C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where were you on September 11 2001?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM
YeloFevr
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll never forget how crystal clear the sky was and there wasn't a plane in it. It was really eerie.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YeloFevr
I'll never forget how crystal clear the sky was and there wasn't a plane in it. It was really eerie.
So true. I've never seen the sky so devoid of activity all across the country, day or night. I had to fly a lot immediately after the airports reopened. Really weird being the only one besides the reduced staff on a large jet aircraft. FA's just sat in the back with us and yacked it up.

FM
Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 AM
05C6400
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in San Antonio, TX for VTC training. I had to head back to DC the same day and it took me three days. Not the happiest of days to drive across the country.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:31 PM
kornfreak_401
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God bless America and all those who parished...

J
Old 09-11-2008, 02:43 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I was in college when it happened. I remember turning on my TV just to see a huge, gaping hole in the side of the tower... I was floored. I tried to call my sister b/c she worked about a block down the street from the WTC, but I couldn't get through.

Luckily, she was unhurt by it all, but it was a bit of a close call. Later, she told me that she had to run and hide under a freaking car when the towers finally came down...

Bad, bad day in American history. One that all of us should never forget.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got off my 24 hour shift and was driving home.
my prayer are always for those who were killed but my 343 lost brothers are always in my heart.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Subby
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I was in the commuter lounge at collage. There were maybe 15 of us in there all glued to one of the ten or so TVs. No one really felt like being alone at that point.

I remember having to help one girl up to the medical building because she fainted. Later found out her father worked in a building near by. Nothing happened to him thankfully.

God rest those not so fortunate.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

In front of my tv getting ready to go to work.Just back from a week off and it was actually my day off.I had one foot out the door on the way to get my KID in NEW ROCHELLE just in case any more stuff happened.Then they closed all bridges and tunnels and I was stuck.I watched that 2nd plane hit the tower not fully realizing the import of what I was seeing at the time.I got real mad then,and I'm still mad today.THEY should have been nuked,mountains and all!!Left with no place to hide!!!Let them be exposed to the light of day and die.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Eros
Instructor

On a plane to Atlanta from Colorado Springs, got diverted to Oklahoma City, OK. Was stuck there for 4 days. Was a nightmare any way you look at it. Landed in Oklahoma, saw the 1st tower ...people pushing each other out of the windows, people jumping....news cameras zooming in to the point where it followed one man all the way to the awning...it was disgusting. After seeing that, I threw up my breakfast which I just had on the plane, prior to the nose dive we took to land, on a man's suit..... he was standing right in front of me watching the same tv as me inside the little airport in OK....I was embarrassed, but never seen anything like this....they evacuated the airport, people with machine guns came in, herded us out like wild animals, everybody yelling and screaming, planes coming in from all directions....it was horrible...not something I want to experiance again.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

was in Savannah, Ga. making sales calls. have a buddy that worked in a building close to the towers. I called him to see what was going on. We were actually on the phone talking when he yelled OMG a plane just struck the second tower!!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:06 PM
driver 1
Intermediate

I was on a commercial flight from St. Louis to Minneapolis.

When we landed I was one of the first to deplane and I heard the guy in the jetway say to the flight attendant something like "Well it looks like we're not going anywhere today"

That seemed strange because it was such a bright clear day and I couldn't image weather delays.

I went to a counter and asked about flight delays. The lady asked me: "Haven't you heard? A plane crashed into the World Trade Center in New York"!

I turned and headed toward the exit...in my mind I oh-so-mistakenly envisioned that a Piper Cub type small aircraft had accidentally hit the building and I didn't pay it much mind.

I had a carry-on and went straight to a taxi to the Airport Hilton. The driver didn't speak. When I entered the hotel there was a big crowd watching the smoking first tower on TV. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on TV. I was shocked, angry and concerned all at the same time.

I stood with the crowd in the lobby watching that TV and seeing the horrors unfold.

A couple of hours later a number of buses arrived at the hotel. The mostly Korean passengers were from a KAL 747 that had been diverted to Minneapolis and were being received at the hotel by the American Red Cross. They set up mats and cots in the hotel ballrooms and made the frightened passengers as comfortable they could. I was impressed that the Red Cross had a number of Korean speaking people helping them communicate.

I was finally able to check into my room at about four or five in the afternoon. I attended and sparse business conference dinner meeting. None of us who were there could focus.

When I got up to my room. I was on the phone at about 10:00 PM and suddenly all of power went out. Lights and the TV went dark. The hall was dark but dimly lit with emergency lights.

I didn't have a clue as to what was going on but I was very concerned to say the least.

I went back in my room, pulled apart the curtains and was relieved to see that other buildings, street lights etc were lit and that everything looked normal.

I took the emergency exit stairs to down to the emergency light lobby. In about ten minutes the power came back on.

The elevators didn't work and so I took the Emergency Exit stairs up to my room.

Two days later I was finally able to get a rental car and I drove back to St. Louis.

I'll never forget 9-11-01.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

here's what I wrote a few years ago - http://www.waymarking.com/logs/detai...0-b11ce954f56c A little long but with pictures.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
cramcate
Advanced

In Parris Island, SC - Marine Corps Boot Camp, about to graduate in 3 days!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kornfreak_401

J
Old 09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Shanezam203
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a Junior in High School.

Shane
Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 PM
mdb917
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kornfreak_401

J
Amen
Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
kubesh
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In 6th grade just got into english class, watched the whole thing unfold on a tv in the library. I couldn't fathum what had just happened. we were all speechless

Get notified of new replies

To Where were you on September 11 2001?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:07 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was waking up for class at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach FL. My school was actually initially thought to have done the pilot training for the terrorist pilots however that ended up not being true.
I am now an Air Traffic Controller at Chicago Center and work with the very people that helped bring every single airplane down safely that day.

I couldn't even imagine what it would have been like for you people that were in NYC and witnessed what happened. To see a 100+ ton Boeing 767 flying faster than it was even designed to into a building. Unreal!

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 09-11-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

I was teaching a problem solving class in the basement of a school building... everyone's cell phone's started to go off, people were freaking out wondering if the attacks would continue and what was going on.... wanting to get to their kids.... there was a TV in the other room across from ours and we watched it all unfold... I could just remember watching the first tower off and just in disbelief as to what was happening and WHY...even HOW... and couldnt really understand fully at the time.... like time stopped for a minute... I was just thinking OH my gosh!!!! over and over... A sad day in our time....I will never forget that moment and how I felt ever....
Old 09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was in my office recovering from a heart attack and triple bi-pass.

Watching Fox and Friends, I saw the second plane hit.

God bless our “President”. He did what he had to do. God bless those who gave their lives for our freedom and those who are still in harm’s way.

Quick Reply: Where were you on September 11 2001?