C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unions and me

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:46 PM
alpine78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a whiney bastardo you are!!!!

Originally Posted by willhaveC6
I expected to get an emotional response. I love the C6, I grew up with a dad who sold Buicks for 35 years. My first three cars were a 65 Buick Grandsport, 67 Chevy Nova and 71 Ford Bronco. I want to buy US and will continue to try. The fact is my car has had a new tranny at 135 miles...This 3 days in the shop is only 3 on top of 6 not counting the 3 days to replace the tranny. I want the car back and I want GM to succeed.

But I also do not live my life with emotions. I can't afford to. So, I have had to own cars that were undeniably more reliable than my C6 has been. I have spent $50K on a car that I have concern about taking a week's vacation in in October. That just shouldn't happen.

Yes, I could eat the $10K of depreciation I have seen so far with the car but I am not Donald Trump. What I will do is work with the dealer to get it fixed and keep getting fixed as needed. I will also keep participating in this forum and reasonably speaking my mind.

Go Yankees. That should really get you all going.

Peace guys and gals.
My Vette has been trouble free... 07.. and I only take it out to drive it HARD!!! On the other hand, my 03 SL55 (which costs three times as much) broke down every other week!!!!!
By the by, we also have a "japanese" car.. Lexus SC430.. for my wife.. but I think/know the Vette is FAR superior. I would like to see it just a little more upscale in the next gen however.

Maybe you should sell it.... you sound like the kinda guy that does'nt wave anyway!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 PM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Have you ever driven by any of the Big Three's auto plants and checked out the employee's parking lot. The UAW drives a lot of Rice. Bowling Green included.A bunch of the UAW members that don't drive Rice, drive cars/trucks not produced by their employer. Plenty of Dodge and Ford trucks parked in the Bowling Green UAW employees parking lot. They don't even buy trucks made by GM, who signs their paycheck every week. Why should I support them when they don't support their own employer.
.......There are plenty of people in GM plants on any given day that are not GM employees or UAW members. There are always outside suppliers, vendors, temporary workers, non GM office workers, visitors, ect. in the plant. Also most GM plants do not have dedicated employee parking so how can you tell who ownes the car?

Of all the people I can think of that I have worked with only 1 comes to mind that has a non GM car. He drives a Dodge Truck, his wife got fired by GM, so I guess he showed them.

I would guess that its 90-95% GM vehicles in any given GM plant parking lot.....

BTW...my 13 year old 95 Vette has been trouble free and I would not hesitate to drive it any distance......

Last edited by pettvette; 09-27-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad fuel pumps happen.. The Japanese cars have problems too.
I had a new Honda Accord have its transmission replaced 2 times within 36K miles.. Had 3 C5's that I ran hard and only had a window motor go out..
How many Japanese cars made can handle the power or perform as well as the vette... It's much easier to make a car more reliable when its underpowered.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 PM
P3C
Racer

My 02 coupe 6 years old -- The battery replaced (under warranty) the first year. Year 4 right side headlight motor replaced. The dealer replaced it under warranty even though the warranty had expired one year earlier. Other than that flawless, and when I drive it, I drive it hard like a performance car should be! Try that in a Japanese car and see how well it holds up!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:04 PM
KC-Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jetcap
Then buy a rice puffer! You put up with some discomfort for 3 days. BFD. These people are fighting to keep some benefits and to be able to afford to buy the vehicles the produce. No I am not in any way in the auto industry.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 PM
07C6Z51
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Without getting into the philosphical debate on the good\bad of unions --- let me rant...the recent strike has kept me from getting my broken 2007 C6 with a bad fuel pump at 5600 miles back from the dealer by 3 days. Doesn't sound like much but as much as I like this car for the viceral punch it gives me I am not going to buy another GM car until they are owned by a Japanese company....I have had three Japanese cars that haven't in total been in the shop over a collective 20 years as much as my C6 has been in 6 months of ownership...

The UAW strike is a unfortunate reminder of how much trouble the Big 3 are in. This is a small issue among a much larger picture. It is going to get worse before it gets better.
I believe it was Tuesday, 55.000 lexus, and camry's were recalled by Toyota. Your dealer should have a pump in stock, or be able to find one for you. I wonder if you went up to the counter and started bad mouthing GM and the UAW, like you did here, maybe that was the problem.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by pettvette
.......There are plenty of people in GM plants on any given day that are not GM employees or UAW members. There are always outside suppliers, vendors, temporary workers, non GM office workers, visitors, ect. in the plant. Also most GM plants do not have dedicated employee parking so how can you tell who ownes the car?

Of all the people I can think of that I have worked with only 1 comes to mind that has a non GM car. He drives a Dodge Truck, his wife got fired by GM, so I guess he showed them.

I would guess that its 90-95% GM vehicles in any given GM plant parking lot.....
back to you. I spent my career working in various manufacturing plants and have visited dozens of them over the past 40 years including GM and Ford. Visitors park in the visitors parking lot which is usually close to the office entrance, employees park in the employees parking lot where they use an employee entrance which normally goes directly into the plant and not through the office. NO manufacturing plant lets visitors enter without going through the office and gets signed in, and then only gets to see the person they are visiting. Blowing Green is an exception as they allow visitors on their tours which normal plants do not. Even Bowling Green has designated areas for their employees. Those who drive GM products get to park close to the door, those that don't, park away from the door. Visitors going on the tours, park in an area designated for them, and enter the plant, not through the office, but a special area set up for the tours. The auto plants that I have visited and those I have driven by, have less then 50% of the cars/trucks made by their employer in their employee parking lot and about 50% of the remaining are not even from a UAW staffed auto plant, by rough estimate.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
ja03c5
Drifting

You know what...shut up, no one wants to listen to you cry. Go buy a stupid rice mobile then. You didn't wait for a fuel pump because of the strike, you said the wrong thing and pissed someone off. How'd that work for ya?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 PM
ja03c5
Drifting

Originally Posted by crs1089
Unions built this country and ensure the rights of the people who work so hard everyday. The union way of life secured my job and my safety for 30 years. Don't blame the members, blame the corporation.
Unions are what is ripping this country off. I don't blame the corporation for not wanting to be raped by a stupid union. They want everything for nothing when it comes to benefits. You can't have your cake and eat it too, pick, higher wages or more company paid benefits. Welcome to the real world.

As for Unions trying to get in to a non-union company - I say fire anyone who breaths the word union.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 PM
rAte
Advanced

All cars have issues. The most problem free car I have owned was a heavily modded EVO 8. Zero problems over 2 years of ownership.

Has anyone been to the BMW Plant in SC? Something like 75-85% of their employees drive BMWs. I hear they get a rediculous deal on leases, like $189/mo for a 3 series.

Best part of the Tour was Ralph Shumacher's Williams F1 car in the muesum. That is art right there!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:17 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bet you had trouble with your dome light as well.

I have one recommendation:

MORE COWBELL!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 PM
beaverwarrior
Pro

I'd rather have my car built by a Happy American worker than a stressed out Japanese worker.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ja03c5
Unions are what is ripping this country off. I don't blame the corporation for not wanting to be raped by a stupid union. They want everything for nothing when it comes to benefits. You can't have your cake and eat it too, pick, higher wages or more company paid benefits. Welcome to the real world.

As for Unions trying to get in to a non-union company - I say fire anyone who breaths the word union.
Blaming unions for the state of the country, or the auto industry, is like blaming ice cream companies for Rosie O'Donnell being overweight. Was it the unions or the manufacturers who decided to built gas guzzling cars that most people don't want to buy anymore?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As for Unions trying to get in to a non-union company - I say fire anyone who breaths the word union.[/QUOTE]

By the way, it is illegal under the National Labor Relations Act, passed in 1935, to fire someone who wants to join a union.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Unions built this country
Really?.......... I thought it was Tyronne.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:33 PM
ja03c5
Drifting

Originally Posted by GMuffley
By the way, it is illegal under the National Labor Relations Act, passed in 1935, to fire someone who wants to join a union.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I should be more specific, you can't fire someone for wanting to join a union that already exists within a corporation. If someone tries to bring a Union into a non-union corporation, they can be terminated at-will by the company. Apparently you've never heard of at-will employment. This is on a state by state basis, though.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:38 PM
07C6Z51
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by ja03c5

You say in your profile that you are in human resources. Dam I hope your boss doesn't read the ignorant statement that you made above. I see the guy that started this rant is from your home state, maybe you too should get together and go find a picket line, and give them your views on Union Labor.

Get notified of new replies

To Unions and me

Old 09-27-2007, 11:40 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Without getting into the philosphical debate on the good\bad of unions --- let me rant...the recent strike has kept me from getting my broken 2007 C6 with a bad fuel pump at 5600 miles back from the dealer by 3 days. Doesn't sound like much but as much as I like this car for the viceral punch it gives me I am not going to buy another GM car until they are owned by a Japanese company....I have had three Japanese cars that haven't in total been in the shop over a collective 20 years as much as my C6 has been in 6 months of ownership...

The UAW strike is a unfortunate reminder of how much trouble the Big 3 are in. This is a small issue among a much larger picture. It is going to get worse before it gets better.
Try working at UPS without a Union.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Dr Feelgood
Instructor

I got an Idea.

Come buy a FORD from me, I'll give you a great deal. Trade those vettes in!! who wants to keep something that reminds you of a strike or bad times. Put a ford in the garage and get a good nights sleep

Last edited by Dr Feelgood; 09-27-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Bgriz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unions built this country

You have got to be joking right....? Try business entrepreneurs who risked everything to become successful.

Quick Reply: Unions and me