C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Used the Conti Comfort Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:32 PM
10mikeymike
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Has Anyone Used the Conti Comfort Kit?

I posted this on the Tire & Wheel Forum, but can't seem to get a response. I should be receiving my new CCW SP500's and BFG KDW2's this week. Since I've had my share of flat tires, I'm considering getting one of the Continental Comfort Kits that Tire Rack sells. I read on the Tire Rack web site that Continental now says use of the latex sealant "may" cause problems with the TPMS sensors. Has anyone ever used the stuff and does it cause any problems with the sensors? The way I see it, the peace of mind is worth the cost of a new sensor. Gene Culley sells them for around $52 each. Also, does anyone know why you have to select a tire size when ordering the kit? What size to order for C6 tire sizes (18/19)?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Maizen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not used the kit...yet, but I am also interested in it. Where do you see to select a tire size? They just show what sizes it will work with because overly large tires will have too much interior surface area for coverage. But there is only one "size" kit.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I can't see how it would not block and ruin the TPMS unit
Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mikeymike
Has Anyone Used the Conti Comfort Kit?
from the title i thought maybe rick was sending out vaseline samples.

j/k (i couldn't resist)

GO PACK GO!!

Last edited by gbgary; 10-08-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Maizen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
I can't see how it would not block and ruin the TPMS unit
Yes it will ruin the TPMS sender, but those are a lot cheaper than a tire.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbgary
from the title i thought maybe mike was sending out vaseline samples.

j/k (i couldn't resist)

GO PACK GO!!
I was wondering something along those lines.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:35 PM
10mikeymike
Pro

Default I Should Known Better

Right after posting this thread I realized you guys were going to have a lot of fun with it. Oh well, that's what makes this a great forum. Anyway, I ordered one the kits from Tire Rack. I called the 800 number and spoke to Nate. He was very helpful and told me that tire size isn't an issue. He also said these things really work and they are German TUV approved. According to Nate, that's the equivalent of the DOT. We talked about the possibility of sensor damage and he said there have been reports, but he wasn't personally aware of any problems. As I said in my original post, I'd rather risk a sensor than damage one of my new wheels or tires. As far as I'm concerned, the cost of a new sensor is much less than a tow and besides that, I'd hate to see my car being pulled up on to a flat bed tow truck (or worse).
Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one, but haven't used it (and hope not to have to).

But there is some more info with the kit than appears on the web site. As far as the sensors goes, it says that it may cause them not to work temporarily, as the sealant will cover the inlet, but that it can be peeled off when the permanent repair is made with no permanent damage to the sensor.

The reason for selecting a tire size is that it is rated for a certain range of sizes. The stock C6 tire sizes are included in the range of the standard model, but you'd want to check on it if you've gone much larger than stock.

It does seems to be quite well thought out and well made. It fits nicely in one of the rear compartments along with other stuff, includes everything you should need, and the instructions are attached to the unit.

The sealant is good for one use and has a shelf life of 4 years, you can buy a new sealant cartridge for about $25 once its used or expires. The compressor, of course, should last a long time and can be used without the sealant in the event of a slow leak or just needing to top up the tires.

Note that it is intended as a temporary repair, to get you to somewhere that the tire can be permanently repaired or replaced. Sort of like the run-flats in that respect.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:40 PM
10mikeymike
Pro

Originally Posted by Buffy
I have one, but haven't used it (and hope not to have to).

But there is some more info with the kit than appears on the web site. As far as the sensors goes, it says that it may cause them not to work temporarily, as the sealant will cover the inlet, but that it can be peeled off when the permanent repair is made with no permanent damage to the sensor.

The reason for selecting a tire size is that it is rated for a certain range of sizes. The stock C6 tire sizes are included in the range of the standard model, but you'd want to check on it if you've gone much larger than stock.

It does seems to be quite well thought out and well made. It fits nicely in one of the rear compartments along with other stuff, includes everything you should need, and the instructions are attached to the unit.

The sealant is good for one use and has a shelf life of 4 years, you can buy a new sealant cartridge for about $25 once its used or expires. The compressor, of course, should last a long time and can be used without the sealant in the event of a slow leak or just needing to top up the tires.

Note that it is intended as a temporary repair, to get you to somewhere that the tire can be permanently repaired or replaced. Sort of like the run-flats in that respect.
Thanks. This is just the kind of information I was looking for. Nate at Tire Rack was very helpful and reassured me that these things really work if needed. I read afterwards that the sealant had a shelf life. Your message helped to clarifying how long and that it's possible to replace just the sealant if necessary. This is good news since I would imagine all you would have to do is replace the sealant if you are ever have to use the kit for its intended purpose. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing more than a security blanket for those long cruises that I like to take.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mikeymike
Thanks. This is just the kind of information I was looking for. Nate at Tire Rack was very helpful and reassured me that these things really work if needed. I read afterwards that the sealant had a shelf life. Your message helped to clarifying how long and that it's possible to replace just the sealant if necessary. This is good news since I would imagine all you would have to do is replace the sealant if you are ever have to use the kit for its intended purpose. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing more than a security blanket for those long cruises that I like to take.
I hope you never need yours either, but its nice to have a security blanket, and this one at least appears to be well thought out and well made.

The one thing you don't want to do is play with it before reading the directions; I almost activated the sealant by looking at it and saying "gee, looks like this part moves - wonder what happens if I turn it this way?". I'm not sure what it would have done, but I'd have been in a lot of trouble if it had sprayed sealant all over the living room!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 PM
10mikeymike
Pro

Originally Posted by Buffy
I hope you never need yours either, but its nice to have a security blanket, and this one at least appears to be well thought out and well made.

The one thing you don't want to do is play with it before reading the directions; I almost activated the sealant by looking at it and saying "gee, looks like this part moves - wonder what happens if I turn it this way?". I'm not sure what it would have done, but I'd have been in a lot of trouble if it had sprayed sealant all over the living room!

Thanks once again. I am notorious for seeing what makes things work!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I know a guy at Conti and I can call him if you want.

Also, your phone goes to voice mail.....

Last edited by timd38; 10-08-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:07 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez, I thought maybe Rick Conti was supplying Southern Comfort with each vette he sold.

Get notified of new replies

To Has Anyone Used the Conti Comfort Kit?

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Used the Conti Comfort Kit?