C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Use Super Chargers??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Dasweetgirl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Use Super Chargers??

Anybody can slap a super charger on their car..and and any auto manufacturer can do the same. But to make a powerful fuel efficient engine, thats street friendly takes ENGINEERING. I think NA big displacement is the best way to go..old school!

Lorna
Old 09-10-2007, 05:58 PM
tjl5709
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

So size does matter.............
Old 09-10-2007, 06:00 PM
scraejtp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dasweetgirl
Anybody can slap a super charger on their car..and and any auto manufacturer can do the same. But to make a powerful fuel efficient engine, thats street friendly takes ENGINEERING. I think NA big displacement is the best way to go..old school!

Lorna
Exactly, screw technology. We should also forget about advances in gearboxes like CVTs, DSGs, etc. because old school shifting is more important than performance.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Fuego
Burning Brakes

all motor is definately cool
Old 09-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not overly concerned with fuel efficiency in my Corvette but I agree....I prefer a fully built, naturally aspirated motor rather than putting a SC on a stock, cast-piston engine.

That said a lot of people use FI without issue (unless they get too greedy). I definitely think nitrous should be limited to drag racers at the drag strip (I have a low opinion of nitrous on street cars). You don't have to watch too many episodes of Pinks to see some rather nicely built cars being torn to shreds. I've seen it myself with a couple guys I know....professionally installed systems too.

Last edited by Wayne O; 09-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wayne O
episodes of Pinks ... rather nicely built cars

I've only ever seen hacked together junkers that they don't mind losing.

Back to the topic, why not use a supercharger? If done correctly, it can be lighter and more tightly packaged than a bigger NA motor. If you want to add more power to your existing car, then it's a LOT cheaper to add a S/C than it is to pull your entire motor and replace it with a bigger one.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:35 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Without being offensive the idea that Superchargers or Turbos are not a good way to go is crap ... Some of the fastest most expensive supercars use some form or another of FI . The Bugatti Veyron is the prime example . I agree to get to 500 to 600 HP NA is prefferable ( albeit more expensive ) - But has anyone seen a 700 or 800 HP natrually aspirated motor that you would want to cruise in or drive on a day to day basis ?? ( I didnt say could , I said want ) - Me personaly , I drive my car everday and need it to transport clients , and carry out conversations on the phone . My car with just the bolt on Procharger is whisper quiet ( a little TOO quiet ) and gets great gas milage ( avg 18-20 mpg ) in a great streetable package .
Old 09-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Hawk07
Burning Brakes

Blown is always better...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 PM
huckleberrydude
Pro

Lorna
I don't know. I guess well over 500rwhp with factory idle and fuel economy while running the a/c on the way to the grocery store is not for you.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like blowers because they make cool sounds when you rev them
Old 09-10-2007, 07:20 PM
huckleberrydude
Pro

Originally Posted by huckleberrydude
I don't know. I guess well over 500rwhp with factory idle and fuel economy while running the a/c on the way to the grocery store is not for you.

Would also like to add that my we returned my 06 to stock when trading in with less than a days work and reinstalled the mods on the new one in less than 5 hours. The 06 passed a GM overhaul and was sold as certified product.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

When it comes to Hp, you must consider your ultimate goal as to performance. I for one think that 500rwhp in a C6 (naturally aspirated)will more than satisfy even the most hardcore street enthusiast with moderate reliabilty. If 500rwhp on a 3200lb c6 is lack luster for some, then, Forced induction be it "turbo, supercharging, or NOS" would be the prudent approach.

With the choice in rwhp greater than 500, one must assume that other parts need to be modified in order to maintain a reliable and everyday daily driver. For example tranny and clutch assembly, rear differential, tires, and for many but not the exception, the stock bottom end or short block. These are the basics when High hp applications are in order, not for all but for the ****.

Some other basic mods and additional costs recommended but may not be required (why wouldn't you) when forced induction is the choice of power adder are as follows.

First and foremeost a great tune, then boost, fuel, exhaust temp , and most important air fuel gauges to monitor all parameters of your engine, to ensure all is well with your beloved Ls1, LS2, LS3 and the venerable LS7. So the bottom line, how much hp will satisfy you, what are your expectations in terms power and reliabilty, and finally how much are you willing to spend given your budget.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Dasweetgirl
Advanced

I just think its a cheat... but thats me. I think engines like the LS3 and LS7 are cool because they are getting back up there in power via displacement. Remember boys, "There is no replacement for displacement"

Lorna

Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I just think its a cheat... but thats me. I think engines like the LS3 and LS7 are cool because they are getting back up there in power via displacement. Remember boys, "There is no replacement for displacement"

Lorna
What about variable valve timing? It's part of the engine design, but it provides more power (generally speaking) than a comparable pushrod motor. Is that cheating too?

If you bring a knife to a gunfight it's not cheating when the other person brings a gun.

I am not a big fan of Nitrous, but that's only because I don't like the drawbacks associated with it. Supercharger and Turbo's are AOK with me. :thumbup:
Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
huckleberrydude
Pro

Originally Posted by welcome2try
When it comes to Hp, you must consider your ultimate goal as to performance. I for one think that 500rwhp in a C6 (naturally aspirated)will more than satisfy even the most hardcore street enthusiast with moderate reliabilty. If 500rwhp on a 3200lb c6 is lack luster for some, then, Forced induction be it "turbo, supercharging, or NOS" would be the prudent approach.

With the choice in rwhp greater than 500, one must assume that other parts need to be modified in order to maintain a reliable and everyday daily driver. For example tranny and clutch assembly, rear differential, tires, and for many but not the exception, the stock bottom end or short block. These are the basics when High hp applications are in order, not for all but for the ****.

Some other basic mods and additional costs recommended but may not be required (why wouldn't you) when forced induction is the choice of power adder are as follows.

First and foremeost a great tune, then boost, fuel, exhaust temp , and most important air fuel gauges to monitor all parameters of your engine, to ensure all is well with your beloved Ls1, LS2, LS3 and the venerable LS7. So the bottom line, how much hp will satisfy you, what are your expectations in terms power and reliabilty, and finally how much are you willing to spend given your budget.
I agree, I went the less expensive route, Blower.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Paul Scarpelli
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Until you've owned a GOOD aftermarket supercharger, you don't understand. I started out with a new '94 Camaro with 275 horsepower, and for $5000 it ran as fast or faster than my '05 Z51 C6, and with reliability. (12.41 @ 116.58)

The key is to do it by the book, always use the best fuel, use a timing retard control in the cockpit for when you aren't running 100 octane gas, do not hit the limiter, and keep the boost level conservative. Mr. Detonation is not your friend.

And boost is not "cheating." I used to be accused of "cheating" in bike racing because I had superior equipment, and I trained harder.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Jaxon
Pro

Most new car makers are offering some sort of boosted motor on one or more models except GM. As usual, they're well behind the curve. I shopped for a blown car when I bought the vette. I have and 03 Ford Lightning with a facory blower and and I love it. At 5000 lbs and smaller ci displacement it runs with my vette. If the Ford dealers weren't greedy retards I would be driving a Shelby 500 right now. Easy to get the HP way up and very fun. Superchargers rock. If GM ever puts a SC on a V8 for less the 100K, I'll buy it.

Get notified of new replies

To Why Use Super Chargers??

Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 PM
huckleberrydude
Pro

just buy a base vette for 39k and supercharge it for $6500.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Hooked4Life
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Would also like to add that my we returned my 06 to stock when trading in with less than a days work and reinstalled the mods on the new one in less than 5 hours. The 06 passed a GM overhaul and was sold as certified product.
Ouch, this is a good argument to buy new. No offence, I would do the same thing.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 PM
huckleberrydude
Pro

Originally Posted by Hooked4Life
Ouch, this is a good argument to buy new. No offence, I would do the same thing.

car only had 9600 miles, wasn't flogged very much, but scary anyways eh?

Quick Reply: Why Use Super Chargers??