C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

am I missing something here??? fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:43 AM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jschindler
First of all, these are factory fog lights - every set of factory fog lights I have had have not had a problem with them annoying other drivers. My current Infiniti M45 has a setting so that they come on any time the headlights come on - and that's how I have them set. I think my Expedition is the same way, although I'm not 100% sure.

I like them on all the time for three reasons. 1) it gives better lighting to the sides than the headlights 2) more lights for other vehicles to see me 3) it looks cool. I've had quite a few vehicles where they came on any time the headlights are on, and I've never once had anyone flash their lights at me indicating they are annoying them. I think it's a fair question. Like the OP, I wish they came on all the time as well.
Well said!

Originally Posted by jschindler
Some of this indicates they don't know what the hell they are talking about. They are confusing fog lights and driving lights. Fog lights have a very sharp cutoff - if they are aimed correctly, they won't annoy anyone. And fog lights are not that bright - no brighter than regular headlights.

The bottom line is that all the poorly installed aftermarket fog lights have given them a bad name. I've NEVER had anyone get annoyed with me over factory fog lights being on.
Since when are fog lights white? Back when I had my '69 Camaro, I went to the Auto Store and they had Fog Lights and Driving Lights on their Shelf. The Fogs were all yellow or orange and the Drivers were all white. Some drivers would shoot down the road further than others . . . which were the once that really bothered oncomers and others would fan the light for better side visibility. The choice was mine.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but . . . our lights are white. So shouldn't they be driving lights disregarding what ever GM is calling them?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:47 AM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
they should only be annoying to oncoming drivers if they are not positioned correctly.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMark
...Now correct me if I'm wrong but . . . our lights are white. So shouldn't they be driving lights disregarding what ever GM is calling them?
I know that fog lights are frequently yellow, but that is not the determining factor (regardless of whether they are more effective or not).

The different between fog and driving lights is the beam "cut-off". Fog lights have a straight line cut-off that keeps the light pattern very low to avoid the blinding light up in the fog. Driving lights are made to see a long way down the road - for open road driving. GMs lights are true fog lights - not driving lights.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My only issue with the Vette fog lights is that they don't match up the HID lights.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
SlowAzzVette
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greenie99
For the fogs to be effective, they should be yellow in color. Too many guys try to match the Zenon white of the headlights thus rendering them useless as true fogs.
in Europe, if you do not have a yellow fog light you can get pulled over.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:23 AM
SlowAzzVette
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMark
Well said!

Since when are fog lights white? Back when I had my '69 Camaro, I went to the Auto Store and they had Fog Lights and Driving Lights on their Shelf. The Fogs were all yellow or orange and the Drivers were all white. Some drivers would shoot down the road further than others . . . which were the once that really bothered oncomers and others would fan the light for better side visibility. The choice was mine.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but . . . our lights are white. So shouldn't they be driving lights disregarding what ever GM is calling them?

Old 10-05-2007, 10:32 AM
aseitzjr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a relay, power from headlights to relay, as switch, fused 12 volt from power source to relay, from relay to fog lights. Use fog light switch as method of turning off
Old 10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have NEVER seen a car where the fogs are defaulted in the on position. Even with the foglights aimed correctly, that much light can be distracting to oncoming traffic when conditions do not warrant it.
no, lets look at the cars I currently own, 2001 Camaro SS, fog lights defaulted on, can be turned off with switch. 2005 Acura RSX, always on, with headlights, no switch. And my beater, an 98 cavalier always on with headlights, off with switch.

so what cars do you have that are NEVER defaulted on with the lights
Old 10-05-2007, 10:55 AM
greenie99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
no, lets look at the cars I currently own, 2001 Camaro SS, fog lights defaulted on, can be turned off with switch. 2005 Acura RSX, always on, with headlights, no switch. And my beater, an 98 cavalier always on with headlights, off with switch.

so what cars do you have that are NEVER defaulted on with the lights
The RSX has fogs that are an option with a separate switch to turn them on. I just sold one. Aside from the RSX which does NOT default, my Acura RLs(2000 and 2004), my 04 Audi A8L and the complete line of Audis(all have separate switches). Its crazy to state any more cars that I have had or have whose fogs do not default. They just dont!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The RSX has fogs that are an option with a separate switch to turn them on. I just sold one. Aside from the RSX which does NOT default, my Acura RLs(2000 and 2004), my 04 Audi A8L and the complete line of Audis(all have separate switches). Its crazy to state any more cars that I have had or have whose fogs do not default. They just dont!
but when you turn the headlights on, the fog lights come on as well. You can turn them off with a switch. But they are always on unless YOU TURN THE SWITCH OFF
Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM
C6VetteRocks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fog light reflectors are designed to focus the light flat on top, wide on the sides, somewhat down on the bottom. They are made to go under the fog, which usually is very thin near the ground. Now since the beam top is parallel to the ground at the height of the lamp, the only person that our C6 fog lights should bother would be riding a luge. As for the color, you can get bulbs that match or replace them with HIDs that match. I also agree that the add a lot of light to the sides and ground that is not there from the HIDs. They are a must during night and low light rain here in Oregon, where they don’t understand what lane reflectors are used for.
You can’t rewire them at the switch. The switch just tells the Body Control Module to turn them on. Since for Canada the DRL must be always on and this is programmable by the dealer, it might be possible to reprogram them also.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I know I'm extending the issue, but there are many European cars that have REAR fog lights, as well. These are a really bright setting for (usually) one rear red lamp. Some bozos are too dumb to know that there is a separate switch for the rear fogs and drive with those on all the time. At night in clear weather they are not just annoying but dangerous. They can be really blinding. (After all, their purpose is to make your car visible in very poor conditions.)

I owned one car (an Audi) when I lived in Europe, and the rear fog light came on with the fronts. If there was no need for fog lights, the local constabulary would definitely stop you for driving with the fog lights on. Of course, because the weather was usually bad, no problem...

Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I'm sure you could wire it to do what you want but why? Just turn them on when you want - it's no big deal.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:57 PM
jwolfrom
Instructor

I rigged up mine with a relay and a switch that's in the center console. With the switch on, the fogs (upgraded to HIDs) are always on even with high beams on. With the switch off they operate normally. I like the side light they put out on back country roads and I've never been flashed by anyone.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6VetteRocks
Fog light reflectors are designed to focus the light flat on top, wide on the sides, somewhat down on the bottom. They are made to go under the fog, which usually is very thin near the ground. Now since the beam top is parallel to the ground at the height of the lamp, the only person that our C6 fog lights should bother would be riding a luge. As for the color, you can get bulbs that match or replace them with HIDs that match. I also agree that the add a lot of light to the sides and ground that is not there from the HIDs. They are a must during night and low light rain here in Oregon, where they don’t understand what lane reflectors are used for.
You can’t rewire them at the switch. The switch just tells the Body Control Module to turn them on. Since for Canada the DRL must be always on and this is programmable by the dealer, it might be possible to reprogram them also.
Would that be a 1 man or two man luge?

Quick Reply: am I missing something here??? fog light question