C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exhaust sounds like a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:41 AM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exhaust sounds like a Mustang?

I know this has been beaten to death already here, so apologies to all. Short of buying the 08 with the npp, what aftermarket exhaust system approximates classic American muscle WITHOUT being overbearing? My car is an A6. I am not looking for Indy sound but rather something close to that of my son's 07 Mustang GT. I drove the new NPP system and while I liked it in the valves open position, I think I might find it a bit too loud to keep it open always.

The stock Mustang is a step down from the NPP but both seem to share the deepness, burbles, and sounds I would like to come out of the back of my car.

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

BASSANI exhaust.Not a lick of drone anywhere and a very muscle car sound!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 AM
aero400
Instructor

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
What exhaust sounds like a Mustang?
Good question.

Opinions on the Corsa Touring?

Have any of the aftermarket exhausts (especially the Corsa Touring) been known to rob any torque / horsepower, specifically in the sub 4,500 rpm range?

And upper rpm range?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
ratimux
Instructor

I know this has been beaten to death already here, so apologies to all. Short of buying the 08 with the npp, what aftermarket exhaust system approximates classic American muscle WITHOUT being overbearing? My car is an A6. I am not looking for Indy sound but rather something close to that of my son's 07 Mustang GT. I drove the new NPP system and while I liked it in the valves open position, I think I might find it a bit too loud to keep it open always.

The stock Mustang is a step down from the NPP but both seem to share the deepness, burbles, and sounds I would like to come out of the back of my car.

So, is it too loud for daily driving? After what rpm it get "too" loud? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:59 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Opinions on the Corsa Touring?
Anything CORSA is about as far away from MUSTANG sound as you can get!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 AM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Flowmasters on a 5.0 sound a lot like a Mustang Since I have a Corvette, and I want it to sound the part, I ended up with Corsa Extremes and am pleased.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

I have had a handful of the exhausts on my car when i had my 2005. None of them sounded like the Mustang exhaust. That is the ONLY thing the Mustang has over GM land is the physical design of the car somehow allows it to sound that damn good without any drone.

There was just another post on the forum talking about how the NPP with the fuse pulled actually has drone in the drone zone of 1500-1800 RPM. Makes sense that it would. I am thinking the NPP is probably one of the best options you could have. Best of both worlds. Gives you what you want sound wise when you want it.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

GM went to a different firing order when the LS1 was introduced - that made a difference in the sound. Another issue seems to be that on Corvettes the mufflers are at the very back of the system, as opposed to further forward where most cars have the main mufflers.

All you can do is try to get close, but the deeper, more muscular sound is just not going to happen the way it did back in the LT1 and earlier GM cars, and Fords.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM
E.O.D.
Pro

LG Pro Longtube Headers
Borla Stingers

Will probably be too loud for your liking.

Inside Car

Outside Car

At the Track

If you do a search for EXORDIS on youtube, I have a couple other videos up there.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 AM
aero400
Instructor

Originally Posted by jesse12804
Anything CORSA is about as far away from MUSTANG sound as you can get!
Oh, ok - thanks. I know the Corsa Sports have more of that higher pitched ferrari sound, at least what I have heard. I don't like that.

But the Corsa Touring is advertised to be more of a deeper "muscle car" type sound which is what I'd want - and not too loud. I've never heard one in person though.

I like the stock C6 exhaust, except it could be a TAD louder - and could have a more focused muscle car type note - deeper, lower tone.

I know Mustangs are inexpensive and not on the same level as Corvettes, but they sure sound good. Ford got the sound right. Sometimes when a Mustang goes down my block it sounds exactly like the car in the movie "Bullitt" to my ears. Cool!

Now if Chevy could just get the Corvette to sound like an old early 1970s big-block Stingray....
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
GM went to a different firing order when the LS1 was introduced - that made a difference in the sound. Another issue seems to be that on Corvettes the mufflers are at the very back of the system, as opposed to further forward where most cars have the main mufflers.

All you can do is try to get close, but the deeper, more muscular sound is just not going to happen the way it did back in the LT1 and earlier GM cars, and Fords.

The firing order of a Ford is different, and that has as much to do with the sound as the mufflers.

E.O.D.
Pro

And what he said.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

I know Mustangs are inexpensive and not on the same level as Corvettes, but they sure sound good. Ford got the sound right. Sometimes when a Mustang goes down my block it sounds exactly like the car in the movie "Bullitt" to my ears. Cool!
I hear that!The very best sounding exhaust I ever had was on my c4 and cost me 185 bucks!It was a chambered straight thru exhasut that truly had that mustang/muscle car sound.WWW.SWEET-THUNDER.COM is where I got it and it was his last one for the c4's.I check with the guy once in a while to see if he's made anything for the c6.You may try B+B PRT's,they are quiet but perfect w/headers.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always thought Flo-Masters sounded the best on a Mustang.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:33 AM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ratimux
So, is it too loud for daily driving? After what rpm it get "too" loud? Thanks!
The fuse was pulled when I drove it so it was loud at any rpm. Too loud is subjective. My wife and I liked it for the 15 minutes but I think if we owned it we would be putting the fuse back in for any longer drives.

In answer to your question, with the fuse in place at 3500 rpm's the butterflys open and mild becomes wild. I liked it a lot but I suspect that some would find it offensive (too loud) but at least you have a choice here whether or not to order it. Sample it first.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:39 AM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by E.O.D.
LG Pro Longtube Headers
Borla Stingers

Will probably be too loud for your liking.

Inside Car

Outside Car

At the Track

If you do a search for EXORDIS on youtube, I have a couple other videos up there.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:46 AM
E.O.D.
Pro

Thanks for sharing.
Anytime.

And while mine is a C5 with the LS6, the volume will be comparable to the LS2.

Get notified of new replies

To What exhaust sounds like a Mustang?

Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the firing order that makes the difference! You'll never get your Vette to sound like any Ford regardless of the system you put on it. Muffler placement is the next variable that has a lot to do with the sound of the system. If you were to somehow install the mufflers on a Corvette up around the middle of the car, it would have a different sound. If I'm not mistaken, the firing order on the LS2 is even different from past years for Chevrolet engines.

I have the Flowmaster system on my C6 and it has a deep rumble at idle the way I like it. On hard acceleration, the sound is not really high pitched like some other systems I've heard and I like that as well.

I have a direct comparison since I also own a Ford F-150 that I also have Flowmaster mufflers on. The two vehicles have a totally different sound. If I had to pick one over the other, I have to go with my truck's sound. Don't get it twisted here, I still love the sound of my C6.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
zare191
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

what aftermarket exhaust system approximates classic American muscle WITHOUT being overbearing?

The definition of Borla Stinger
Old 08-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by zare191
what aftermarket exhaust system approximates classic American muscle WITHOUT being overbearing?

The definition of Borla Stinger
Exactly!

Quick Reply: What exhaust sounds like a Mustang?