C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Squeek?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window Squeek?

I've been battling squeeking which seems to be getting worse in my 08 vert. It seems to be behind my left shoulder but more and more I'm thinking its the windows squeaking, because of how it gets pressed against the weather stripping or something like that.

Has anyone experienced this? Since there is no backseat, its hard to have someone listen for the noise while you drive.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by robl45
I've been battling squeeking which seems to be getting worse in my 08 vert. It seems to be behind my left shoulder but more and more I'm thinking its the windows squeaking, because of how it gets pressed against the weather stripping or something like that.

Has anyone experienced this? Since there is no backseat, its hard to have someone listen for the noise while you drive.
You might want to make sure you clean and lubricate the weather stripping inside the doors and around the windows and even under the rear deck(vert top) cover...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:05 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Well I was out driving just now, dropped the window a bit and the creak goes away, raise it up and I hear the whole door creaking. do you think lube will work, what kind do I use?

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
You might want to make sure you clean and lubricate the weather stripping inside the doors and around the windows and even under the rear deck(vert top) cover...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:09 PM
xtacy187
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KY should work just fine..
Old 09-10-2007, 07:12 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Will lubricating the stripping even work if the whole door is creaking?

Originally Posted by xtacy187
KY should work just fine..
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Caravette
4th Gear

Hi,

First post here, so lets make it a good one

I've been dealing with this same problem. Picked up a new vert a couple of weeks ago. Depending on how the top goes up and down, seems to change whether it creaks worse or not. Try putting the top down and up again, probably make it a bit better.

Next step I guess is to try lubing the weatherstripping as mentioned by a number of other people. I'm not sure what kind to try though, have seen some type of spray on silicon spray used on weatherstripping before. I think I will probably try this first and then go from there.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it's from body flex. i've got the same issue on my '05 coupe. changing the tops doesn't resolve it. if you lube the weatherstriping it will take care of it for a bit, but it will return. i've been thinking about the 'abs of steel' to see if it reduces the body flex enough to kill the squeek.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I have this problem too. The service tech said he can't find anything wrong.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 412 Posts

Stop into any auto parts supply store and pick up a tube of silicone grease/dressing. Lubricate any rubber surface that touches the glass. Then lubricate the stripping and pins on the roof. Apply generously and wipe off any excess that winds up on the top of the windows. You'll have to do this every few months, but it will eliminate almost all of the noise.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Caravette
4th Gear

I noticed the other day if the car is out in the sun all day that it doesn't seem to squeak. Maybe the rubber heats up and stops the squeaking. I am going to see if I can get som lubricant and see if that helps.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Caravette
4th Gear

autoparts store had no spray silicone. Hubby gave me some silicone thats used for pool orings and such and I put a little of that on. Will see what happens tomorrow. Not sure if I used enough but didn't want to ruin anything. Very greasy stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Squeek?

Quick Reply: Window Squeek?