C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving a corvette in winter?

Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Berky
Hey guys

I was thinking of buying my first corvette next month. Since this will be my first corvette I plan on buying a used C6... and I will also drive it daily. The only problem is that I live in Chicago and winter is only a couple of months away.

My question is can I drive it in the winter season?? By driving in the winter I mean I will drive it when it is not heavily snowing and the roads are clear and there is no slush...
You have no profile filled out so I do not know where you live.

There is winter & there is real winter, I live in the mountains of upper NY State and we have a real winter there. No way in hell will I take my Vette out of garage after the first snow fall. Ground clearence, Idiot drivers and the one most do not think about SALT & SAND that sh** does not go away fast, it can be on the road weeks after snow is cleared off. I'm in the garage till mid April most years. I really do not need my car sandblasted, or salted like bacon!

Your car do as you want, I have more respect for mine.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by MNVette
The OP doesn't mention whether this will be a Z51 car or not. If it is, I would seriously recommend NOT driving in the winter. The SC tires have no ability to stick below 40 degrees, forget about snow or ice. The GS tires on the base and F55 cars are better, but I certainly wouldn't plan on any travel during a moderate or higher snowfall - the car is too low to the ground to do it without serious damage. I see Goodyear is putting out an all season F1 tire, but I don't know if it would make any real difference on the C6 - the car is just too low to be of any use in the snow.

My advice - get a beater to drive during the winter if you can afford it. Leave the Vette in the garage. It will last longer, and not be the reason for your untimely death in a snowstorm.
This is excellent advice, plus I'd add that if you do buy a Vette and considering your clime, I'd almost certainly change to the highest performance all season tires you can get for those days when you might need it.

I do think a daily beater is your best route. It's too tricky otherwise. Esp. if you start out on a nice dry day, and it snows halfway thru the day---ever seen that happen in Chicago? I have.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:12 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

I live in North Dakota and we get snow from time to time, ha!!!! There are 56 registered members in the corvette club in Minot and everyone of them store thier vettes around Oct. 4 Wheelers for the winter and vettes for the summer.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Ken07AOVert
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default bah

get some air bags, lift the suspension, stud the tires.......lol

I drive a f350 dually diesel in winter, the car is going to just be for watching movies in all snow season long.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care what anyone says, driving a vette in the winter is just plain stupid!!!. I can understand if its not snowing or bad weather and the roads are clear and no salt or little salt is on the ground.

Why the heck do you think I moved to Florida??

I lived in Boston, done all this, Had a 5.0 supercharged mustang, took it out of the parking garage where I parked, the out was a slight hill, it got up slightly and started sliding down, me and the parking attentant had to push it over to the in door so I could back it in and park it.

I then had a trans am and a jeep Wrangler. Insurance costs, maintenance, paying for parking (you probably don't have this issue), was just a nitemare.

Finally broke down and bought an Eclipse AWD turbo and got rid of having two cars.

If you really need a sports car for a daily driver, either get two cars like everyone is suggesting or get an EVO or WRX that will work in the snow.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Fact of life; "SNOW NO GO". Get yourself a 2nd car if you are in snow country.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving a corvette in winter?