C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does Porsche and Ferrari have cachet and status and Corvette does not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Rocky Balboa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake

If your going to applaud the merits of the C5, I'll be you could have found a better picture to do so. It looks like the car's driver door does not close, and that the car has sprung a leak from somewhere.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky Balboa
If your going to applaud the merits of the C5, I'll be you could have found a better picture to do so. It looks like the car's driver door does not close, and that the car has sprung a leak from somewhere.
Yeah, it sprung a leak from the garden hose near the rear passenger's side of the car.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

"The impression seems to be that a doctor, lawyer, or CEO who brings home a million or two a year wouldn't want to be seen driving the same car that Joe Blow drives to work every day at the factory."

I am a doctor, married with no kids, and could afford a Ferrari, a new 911, or at the least a Z06. But I am not buying one of those cars. I drove the C6 and love its American brute force. I am 100% in love with the looks of the C6. Its drop dead sexy! I don't want to be parked in the doctor's lot at the hosp with all the other docs in their 911s, Mercedes Sls, and other foreign sports sedans that seat 5 but do 0-60 in under 5. I want to be the one in the best looking car that excites me every time I look at it, and even more, when I drive it. I also want to be the one that doesn't waste my hard earned money on trying to get someone to think I am worth a lot of money. I really don't care what people think. I just love this car! I like its looks better than the Z06 even! And I know I can drive it every day!

Last edited by adconti; 09-10-2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: quotation
Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Gmumd48
Racer

Originally Posted by mixxalot
I think it is healthy to have open debate as long as people respect and dont resort to mud slinging name calling:

I think its good we debate on cars and discuss the merits and flaws of all cars, from the amazing Corvette C6 to others like Porsche and Ferrari. It educates folks and allows one to make the best decision as to what will give each individual pleasure in motoring. Cars are unique- different strokes for different folks. The Vette has raw crude power and not the refinement of Porsche or the elite status of Ferrari but each make has its pros and cons. If I were a billionaire sure I would own and drive a Ferrari but I am not so have to find a happy balance. I will admit that while the Vette has amazing power and looks fantastic, it still is not as refined as a new or older BMW, Mercedes, Lexus or Porsche. BUT it is after all a sports car and not supposed to be a luxury vehicle so makes sense. Corvette does need to shake that gold chain white trash image, however before I will actually buy one.

Fact is: here in southern California image is big. The european auto makes have the cachet and status. People are shallow and vain. Now if I lived in the midwest or south, the Corvette does have major status.

On a side note: I do get ticked off when some bozo nearly t-bones me in his Vette. I see a lot of bad drivers in them which does suck to affect reputation and image. If they make the Corvette mid-engine and still affordable and have handling and refinement to rival a Porsche than it wins the competition on all fronts.

Take the Lotus, another amazing sports car but very bare bones even more so than a new Corvette. Yet between the Lotus and Corvette not much can touch these two sports cars on the racetrack or road for pure sports car nirvana short of a mortgage payment like a 200-300k Lambo or Ferrari or 140k Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

Cheers

Look I own a 73 Porsche 911RS that is not for sale but will buy me a GT3, and a Corvette with change left over. Many people feel that way after restoring and caring for a car or cars for many years, I would love a 58/59 Corvette convertible but its not in the cards as a most of the time daily driver

I own it because I love it, this Crap about Southern California being so Image conscious and the Midwest being Corvette territory is an attempt to justify the line of BS, I grew up in San Diego, Visit LA every year for a Porsche Event, and frankly I see down to earth genuine sports car fanatics in several parts of the country.

You are putting down the Midwest ? I have never lived there but Visited many times and Chicago, Minneapolis, and other cities have as many sports car fanatics as anywhere.

Don't result to putting someone down by suggesting that Euro has more poser Style, More panache, more Chic, More anything than a Corvette, If you want to buy one then put your money out and do it

Since you are admittedly one of the Southern California "People who are shallow and vain.here in southern California image is big then in your words "The european auto makes have the cachet and status"

Quit arguing and buy one, I am sure it will fit in quite nicely !

The Corvette is a great car so go have this Argument over on a Porsche board, few Porsche Owners have ever driven a C-6
I had to be challenged to try one

Its time to buy what YOU WANT ! a car will never make you cool or a good driver, or put you in a higher class.................

Buy Drive and quit trying to show off we don't need any more people keeping up with the Jones !

Last edited by Gmumd48; 09-10-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

It occured to me that the premise of this thread is silly on the front side. Why does anyone compare corvette to porsche and ferrari? I am waiting on my 4th corvette (3400 event code, 9/17 -9/23 TPW) so I, unlike a few posters in this thread, actually live with a corvette (currently a 2005 convertible).

As a corvette owner, I do not consider my car a competitor of either porsche or ferrari. The reasons are quite simple: production levels, pricing, engine placement of corvette eliminate the comparison. I think corvettes are GREAT sportscars (I refuse to do that addendum "for the money"). They are great, period. The fact that they are inexpensive for the outrageous performance level, is a bonus. I will assure you, if I had unlimited cash, I would still have a corvette, along with, in no particular order: 430 Spyder, Gallardo, Ford GT, Murcielago, etc...Since I don't, I will live, quite content, with my corvette and gaze, longingly, every time I see a 430 or Gallardo or_________(fill in the blank).

Jimmy
Old 09-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Nav Vet
Instructor

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Go away
what he said
Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Y2KC5
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I don't agree with the Corvette C-6 perceived as an inferior car. Before the C5 this was the case, I had a C4 and while I loved many things about that car, it was a rattle trap, and the dealers couldn’t fix all the issues with that car. The C5 addressed everything bad about the C4 and while I haven't driven a C6, everything I've read from owners indicates it's an excellent machine. Over the last 4 years I have been driving Porsches, not for the image but for the performance, handling and drivability. I will also tell you that the perception of the C6 from the Porsche community is one of respect and interest. The C6 has built a great reputation and I hope some day to own a Corvette again, maybe a C6 Convertible. I caution Corvette owners that bash P cars even though they haven't driven them to get some time behind the wheel, they are nice machines and you have to respect the great engineering put into these cars. I'm a car enthusiast, not a Corvette guy or Porsche guy, I admire many different cars because of what they are not what others think. I admire my Carrera C4S and a
C6 and feel they are both fantastic cars. The C6 is plain sexy while the Carrera has a classic look to it. Both excellent for different reasons. Just my .02
Old 09-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Rippin C6!
Instructor

Default Well...

This is a good questions that has many answers...here are my opinions...

1. Most GM dealers are a joke. The do not cater to the high end customer like Porsche and Ferrari. The dealership experience you get at Porsche and (especially) Ferrari is increddible. BUT...you get what you pay for...and with Ferrari..you pay and pay and pay.

2. For most people, Ferrari's are jewelry, to be admired and driven on special occasions.

3. Porsches are a drivers car. They are fantastic on the track and fit and finish are second to none. But....when they break...you pay for it.

4. With a Porsche and Ferrari, you will not share any parts with another car with a $15k price tag.

5. Vettes are common....like it or not.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 PM
mixxalot
Intermediate

Default Its the Chevy dealers that turn me off to a C6

Again Corvettes and especially later ones like the new C6 are fantastic cars. For me, if I am going to be spending a lot on a car, I want a good experience including buying one from a dealer that treats me well and with respect. Sadly the Chevy dealers are horrible. That and the gold chain white trash reputation must change for me to go out and buy one in the near future.

Porsche dealers treat potential buyers with great respect. Yes, they are expensive and do not have the raw power of the Vette and Viper but superb handling looks and refinement and cachet not that cachet is that big because I like the Lotus and C6 and there is no cachet to these.

I am a car enthusiast. Somehow the message got distorted that I am some kind of snob or vain. Not true! I do like fun sports cars. Whether it be a new C6 Vette, a Lotus, Ferrari or Porsche all great cars. I am not that big on Mercedes and Lexus those are boats for old folks.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Rocky Balboa
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
Yeah, it sprung a leak from the garden hose near the rear passenger's side of the car.

Duh....really??????

You're right...it's a great picture. Make it your wallpaper.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Monts
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffyhog
The impression seems to be that a doctor, lawyer, or CEO who brings home a million or two a year wouldn't want to be seen driving the same car that Joe Blow drives to work every day at the factory.
Yes, some need to keep up their "status" at work and in the neighborhood even though they may actually prefer a vett.

Originally Posted by jeffyhog
I could also spend $500 on designer jeans instead of my Levi's, but I don't need validation by the people who would notice.
Me too! Very good points, I feel the same way.

In fact, I test drove 911's, before I bought the vett. For me, if they were even money, I would still buy the C6! Forget the buck, its' got more bang!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:59 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by adias

P.S. - It does not help the image of Corvette owners allowing posts like Delta1's though. Such posting should not be tolerated.
Doesn't look like tolerance to me in reading through the many posts berating him for his comments. I wouldn't be surprised, despite some of the outraegeous slurs in his post, if it isnt someone having a little fun at our expense? Seems to be havey handed stuff for having a little fun, but it doesn't seem to me that anyone on the forum agrees with him, must less tolerates his post.

Let's just hope he doesn't go get a Corvette. Apparently though, the Jeep Rubicon holds top spot in his lustful heart.

Incidentally, I stopped a woman in the Safeway parking lot as she was getting into her Porsche. I would guess, from the red welt on my face, what Delta1 said about Porsches really isn't true. Ouch.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Alan V
Instructor

Default Down in Flames

As a Vette owner, it deeply saddens me when I see a beautiful C6 with flames on the sides and other mods that cheapen the car's looks and reputation. Such excesses are not seen on high-end Euro sports cars.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

So now that you've introduced this thoughtful, questioning thread and for 10 pages and 193 posts, answers have been given. And you've given some, too.

ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE A DECISION, OR NOT!

That is the real question.

You know about that thing about "doing something" or getting off the pot. My opinion is this one has run its course.

If you want something else, go and do it. If you want a Corvette, decide, do, buy.

It really is quite simple isn't it? Unless of course you have/had no intention of buying a Corvette at all because you don't have the wherewithal. In which case, this thread is all over, but nice chatting...

Again Corvettes and especially later ones like the new C6 are fantastic cars. For me, if I am going to be spending a lot on a car, I want a good experience including buying one from a dealer that treats me well and with respect. Sadly the Chevy dealers are horrible. That and the gold chain white trash reputation must change for me to go out and buy one in the near future.

Porsche dealers treat potential buyers with great respect. Yes, they are expensive and do not have the raw power of the Vette and Viper but superb handling looks and refinement and cachet not that cachet is that big because I like the Lotus and C6 and there is no cachet to these.

I am a car enthusiast. Somehow the message got distorted that I am some kind of snob or vain. Not true! I do like fun sports cars. Whether it be a new C6 Vette, a Lotus, Ferrari or Porsche all great cars. I am not that big on Mercedes and Lexus those are boats for old folks.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:31 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes, I tend to agree with you. My first Corvette was a '63 roadster. I currently drive an '07 C6 1LT. In between I've had 4 Porsches, 3 Alfa Romeos, 2 MGBs a BMW2002, Audis, Acuras, Hondas, Mazdas.... Yes, my greatest "peeve" as others may already know is that Corvettes are sold by Chevrolet dealers. I fondly hope that some day Corvettes will be sold through stand-alone stores or at least be turned over to a dealership that doesn't set up a recruting booth for salespeople in the local McDonalds parking lot or send job opening notices to the local parole board. (okay, okay, I know we have a number of true professionals out there, but you characters are in the minority, believe me and, thank goodness we have you)

I find it curious that many of the members of this forum spend so much time posting or responding to the notion of the Corvette being inferior to other high-end cars. This "catchet" thing is silly, though I understand it.

There have been a lot of explanations as to this notion. The thread has become huge. Is it my imagination, but do most of the responses/posts seem defensive? Many of them offer perfectly rational explanations for the idea of - shall we say, low self esteem?

A new Corvette is not cheap. But used Porsches can be, relatively speaking. So, too, are many Ferraris. So, those of you who suffer from this perception that your Corvette doesn't have the "image" you prefer, then sell it and go buy something you'd rather have. I mean, doesn't it seem silly to spend so much money on a wonderful car, like a Corvette, and then spend so much time trying to justify why it lacks "cachet"? Don't spend $50K or $60K and up just so you can complain about the lack of cachet. I really think there is a minority among us who really feel that way and - except for me, who has nothing better to do on a Monday evening - most of you don't even bother to get engaged in this discussion. What's curious to me is how many do.

Now, I agree this forum is a wonderful place to discuss this sort of thing, but I'm amazed at the number of people who post messages trying to justify their choice of car.

Ever wonder what the Ferrari and Porsche guys - or women for that matter (oh, I forgot most of them are prostitutes and don't have time to read this forum) - talk about on their own forums? I'll bet you it isn't about Corvettes. I will be willing to bet though there are a lot of posts on modifications, autocrossing, concours and show and shine events, and a whole bunch of social events and road trips. Gee, ya' think they may be more like us that we think, but with greater self-esteem? Must be that "catchet" thing at play.

I've been a long-time member of the Porsche Club of America, even serving in board positions and as event chairperson. With very few exceptions, they are just like most of us - but they rarely paint flames on their cars - except they spend more time sharing their enthusiasm for their car-of-choice and not wondering what the Ferrari and Corvette owners think about them.

Okay, one final remark. As a past member of the regional Porsche Club concours comittee (all clubs must have comittees, right?) I talked the group into inviting the local Corvette club to display their cars at one of our events. Everyone seemed really excited by the idea and we reserved a great venue for the event.

Alas, one Corvette showed up. The owner had a wonderful experience with us and we had a great time with him, since I recall he was one of the principals in the local Corvette Club. His C4 was given a position close to the middle of our display and received a lot of positive comments. It even turned out that serval Porsche Club members had previously owned Corvettes and wanted more details on the - then fairly new - C4 and how it was to live with.

Oh, BTW, I don't recall seeing any gold chains on his person, but I can assure you, I had mine on that day. It was one of the best meets we had that year and would have been even better if we'd have some older Corvettes attend.

Am I making sense here?

I need to go find a job and quit spending so much time on this board.

Last edited by last901; 09-10-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky Balboa
Duh....really??????

You're right...it's a great picture. Make it your wallpaper.

Hurry up. You don't want to miss your MENSA meeting.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Money talks, real performance is a whispering Chevy V-8.

Get notified of new replies

To Why does Porsche and Ferrari have cachet and status and Corvette does not?

Old 09-10-2007, 09:28 PM
FUTURESTRADER
Pro

Originally Posted by MNVette
Ferrari, Porsche, etc. have a "perceived" value in the public's eyes. These companies have created a product that are "exclusive" in a person's imagination because of their perceived rarity, high cost, and because of the excellent PR machines that these companies employ.

Corvette is none of these things. It is a high(er) production car, at a much lower cost. GM is a horrible PR machine.

But, none of this "perceived" status is actually real. All of my Porsches were in the shop a lot more than my C6. The maintenance costs alone on these cars are out-of-this-world. A $5000 basic maintenance visit (Ferrari)? A $1500 wiper blade (McLaren)? A $100 side marker light BULB (not the light) (Porsche)? These are all things that people are willing to put up with because of the cachet of owing such a thing. I happen to think that Corvette owners are amongst the smartest out there - they love the look and performance of their car, but they are not willing to pay $250k for it, either.
FINALLY
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
We Have a Winner!

You guys should stick to cars, not Marketing.

I am an Advertising/Marketing/Branding/Positioning expert, you guys are CLUELESS, just like GM, lol.

It's all about "Perception vs Reality"

Do you honestly believe that Starbucks coffee at $4.00 taste better than McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts @ $1.00? Starbucks came in LAST place in a recent National Blind taste test.

Do you really believe a Rolex keeps better time than a Timex, Citizen, etc...?

Do you really believe McDonalds sells more hamburgers than Wendys because they taste better?

Do women really believe Expensive face creams work better than the cheap ones bought off the rack at Walgreens?

Do you really believe a Mortgage is better at Bank of America than the bank around the corner?

It has NOTHING to do with Handling, Power, Acceleration, Quality, John Delorean, Price, nada, no mas, hasta la vista baby, zilch, zero...

You guys are so LUCKY GM doesn't hire ME. I would change the way Corvettes are marketed completely, especially the Flagship Z06. There would be NO discounting of Z06's period, and the price would be at least $100,000+

If GM hired me all of YOU would be paying $10,000 to $20,000 more for a base Corvette.

Be glad GM sucks the Big One when it comes to marketing.

Moderators please Lock this thread, the Guru has spoken.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:34 PM
American Made
Double Naught Spy School
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-23-'24

Originally Posted by FUTURESTRADER
FINALLY
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
We Have a Winner!

You guys should stick to cars, not Marketing.

I am an Advertising/Marketing/Branding/Positioning expert, you guys are CLUELESS, just like GM, lol.

It's all about "Perception vs Reality"

Do you honestly believe that Starbucks coffee at $4.00 taste better than McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts @ $1.00? Starbucks came in LAST place in a recent National Blind taste test.

Do you really believe a Rolex keeps better time than a Timex, Citizen, etc...?

Do you really believe McDonalds sells more hamburgers than Wendys because they taste better?

Do women really believe Expensive face creams work better than the cheap ones bought off the rack at Walgreens?

Do you really believe a Mortgage is better at Bank of America than the bank around the corner?

It has NOTHING to do with Handling, Power, Acceleration, Quality, John Delorean, Price, nada, no mas, hasta la vista baby, zilch, zero...

You guys are so LUCKY GM doesn't hire ME. I would change the way Corvettes are marketed completely, especially the Flagship Z06. There would be NO discounting of Z06's period, and the price would be at least $100,000+

If GM hired me all of YOU would be paying $10,000 to $20,000 more for a base Corvette.

Be glad GM sucks the Big One when it comes to marketing.

Moderators please Lock this thread, the Guru has spoken.
Wow!! actually I'd rather have a BofA mortgage than a A.R.M. from Countrywide financial Also have you not noticed that dealerships mark up the hell outta the Z06? Futures trading is gambling!! and managed futures accounts are bad for clients!!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 PM
redvetyes
4th Gear

Default My Italian friend hates my car...thinks it is stupid!!

I had to defend my American car to my Italian friend who drives an Aston Martin and had a Ferrari ...oh, well not all of us can afford one of those. Well mine is on the road at least and not in the shop like those others.

I finally figured it out..actually mine is really better, just the male ego at work, I can't have the better car!!!

Ciao baby!!!

Last edited by redvetyes; 09-10-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does Porsche and Ferrari have cachet and status and Corvette does not?