects just like the USA Spec unit, but the touch screen controls look much better. If anyone tries it in a 2005 with NAV let us know. I know the later units added an AUX input, but weren't the nav radios generally the same in all years thus far?

anothercrisis
Old 10-24-2007, 12:32 AM
SCModerator
Racer

Default so....

This product is interesting --- but does anyone know if GM's product --- if it ever gets out, will work better?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:47 AM
alwayswantedone
Advanced

Here is a release of the functionality I found on apple's website and from the sounds of it it will have a bit more functionality than the lockpick or anyother interfaces:

GM's "Personal Audio Link" in detail

GM has also released specific details on its integration package. The device, called "Personal Audio Link," will sell at GM dealerships for less than $160 at MSRP, plus installation. It will be introduced in October on 2006 and 2007 model year Chevrolet HHRs, already one of the industry's most personalized vehicles, with more GM vehicles scheduled to be added by the end of this year. Designed specifically for the iPod, GM expects to make the device available on all of its 56 vehicle models – mostly by the end of 2007 – meaning GM will offer the widest range of vehicle applications for iPod integration in the industry.

"We understand that people want to use their iPod whenever and wherever they want," said Mike Jackson, GM North America vice president, Marketing & Advertising. "We're thrilled to offer an awesome, seamless digital music experience to our customers across our entire portfolio of great cars and trucks."

Vehicle personalization is embedded in today's vehicle purchase and ownership experience. Nancy Philippart, executive director, GM Accessories, believes that iPod and GM vehicle personalization are a perfect fit.

"With our simple, affordable system, our customers can plug their iPod into their vehicle audio system and get what they want – clear, quality sound as well as access to playlists and artists' names," said Philippart. "Because the Personal Audio Link was designed specifically for GM vehicles, the level of integration our system offers is unmatched in the market."

The Personal Audio Link iPod adapter, about the size of a deck of cards and not visible to the customer once installed, uses existing radio software, and is integrated through the radio's digital XM Satellite Radio band. (XM does not need to be activated for the system to work.) This provides improved sound over FM modulated systems, and better control and display over FM modulated and CD changer interface units.

The system displays song artist, title and genre on the radio display, and allows song selection by genre, playlist, artist and album. In addition, Podcasts and audio books are no problem. Personal Audio Link enables the user to store, sort and select their favorite Podcast or audio book by title. In vehicles equipped with steering wheel audio controls, those controls will also control volume.

Once the device is installed, the customer plugs the iPod into an interface cable in the glove box, where the player can be safely secured and stowed. The device also charges the iPod while the vehicle is operating.

"We know our music-loving customers have been clamoring for a system like this, but we were determined not to go into the market with one unless it was truly integrated, easy to use and affordable," said Philippart. "I think this system will be music to our customers' ears."

Seamlessly connects an iPod to the vehicle's factory installed audio system
Charges iPod when ignition is on
Choose from English, Spanish or French language for function displays
Search and display music by genre, playlist, album, artist
Use seek function to move forward or reverse within a song for up to 15 seconds
Select "shuffle" function to mix music
Sort music using "alphabetical jump" from A-Z list
Sort and select Podcasts and audio books by title
Control volume from steering wheel controls
Personalize text display in dynamic mode (radio display scrolls through artist, album, title, song, time remaining, etc.) or static mode (fixed on one display element such as artist)
Perform fast music searches using high-speed text display technology "

But who knows when this will get released....???? I want my Ipod now
Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Flyfast
Instructor

Originally Posted by richw76
alwayswantedone, Thanks so much for taking the time to take all these pictures. I just hope I get mine this week so I can install it this coming weekend. Anyway thanks again for the pics.
Dito from me My interface unit is on a slow boat coast-to-coast trip via UPS Ground. Hope to have it by the weekend. Thanks again, Carter
Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 AM
Chris916Vette
8th Gear

I need help with my ipod lockpick. This coastaletech company is garbage and will not answer any of my e-mails to try to help me.

Anyways, here's my situation:

Installed it on my 2005 coupe with navi and XM. Took maybe 15 minutes, was really impressed. Turned on the car, Ipod (nano) works fine. Go to switch back to XM (by holding down the last preset button as instructed) and all it does is "save" that channel and names it "IPOD###" with # being the song it's currently on. I try every possible combination I can think of to try to get the XM to work, but nothing works. I give up and then drive around listening to my Ipod. When I get in my car to go to work the next day, Not only can I not access the Ipod, but there isn't even an XM button on my radio anymore!. It says "FM2" Where it used to say XM. I dunno how, but the thing has overriden the menu and now I cannot access my XM OR my Ipod.

Has either of these situations happened to anyone else?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:04 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Chris916Vette
I need help with my ipod lockpick. This coastaletech company is garbage and will not answer any of my e-mails to try to help me.

Installed it on my 2005 coupe with navi and XM. Took maybe 15 minutes, was really impressed. Turned on the car, Ipod (nano) works fine. Go to switch back to XM (by holding down the last preset button as instructed) and all it does is "save" that channel and names it "IPOD###" with # being the song it's currently on. I try every possible combination I can think of to try to get the XM to work, but nothing works. I give up and then drive around listening to my Ipod. When I get in my car to go to work the next day, Not only can I not access the Ipod, but there isn't even an XM button on my radio anymore!. It says "FM2" Where it used to say XM. I dunno how, but the thing has overriden the menu and now I cannot access my XM OR my Ipod.

I can't help because mine doesn't arrive until today, but my impression is that they're a really little company. Give them a little slack and call them. I got an answering service, but he called me back within a couple hours.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
alwayswantedone
Advanced

I have not experienced any issues with my interface, the only problem that I experienced was connecting my iPhone to it but a call to Coastal Tech resolved that, they were pretty responsive. I called them and left a message they called me back within an hour and walked me through getting my iPhone working with the lockpick.

I agree with tscales, they seem to be a small company, give them a call see if you can get through to them that way.

Have you tried unplugging the unit and going back to stock to see if the XM button comes back, this sounds like a software issue with the lockpick unit also be sure you have the dip switches set correctly for your unit as stated in the directions that came with the lockpick. My unit uses dip switches 1 and 5 in the down position and 2,3,4 in the up position.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

What problem did you have with your iPhone? That's what I am going to be using.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

What problem did you have with your iPhone? That's what I am going to be using.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Chris916Vette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by alwayswantedone
I have not experienced any issues with my interface, the only problem that I experienced was connecting my iPhone to it but a call to Coastal Tech resolved that, they were pretty responsive. I called them and left a message they called me back within an hour and walked me through getting my iPhone working with the lockpick.

I agree with tscales, they seem to be a small company, give them a call see if you can get through to them that way.

Have you tried unplugging the unit and going back to stock to see if the XM button comes back, this sounds like a software issue with the lockpick unit also be sure you have the dip switches set correctly for your unit as stated in the directions that came with the lockpick. My unit uses dip switches 1 and 5 in the down position and 2,3,4 in the up position.

well I would cut them slack but after waiting over a week for 2 different e-mails they still havent responded. How do I call them, the sheet that came with my order says tech calls are taken between 10 and 6 EST, but there's no phone number anywhere on it and I don't see it on their website either.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope this helps let me know if further information is needed...

Regards...

John
Thank you John! Great job, and it needs to be in the FAQ section!

JohnnyB

Last edited by AutoCutter; 10-24-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:38 PM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

How are you emailing them? Are you clicking on a link on their website or typing it in? They have a warning on their website. Evidently people are leaving out the E and getting a different address (another company) who ignores them.

It's coastalEtech

Their website couldn't be more low budget. I can't find the phone number either, although I found it at one point.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:58 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From their website! I hope they are better hardware geeks then they are with software

Coastal Electronic Technologies, Inc.
P.O. Box 33518, Indialantic, FL 32903
Ph: (800)507-2234
Old 10-24-2007, 01:04 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I had almost the same thing happen with the USASPEC PA11. I called their tech support and we walked through the installation (connecting behind the drivers seat into the XM module.) and everything worked. It had done the original install with the car on. I wanted to see what the head unit did as I disconnected and reconnected. It seems that it must be connected the first time with the power off as when the car powers back up, it recognizes the xm and the new module.

My USASPEC has worked ok. It is slow to respond, and you must have (in playlist mode...where it will play playlists) 5 playlists that begin with the letters GM. This is fairly easy to do in Itunes as I just combined all my playlists into genre type playlists. I have one that I call GM hits which is about 50 to 100 of the songs I want to hear every day. It works for me, at least while waiting on a real GM product that is more user friendly.

anothercrisis
Old 10-24-2007, 01:06 PM
richw76
Intermediate

The Personal Audio Link looks sweet for $160 and I would buy it, but I don't think it's worth waiting a few months for. If they had a set date them I may have waited.

As for responsiveness I've emailed via the contact sheet on their site and received two relatively quick responses <4 business hours. But I wasn't contacting about problems.

If they only respond to pre-sales questions, and let people doing installs or
having problems hang, I'd be mad too. The only retailers I have any loyalty to are the ones where I have a problem, and they work with me to come to a reasonable conclusion.

Last edited by richw76; 10-24-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 PM
RAP
Pro

Chevy dealer in AZ had one of their in stock last month when I went home on leave from Germany. No one could tell me a price, how to hook it up or what parts were needed or how to get them........but I did need something according to them too hook it up to my 2005 with out the XM module.

Though I thought that the same plug was there for hooking it up if I wanted later. I want to get something like this, but want to know what GM parts are required to make it work right with out messing around.

Get notified of new replies

To iPod to Nav interface

Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Chris916Vette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by anothercrisis
I had almost the same thing happen with the USASPEC PA11. I called their tech support and we walked through the installation (connecting behind the drivers seat into the XM module.) and everything worked. It had done the original install with the car on. I wanted to see what the head unit did as I disconnected and reconnected. It seems that it must be connected the first time with the power off as when the car powers back up, it recognizes the xm and the new module.

My USASPEC has worked ok. It is slow to respond, and you must have (in playlist mode...where it will play playlists) 5 playlists that begin with the letters GM. This is fairly easy to do in Itunes as I just combined all my playlists into genre type playlists. I have one that I call GM hits which is about 50 to 100 of the songs I want to hear every day. It works for me, at least while waiting on a real GM product that is more user friendly.

anothercrisis

Well, I said screw it and just decided to take out everything since I couldnt even access the XM menu anymore and was worried that I would never be able to again (the button was completely MISSING after installing the lockpick).

I disconnected everything, did the reset with the car door open or whatever. I flipped all the switches up to try to "reset" the lockpick itself, disconnected it and then just had 1 and 5 down like the instructions said to try again. Turned the car on and my XM menu was back and the XM worked fine so I turned off the car, plugged the lockpick back in, and what do ya know, it finally worked!
So crisis averted, but I am a little worried that when I get back into my car one day the XM button will be missing again and I will have to disconnect it all and reconnect it, but all seems to be well now. If GM ever releases their PAL I will probably still pick it up and sell this thing for 50 bucks or something.

Last edited by Chris916Vette; 10-24-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:34 PM
alwayswantedone
Advanced

Default iPhone issue...

Hey Tscales,

I mentioned my issue with the iPhone in my previous post in this thread.

I just installed this unit in my C6 2007 coupe with Nav and is very easy to install, literally took 20 minutes and was a plug-n-play operation. It is so nice to have my ipod back in my car. I believe it will work without having an xm subscription but XM must be installed as it is a y-connector from the xm receiver to the lockpick unit. Yes it does work with my iPhone although when you attempt to connect it the iphone reports an error and asks if you would like to go into airplane mode and you only need to answer no to this and open up the ipod screen on you iPhone and there it will say accessory connected and the song will start playing. After some testing though, I found that it is hit and miss with selecting songs, sometimes it will work to skip a song and sometimes not. I have a Ipod nano just for my car and that works well, the only thing I wish it allowed is to allow functionality of the ipod while connected.

Hope this helps and sorry to be so long winded this is only my second post to the group...
Chris916vette,

I wonder if it may be an issue with the dip switches not holding, I had a similar issue with my prior vehicle and the dip switches would seem to engage and it would work ok then all of a sudden the iPod would not work anymore and I found that by toggling the dip switches back and forth a few time it would resolve the issue, Just a thought...I would definitely persue this with them and ask that they send you a replacement unit.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 PM
richw76
Intermediate

Well, I said screw it and just decided to take out everything since I couldnt even access the XM menu anymore and was worried that I would never be able to again (the button was completely MISSING after installing the lockpick).

I disconnected everything, did the reset with the car door open or whatever. I flipped all the switches up to try to "reset" the lockpick itself, disconnected it and then just had 1 and 5 down like the instructions said to try again. Turned the car on and my XM menu was back and the XM worked fine so I turned off the car, plugged the lockpick back in, and what do ya know, it finally worked!
So crisis averted, but I am a little worried that when I get back into my car one day the XM button will be missing again and I will have to disconnect it all and reconnect it, but all seems to be well now. If GM ever releases their PAL I will probably still pick it up and sell this thing for 50 bucks or something.
Yeah they should treat customers better from what I'm hearing. I'm with you once PAL comes out for my '07 I'll replace this unit.

And I'm supposed to get my unit Friday, in time for a weekend install Yahoooooooo!

Quick Reply: iPod to Nav interface