C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fueling problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 AM
tnt71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling problems

2007 C6 Z51 Vert

This car is a pain to fuel! I came in to work this morning with the needle pinned on E. The check guages message in the hud was on and the Range was low. I did not think I would make it to the gas station. I started fueling and the pump clicked off at around 8 gallons. I pulled it again and it stopped again at around 13 gallons. After that I could not get it to take any more fuel. When I started the car the car showed about 7/8s of a tank on the guage. This is not the first time this has happened but it was the first time I ran the fuel this low. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:11 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

When mine kicks the pump off it is full, not another 1/4 gal. without running down the side.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 AM
tnt71
Instructor

Default Click off

There is no way my car was full at 8 or 13 gallons. Should have taken at least 15. As I wrote, when I started it the guage was not on the F.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Some pumps have more sensitive shut off switches and diffferent back pressure boots than others. Try finding a different place to fill up and see if that helps.

It's better to avoid letting the tank get below a 1/4 full or so. The fuel pump uses the fuel in the bottom of the tank to keep the pump cool.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:57 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

More than you ever wanted to know about adding fuel - http://www.hessh.de/Corvette/FuelTankSystem.pdf

Page 6 lists some conditions which will cause premature fueling cutoff. If this is the first time this has ever happened, it was most likely the station pump. Just try a different pump. If it happens consistently then you have a problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gota07
Some pumps have more sensitive shut off switches and diffferent back pressure boots than others. Try finding a different place to fill up and see if that helps.

It's better to avoid letting the tank get below a 1/4 full or so. The fuel pump uses the fuel in the bottom of the tank to keep the pump cool.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:34 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

...It's better to avoid letting the tank get below a 1/4 full or so. The fuel pump uses the fuel in the bottom of the tank to keep the pump cool.
The C6 isn't as bad for this as previous designs. At 1/2 full the left tank where the fuel pump is located is still full to the top. At 1/4 full the top of the fuel pump reservoir is well under the top of the gas. There is a venturi pump that is gong to always keep any gas available in the tank in the pump reservoir.

Yes, filling at 1/4 is a good idea but it isn't as critical as it was on previous designs such as the C4. But if you ever run out of gas, DON'T keep trying to start it because you will destroy the pump.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM
atomic orange vert
Instructor

Many more problems are gas station pump related than car related. But I will say, at more than one station, when the pump kicks off, that thing is FULL!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
tampacarlover
Instructor

I never pull the fuel pump handle all the way up (high flow). I always pull it about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up. Takes a little longer but there is less foaming of the gas and when it clicks off, it is full.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

I think it was the station's pump being overly sensitive. The C6 is a pain to fuel, however. I've learned the hard way that once the lever clicks off because it's full, don't try to squeeze another drop into it.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:21 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

happened to me once, tank was nearly empty. stopped to fill up, took only 8 gallons, I knew that could not be right so put in another half gallon before it clicked off again. Didn't dare put in more because I learned when it trips off, don't try to put in any more. I'm sue it was the pump because the next day, seeing the gauge still said half full, I stopped at another place where I managed to fill it up. Never has happened again.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:25 AM
mikesul
Drifting

Had to be related to a sensitive nozzle shutoff, that pump specifically.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 AM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ben dover
When mine kicks the pump off it is full, not another 1/4 gal. without running down the side.
Me too.....
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by tnt71
2007 C6 Z51 Vert

This car is a pain to fuel! I came in to work this morning with the needle pinned on E. The check guages message in the hud was on and the Range was low. I did not think I would make it to the gas station. I started fueling and the pump clicked off at around 8 gallons. I pulled it again and it stopped again at around 13 gallons. After that I could not get it to take any more fuel. When I started the car the car showed about 7/8s of a tank on the guage. This is not the first time this has happened but it was the first time I ran the fuel this low. Anyone else have this problem?
Yes. Mine often does exactly the same thing: the pump clicks off at around 8 gallons, and keeps giving you a hard time after that. Perhaps not coincidentally, the driver's side fuel tank takes about 8 gallons before it begins spilling over to the passenger's side tank.

The severity of the problem varies depending on where I go to buy gas. It's especially common at pumps in California. When on road trips elsewhere I don't seem to have this problem.

A workaround is to hold back the vapor recovery seal on the pump using your fingers. Just keep a close eye on the gauge on the pump, because it likely will not shut off in time. I sometimes have to hold it starting at around the 8 gallon mark, and release it around 15 gallons and creep up to the full-tank mark with only a light touch on the nozzle handle.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 AM
JFFVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atomic orange vert

Many more problems are gas station pump related than car related. But I will say, at more than one station, when the pump kicks off, that thing is FULL!
And not a dime more of gas or you risk the dreaded spill over.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 AM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
More than you ever wanted to know about adding fuel - http://www.hessh.de/Corvette/FuelTankSystem.pdf

Page 6 lists some conditions which will cause premature fueling cutoff. If this is the first time this has ever happened, it was most likely the station pump. Just try a different pump. If it happens consistently then you have a problem.
Wow! What a find... I vote for the PDF to be added under FAQ section in the sticky!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Although many have reported similar problems, I have never had any problem fueling my 2005 C6. I never set the pump handle at the maximum delivery speed...I always fuel the vehicle at a medium or low volume setting. As mentioned, fuel pumps and pressure settings can vary greatly from station to station and even pump to pump. Experiment a little and see if the problem doesn't improve.

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

Great information in the link you provided....thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Fueling problems

Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 PM
SteveTurner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ben dover
Old 08-15-2007, 05:52 PM
oh_suzyq
Instructor

The severity of the problem varies depending on where I go to buy gas. It's especially common at pumps in California. When on road trips elsewhere I don't seem to have this problem.

California pumps are the worst. I just have to be patient or lucky to get a full tank!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM
AO-08
Racer

Default Vapor recovery pumps r bad

The vapor recovery pumps are the worst in terms of sensitivity but they don't smell!

Those are in at least: CA, NY, MA, CT, NH i think. others too.

The deal is the FLVV (fill level vent valve) is in the sub-side (passenger side) tank. The main tank fills first, 8 gal sounds right, and then the fuel reaches the x-over tube and wooshes over. The sudden air pressure increase can sometimes close off the FLVV.

Give it a few seconds to equalize pressure and you should be fine for another 8-9 gallons. Make sure you were really on E in the first place.

Second the post that said the pump will not overheat. The reservoir is full all the time and the pump is inside that. If the car is running the pump is being cooled.

Quick Reply: Fueling problems