C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unions and me

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:38 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Unions and me

Without getting into the philosphical debate on the good\bad of unions --- let me rant...the recent strike has kept me from getting my broken 2007 C6 with a bad fuel pump at 5600 miles back from the dealer by 3 days. Doesn't sound like much but as much as I like this car for the viceral punch it gives me I am not going to buy another GM car until they are owned by a Japanese company....I have had three Japanese cars that haven't in total been in the shop over a collective 20 years as much as my C6 has been in 6 months of ownership...

The UAW strike is a unfortunate reminder of how much trouble the Big 3 are in. This is a small issue among a much larger picture. It is going to get worse before it gets better.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-27-2007, 09:03 PM
2bubbas
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 days- could have been a 56 day strike. Didn't they have that in the 70's?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by willhaveC6
Without getting into the philosphical debate on the good\bad of unions --- let me rant...the recent strike has kept me from getting my broken 2007 C6 with a bad fuel pump at 5600 miles back from the dealer by 3 days. Doesn't sound like much but as much as I like this car for the viceral punch it gives me I am not going to buy another GM car until they are owned by a Japanese company....I have had three Japanese cars that haven't in total been in the shop over a collective 20 years as much as my C6 has been in 6 months of ownership...

The UAW strike is a unfortunate reminder of how much trouble the Big 3 are in. This is a small issue among a much larger picture. It is going to get worse before it gets better.
Except, by all accounts, this new deal will make GM more competitive than they have been in awhile, at the same time keeping future jobs in America.

I call that a win/win, for them, and for us.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,599 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by VETLESStil08
Old 09-27-2007, 09:10 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow......... don't hold back tell us how you really feel...
Old 09-27-2007, 09:16 PM
falco84
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nerd.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 PM
jetcap
4th Gear

Then buy a rice puffer! You put up with some discomfort for 3 days. BFD. These people are fighting to keep some benefits and to be able to afford to buy the vehicles the produce. No I am not in any way in the auto industry.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by VETLESStil08

I also agree!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That'll show 'em! With all due respect...perhaps you should take your whine and move to Nippon. Don't just rant...be a man of conviction....sell the Vette. I'm sure you can get a "viceral punch" from some Japanese car.

I'm truly sorry for anyone having excessive mechanical troubles. My 2005 C6 has been virtually problem free...other than normal maintenance, my Suburban has only required a water pump replacement in over 100,000 miles. I've had good luck with GM products and I support General Motors.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The Vettes fuel pump is probably made in Japan. Thats why it failed?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 PM
TheWolverine
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wayne O
That'll show 'em! With all due respect...perhaps you should take your whine and move to Nippon. Don't just rant...be a man of conviction....sell the Vette. I'm sure you can get a "viceral punch" from some Japanese car.

I'm truly sorry for anyone having excessive mechanical troubles. My 2005 C6 has been virtually problem free...other than normal maintenance, my Suburban has only required a water pump replacement in over 100,000 miles. I've had good luck with GM products and I support General Motors.

I don't think I could have said it any better!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 PM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't like your Corvette, I'm sure you'll plenty of reasons to support your belief... but I'm pretty sure that waiting three days for a fuel pump is not going to sink GM.

There are three GMs and a Ford in the garage here, and I'm happy with all of them.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I expected to get an emotional response. I love the C6, I grew up with a dad who sold Buicks for 35 years. My first three cars were a 65 Buick Grandsport, 67 Chevy Nova and 71 Ford Bronco. I want to buy US and will continue to try. The fact is my car has had a new tranny at 135 miles...This 3 days in the shop is only 3 on top of 6 not counting the 3 days to replace the tranny. I want the car back and I want GM to succeed.

But I also do not live my life with emotions. I can't afford to. So, I have had to own cars that were undeniably more reliable than my C6 has been. I have spent $50K on a car that I have concern about taking a week's vacation in in October. That just shouldn't happen.

Yes, I could eat the $10K of depreciation I have seen so far with the car but I am not Donald Trump. What I will do is work with the dealer to get it fixed and keep getting fixed as needed. I will also keep participating in this forum and reasonably speaking my mind.

Go Yankees. That should really get you all going.

Peace guys and gals.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by willhaveC6
I expected to get an emotional response. I love the C6, I grew up with a dad who sold Buicks for 35 years. My first three cars were a 65 Buick Grandsport, 67 Chevy Nova and 71 Ford Bronco. I want to buy US and will continue to try. The fact is my car has had a new tranny at 135 miles...This 3 days in the shop is only 3 on top of 6 not counting the 3 days to replace the tranny. I want the car back and I want GM to succeed.

But I also do not live my life with emotions. I can't afford to. So, I have had to own cars that were undeniably more reliable than my C6 has been. I have spent $50K on a car that I have concern about taking a week's vacation in in October. That just shouldn't happen.

Yes, I could eat the $10K of depreciation I have seen so far with the car but I am not Donald Trump. What I will do is work with the dealer to get it fixed and keep getting fixed as needed. I will also keep participating in this forum and reasonably speaking my mind.

Go Yankees. That should really get you all going.

Peace guys and gals.
Go Yankees!!! There is nothing better than a hot dog at Yankee stadium that has been cooking for six hours. I have had many there.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

Hard to imqgine that the entire parts supply network was drained of fuel pumps in 3 days . . . . I think you were getting a story . . .
Old 09-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Bubbatex
Racer

Originally Posted by CQRT
Hard to imqgine that the entire parts supply network was drained of fuel pumps in 3 days . . . . I think you were getting a story . . .
Actually not.. The Strike also halted shipment of parts. It was not a drain of parts, there was nobody there to ship them!!

I will admit however most average sized dealerships should have a fuel pump on hand. If not they usually pick one up from another dealer. Unless of course you live in the sticks.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Unions and me

Old 09-27-2007, 10:21 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Dont be so sure Japanese cars are so hot. My 2005 Toyota Sienna is back in the shop. Nav went out. 9 times in the shop so far for electrical issues. My 2007 Toyota Tacoma steering pump went out at 400 miles. Flew off - like the bolt was sheered off. Looked at edmunds, and probably about 15 other reports of the steering pump (including two people on CFOT that own Tacomas). My 2003 4runner has been rock solid, but so has been my vette (just oil sensor went bad).

Grass is not always greener.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by jetcap
Then buy a rice puffer! You put up with some discomfort for 3 days. BFD. These people are fighting to keep some benefits and to be able to afford to buy the vehicles the produce. No I am not in any way in the auto industry.
Have you ever driven by any of the Big Three's auto plants and checked out the employee's parking lot. The UAW drives a lot of Rice. Bowling Green included.A bunch of the UAW members that don't drive Rice, drive cars/trucks not produced by their employer. Plenty of Dodge and Ford trucks parked in the Bowling Green UAW employees parking lot. They don't even buy trucks made by GM, who signs their paycheck every week. Why should I support them when they don't support their own employer.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-27-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:43 PM
crs1089
Advanced

Unions built this country and ensure the rights of the people who work so hard everyday. The union way of life secured my job and my safety for 30 years. Don't blame the members, blame the corporation.

Quick Reply: Unions and me