C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove my first new corvette today...bye Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Crimecrusher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove my first new corvette today...bye Mustang

I'm turning 40 in Feb. and I'm looking for my next new toy (mid life crisis) car. I've had Mustangs since I was old enough to drive and just sold my 2003 SC Cobra. I've always liked the corvette but guess I couldn't really afford a new one the way I wanted it. Now I can if I keep the MSRP at 50k or under. This keeps my payment in my play money each month without affecting anything else.

When I purchased my new Cobra I looked at the corvette, but couldn't get a salesman to take me seriously and he didn't want to let me drive one or even talk with me about it. It made me so mad I went a block down the street and bought the Cobra. I drove my uncles 2004 Vette, but it didn't have the Power of my Cobra.

Today I went by that same dealer (only 7 minutes from my house) and tried again. They had about 8-9 2007's and one 2008. I drove a 2008 3lt auto, NPP with Z51...and WOW. I was very impressed with the power, handling, and overall feel of the car. It didn't have the raw, violent power of the Cobra, but it felt so much better and the power was close. I was worried about getting the Z51 because of the rough ride I've heard about here. However, the ride was smoother than my Cobra and felt more solid. I've been saying since I've had my Cobra that it was too fast (426 RWHP) for the street. I think around 400 RWHP with all of the other refinements is the way to go.

Next I drove a 2007 M6 Z51 and defiantly liked the 6 speed better than the auto. However, I really think that the LS3 auto pulled noticeably harder than the LS2 M6. I didn't get to really try the paddle shifting of the auto but I may like to try it on my next drive.

I'm defiantly sold on the Corvette over the new GT500. I'm really not sure how to articulate it, but the corvette has such a different feel over the Mustang that it makes you wonder why anyone with the money would choose a Mustang over the Vette. ...and I'm about as die hard Mustang guy as they come.

Now I'm torn about options and color. I'm looking at these choices for a 2008...

1LT, NPP, m6, Z51, Grey wheels
2LT, NPP, m6, Grey wheels, Two tone int

I plan to hang out here to learn more about this car and get yalls advice on options.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
rjr2007
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Corvette is a hole different world.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You probably know this, but the '07 is a different car in many ways from the '08 Corvette. The '08 has different recalibrated steering feel, a recalibrated automatic trans if that's what you get, a completely different 6 spd. manual trans (T56 changed to T6060) and a completely different engine (LS2 to LS3). The engine may be the deciding factor for you: the LS2 was rated at one time at 400 chp; the LS3 is rated at 430 chp and the NPP exhaust available in '08 is rated for an additional 6 hp. Thus, it's possible to buy a stock '08 with the addition of the exhaust only and have a 436 chp car.

And btw, some will debate if the Z51 is too harsh or not, but many will say it is absolutely just fine. I know I do!

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like another one has seen the light.....
Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Gattaca
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Ive driven those cobras and they are trully a blast to drive....however like you said, I wouldnt want one for a daily driver.

A corvette on the other hand I wouldnt mind driving every day!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM
American Made
Double Naught Spy School
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-23-'24

Originally Posted by Crimecrusher
I'm turning 40 in Feb. and I'm looking for my next new toy (mid life crisis) car. I've had Mustangs since I was old enough to drive and just sold my 2003 SC Cobra. I've always liked the corvette but guess I couldn't really afford a new one the way I wanted it. Now I can if I keep the MSRP at 50k or under. This keeps my payment in my play money each month without affecting anything else.

When I purchased my new Cobra I looked at the corvette, but couldn't get a salesman to take me seriously and he didn't want to let me drive one or even talk with me about it. It made me so mad I went a block down the street and bought the Cobra. I drove my uncles 2004 Vette, but it didn't have the Power of my Cobra.

Today I went by that same dealer (only 7 minutes from my house) and tried again. They had about 8-9 2007's and one 2008. I drove a 2008 3lt auto, NPP with Z51...and WOW. I was very impressed with the power, handling, and overall feel of the car. It didn't have the raw, violent power of the Cobra, but it felt so much better and the power was close. I was worried about getting the Z51 because of the rough ride I've heard about here. However, the ride was smoother than my Cobra and felt more solid. I've been saying since I've had my Cobra that it was too fast (426 RWHP) for the street. I think around 400 RWHP with all of the other refinements is the way to go.

Next I drove a 2007 M6 Z51 and defiantly liked the 6 speed better than the auto. However, I really think that the LS3 auto pulled noticeably harder than the LS2 M6. I didn't get to really try the paddle shifting of the auto but I may like to try it on my next drive.

I'm defiantly sold on the Corvette over the new GT500. I'm really not sure how to articulate it, but the corvette has such a different feel over the Mustang that it makes you wonder why anyone with the money would choose a Mustang over the Vette. ...and I'm about as die hard Mustang guy as they come.

Now I'm torn about options and color. I'm looking at these choices for a 2008...

I plan to hang out here to learn more about this car and get yalls advice on options.
Im totally with you. Im a convert as well. Traded in my 05 SC281 saleen mustang, went to a slightly smaller pulley on the blower and a tune it had 443 (rwhp) On a 07 C6 which I have now up to about 440 (at crank). Only C.a.i. and bullets with a custom tune. Welcome !!! Theres great info here.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts

Let me start by saying....welcome! There is so much more to a car than horsepower. You can spend 10K and buy a vega w/a 500 hp that will out run most cars on the street, but if you plan on enjoying a true sports car, smooth ride, great power.... so many bells and whistles. You can't beat the c6 vette. It looks better than ANY stang ever built, rides better, handles better, and still hauls a''' as much as you will ever need on the street. Horsepower is all about bragging rights. A vette is all about driving experiance! welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon you will understand.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, we surely know which one looks better...

Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
American Made
Double Naught Spy School
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-23-'24

Originally Posted by KMK454
Well, we surely know which one looks better...

I think thats the most beautiful vette Ive ever seen.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:51 PM
rjr2007
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's like night and day.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 PM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

I was worried about getting the Z51 because of the rough ride I've heard about here....think that the LS3 auto pulled noticeably harder than the LS2 M6.
thats about what I said the first time I rode in a C6Z06. Rough ride? WTF are you comparing it to? A bentley?
It should have felt that way. I has a good bit more power.

Welcome to light side.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Crimecrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by iridelow
Let me start by saying....welcome! There is so much more to a car than horsepower. You can spend 10K and buy a vega w/a 500 hp that will out run most cars on the street, but if you plan on enjoying a true sports car, smooth ride, great power.... so many bells and whistles. You can't beat the c6 vette. It looks better than ANY stang ever built, rides better, handles better, and still hauls a''' as much as you will ever need on the street. Horsepower is all about bragging rights. A vette is all about driving experiance! welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon you will understand.
First, thanks for the welcome. You are so right about there being more to a car than HP. I guess I never really understood that till today when I drove the vette. Maybe getting older helps me understand that too. I never thought I'd say this...but I'm even considering the auto. My wife's BMW has an auto that is a blast to drive.

One thing I don't like is the cost to mod the Vette. $1600 for gears, $400 for CAI, $1300 for catback Guess I'm in going to a different level now.

Anyone reading this that is a Mustang fan...just drive the vette. My wife thinks this is just a fad and I'll get over the Vette and buy another Mustang.

Last edited by Crimecrusher; 09-12-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 PM
beaverwarrior
Pro

I know how you feel bro, I know how you feel welcome to the club and just wait till you roll past a mustang and see the eyes glued to your vette not to mention the babes man the babes
Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 PM
marct6444
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by gsport
sounds like another one has seen the light.....
The Corvette is a much different car than any mustang! Congrats with which ever you choose.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 PM
AO-08
Racer

Default welcome

... to the club.

Read the CF posts and you'll get a great deal from a forum dealer and great advise and knowledge from everyone else.

Best thing you could do is drop the stang and learn the wave!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 PM
clockworks
Pro

Right on. My previous car was an S197 supercharged Mustang GT with 420 rwhp and 4.10 rear gears. You are right about the Vette not having the "raw, violent power", but I hope a tune can help a little with that (crisper throttle response).

You are also right about not going back to a Stang after getting into a Vette...

Here's my suggestion on options: 3LT, MN6, Z51, NPP. I.e get the same car that I got. Total out the door price was right around $51k (Texas tax is 6.25%). The HUD is pretty cool... I love the g meter.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:07 AM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Another Mustang convert, seems to be a lot of this going on lately. I'm also a convert, had an 03 Cobra as well and wanted a GT500. With the insane mark ups on the GT500 I started to take a look around at my other options. One test drive of the Vette was all it took. Here's what I ended up ordering:

08 Coupe
1LT Group
67U Machine Silver
193 Ebony Leather Seating
CC3 Transparent removable roof panel
NPP Exhaust
QX1 Competition Grey Wheels
MN6 Manual trans
Z51 Performance Package

Msrp is a hair over $50,000 and supplier pricing is $45,215.00
Whatever combo you decide on, you won't be disappointed.

Get notified of new replies

To Test drove my first new corvette today...bye Mustang

Old 09-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Mr Valet
Pro

Originally Posted by rjr2007
The Corvette is a hole different world.
WHOLE
Old 09-13-2007, 12:21 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car