C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dazed and confused....... Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:23 PM
quicksurfer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dazed and confused....... Help

Hey Fellow Corvette enthusiasts,

I'm at a cross road and need your help. I'm a first time corvette buyer and I'm having a tough time deciding between a 05' roadster with 9,500 miles and (well cared for in MINT condition w/1 year left on factory warrantee) or ordering a 08' roadster. The savings is about $16K +/-. Please let me know your thoughts, so that I can make a better informed decision and I can also be a proud owner of a Corvette.

PS I love this forum, it’s awesome……….
Old 09-09-2007, 03:05 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

get the LS3
Old 09-09-2007, 03:12 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

The only reason to buy the 05 would be the saving 16 grand. If money is no object then buy the 08 because it's been improved and you'll have a 100% warranty. Taking nothing away from the 05 it's going on 4 years old. It also depends how the car is going to be used. It it's a DD then I'd go with the 08 no matter what. Strictly a weekend toy then it's not all that important. What kind of miles are you going to put on the car? You can best answer those questions yourself. Good luck with your final decision.... Either way you'll love owning a vette..........
Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Nobody here can answer that question . . it's between you and your checkbook- period.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Newer is always better. If you can afford it.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:23 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by cthusker
The only reason to buy the 05 would be the saving 16 grand. If money is no object then buy the 08 because it's been improved and you'll have a 100% warranty. Taking nothing away from the 05 it's going on 4 years old. It also depends how the car is going to be used. It it's a DD then I'd go with the 08 no matter what. Strictly a weekend toy then it's not all that important. What kind of miles are you going to put on the car? You can best answer those questions yourself. Good luck with your final decision.... Either way you'll love owning a vette..........
Excellent reply, my thought exactly.

I have a 2005 Coupe and absolutely love it. With that said, as Craig mentioned above, you have some choices to make about your needs and then we can help you decide a little better.

Paul
Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM
SLAZ06
Racer

I advise the 08, not only for the longer warranty, but also the many improvements in 3 years of production. That is if the 16K is not a consideration. I am looking at moving from my 07 coupe to a Z06. For me there is only so high I can go on the purchase price and that rules out a new 08 despite the fact that I'll be paying only 10K less for a nice 07 LT2, naz and 4,300 miles. As I approach retirement age I have to make some decisions and the ability to continue saving at the same rate and get the used Z06 is the right answer for me. I don't want to get up early on my 75th birthday to go apply at Wally world for a greeter job neither do I want to comfortably rock on my porch wishing I had lived a little more in my younger days.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
Nobody here can answer that question . . it's between you and your checkbook- period.

Anyone can easily see the difference's between rides. It sounds like it boils down to $$.

If it is the $$ savings, then the '05 sounds like a really nice car. You can be proud either way. Good Luck

AL
Old 09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
a/gas
Instructor

Originally Posted by SLAZ06
I advise the 08, not only for the longer warranty, but also the many improvements in 3 years of production. That is if the 16K is not a consideration. I am looking at moving from my 07 coupe to a Z06. For me there is only so high I can go on the purchase price and that rules out a new 08 despite the fact that I'll be paying only 10K less for a nice 07 LT2, naz and 4,300 miles. As I approach retirement age I have to make some decisions and the ability to continue saving at the same rate and get the used Z06 is the right answer for me. I don't want to get up early on my 75th birthday to go apply at Wally world for a greeter job neither do I want to comfortably rock on my porch wishing I had lived a little more in my younger days.
man am i with you. i moved from a 06 base to a 06 z-06 this year. best thing i did the car is awesome! enjoy while you can, as long as you can still eat in a dry place.lol
Old 09-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Another Don
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default A Contrian Point of View...

Don't buy either...do some looking around and find a leftover '07 for $10k, or so, off of sticker.

The advantages are that you get a new car with the same warranty as the '08 for a little more than the cost of that '05.

The disadvantages are that you are buying a car that is already 1 model year old and you won't have an LS3 with that additional 34hp.

Just my 2˘

Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say get the '08!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Fer real, what are your thoughts on all the posts/advice so far? A little more info from you would be ... helpful.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
quicksurfer
Heel & Toe

Everyone’s feedback so far has been very helpful! The proposed 05' corvette will clearly be a weekend only car. My biggest fear about buying used is the unknown about the seller and his former driving habits. (I'm I buying someone’s headache?) Often people sell their cars for undisclosed reasons. That single very important item, might force me to buy new. I know many might suggest having the car looked at by a mechanic; however time and distance in this transaction might make it impossible. The good news is, the car is spotless and at first glance appears to have been taken care of very well and is 100% stock.

I'll keep reading the everyone’s posts as the com in.

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksurfer
Hey Fellow Corvette enthusiasts,

I'm at a cross road and need your help. I'm a first time corvette buyer and I'm having a tough time deciding between a 05' roadster with 9,500 miles and (well cared for in MINT condition w/1 year left on factory warrantee) or ordering a 08' roadster. The savings is about $16K +/-. Please let me know your thoughts, so that I can make a better informed decision and I can also be a proud owner of a Corvette.

PS I love this forum, it’s awesome……….
Quote:
Originally Posted by a/gas
man am i with you. i moved from a 06 base to a 06 z-06 this year. best thing i did the car is awesome! enjoy while you can, as long as you can still eat in a dry place.lol

I'd forget the "roadster" part of it and look for a C6 Z06.
If 16 grand is an issue what is 20 + grand going to do...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
GaussianMist
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Go for the 2008 C6.5
Old 09-09-2007, 08:25 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
but I would get the new one.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a fellow forum member bought an 05 with a few miles and time on the warranty. first thing that happened was he had to replace the rear end under warranty. at least he didn't have to pay for it.

Choose wisely

Get notified of new replies

To Dazed and confused....... Help

Old 09-09-2007, 08:46 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Think of it this way... Your paying 16k dollars more for:

1) Newer car
2) Updated interior some option upgrades too
3) Improved steering
3) 9500 mi less
4) Nobodys headache
5) Improved transmission (MN6, but get the Z51 package)
6) 1/4 mi in the 12 second range!
7) 0 - 60 improvement
8) LS3
9) Full warranty
10) New wheel design (if you choos them)

I would say an mere fraction of those things are well worth the 16k dollar increase wouldnt you agree?!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Firedog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not save the $16K, buy the '05 to see if a Corvette is for you, and if you like it after a year or so, sell it and buy a new one?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Ordinarily, I'd completely agree with pTr, but not for $16K or $20K more. If it were $6K maybe not so much altho even that's not chump change. Still, it is a weekend car.

I think OP really needs to see what he wants, and what he can comfortably afford, even tho this is a weekend and probably good-weather only car.

I also think there's nothing wrong with searching for cars where you can, in fact, locate a qualified and capable Corvette tech/shop in the immediate area that can tell you some things about a used car. At about $100 to $250 for a tech to go over the car, this is cheap insurance and peace of mind (most will be toward the lower range, esp. if it's essentially a new car; I had a '96 with 7,200 miles checked out at Les Stanford for $54!!). For that reason, there's no reason to fear a used car with all its implications and potential for having been abused. I also "feel" that just because a car looks great in pics that isn't necessarily any kind of guarantee as to its care. Especially a 4 model year old car that's only got very limited miles on it.

With all that said, if this is your first Corvette, maybe Firedog's suggestion isn't so bad at all. Buy something like it (not necessarily THIS car), get to know Corvettes, stay on the Forum, learn what all is out there, and then possibly make another car decision, literally down the road.

By the way, why not fill in your profile a bit; people might be able to help you from your own neck of the woods or even come over and show you what to look for.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Dazed and confused....... Help