C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frame holes for trailering a vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 PM
terryb4471
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame holes for trailering a vette

I went to the dealer today to see how I would tie down the vette on the ride home from the museum. I see that along the frame rails that there are 2 holes on each side. Does anyone know if I could use these holes to secure the car.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 PM
yarbsea
Instructor

yes, these are used with what are called T-hooks or even J-hooks....buy them from northerntools.com...(check the website..lol) northerntools
Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by terryb4471
I went to the dealer today to see how I would tie down the vette on the ride home from the museum. I see that along the frame rails that there are 2 holes on each side. Does anyone know if I could use these holes to secure the car.
I'd tie down the wheels. No, wait, I'd drive it.

I'm curious, why are you trailering the car?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 AM
terryb4471
Cruising

I live in Michigan. I have to work the day shift before my delivery, so my dad and I are driving out that night. I don't want to fall asleep while driving.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by terryb4471
I live in Michigan. I have to work the day shift before my delivery, so my dad and I are driving out that night. I don't want to fall asleep while driving.
Can't your dad drive the Corvette?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:16 AM
keg
Burning Brakes

I think what your looking at is where the lifting pucks go. The best way I have seen to secure a car while trailering it is to tie down the wheels. Wraping a band around each tire and securing the bands to the trailer. Wouldn't you have more fun with you and your dad shairing the drive home?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM
msp282
Instructor

i quickly found the front two but can someone tell me how far back the rear two are? My 08 C6 is already in my trailer but not 100% strapped down..... I am back to work because I ran out of time but i should be able to find the rear two holes fairly easily I assume..?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:21 PM
towjamin
Advanced

the rear T slots are infront of the rear wheels, under the back edge of the door, this is the way they ship the cars to the new car dealers on the car carriers, the wheel straps are great ways to tie them down also, but you do run the risk of making marks in the wheels clear coat with the straps on the long ride home, the mini J hooks and the T hooks that northern sells are good but i would invest in the better ones that AW direct sells http://www.awdirect.com/ they are the professional grade tie downs and they offer more choices to suit your needs, so i would go with the T hook since it is less likely to come out if the chain/ strap gets loose and that is the way they were made to be shipped, and NO chance of marking your wheels, jamie
Old 12-08-2008, 03:24 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by yarbsea
yes, these are used with what are called T-hooks or even J-hooks....buy them from northerntools.com...(check the website..lol) northerntools

I trailered my '08 home from the Museum using these holes and 4 t-hooks and ratchet straps (crossed L side of car to R side of trailer, R side of car to L side of trailer, both at front and rear).

Completely stable for 700+ miles.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mneblett

I trailered my '08 home from the Museum using these holes and 4 t-hooks and ratchet straps (crossed L side of car to R side of trailer, R side of car to L side of trailer, both at front and rear).

Completely stable for 700+ miles.

Me too but only for 425 miles.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
msp282
Instructor

thanks jamie.

i was in a hurry and quickly ran my hand under there and didn't feel anything so I moved on all pissed off.... ahah.... i will check at the back of the door!!!

Thanks.... Hopefully i have an unevenful 325 mile drive tomorrow...

Originally Posted by towjamin
the rear T slots are infront of the rear wheels, under the back edge of the door, this is the way they ship the cars to the new car dealers on the car carriers, the wheel straps are jamie
Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I hope you're not using a U-Haul trailer. I have my own auto trailer now but I tried using a U-Haul trailer once and it was a PITA. I ran into so many problems with it I just returned it unused. Besides, I don't think a U-Haul trailer is setup so you can utilize the oval frame slots.

Originally Posted by keg
I think what your looking at is where the lifting pucks go. The best way I have seen to secure a car while trailering it is to tie down the wheels. Wraping a band around each tire and securing the bands to the trailer. Wouldn't you have more fun with you and your dad shairing the drive home?
Not really...lashing the wheels down will work but using the oval frame slots is the 'preferred' way to secure the car to an auto trailer. As mentioned, you need the Northern Tool t-hooks and stout ratchet straps (with flat snap-hooks on both ends) criss-crossed.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:48 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Not really...lashing the wheels down will work but using the oval frame slots is the 'preferred' way to secure the car to an auto trailer. As mentioned, you need the Northern Tool t-hooks and stout ratchet straps (with flat snap-hooks on both ends) criss-crossed.
"Preferred" by whom, and for what reason? The wheels are as good an attachment point as there is, and one strap can't come loose even if the others go slack.

Get notified of new replies

To frame holes for trailering a vette

Quick Reply: frame holes for trailering a vette