C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why All The Drama

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:37 PM
mblock66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dandlb
Good thoughts, Jack. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but does that mean they have to share it?? Of course, many times here on CF people ASK for opinions... but that as they say is a whole 'nother situation.

(Hey mblock66, that's a nice Subi! Looks cool)
Thanks man, its pretty fun!

It is a 5EAT (wish I had gotten the 5MT but I drive in too much traffic). I put about 4k into it and it went from 190 whp stock to 290 whp now. And that is all wheel drive HP. It will run high 12's for a family sedan in an auto. Not bad for a 2.5 liter 4 banger

Before I did my turbo swap I was at 255 AWHP and I pulled a 60 ' of 1.72 at the track lol
Old 08-01-2007, 03:55 PM
ucla81
Racer

The original question asked - "Why all the drama?"

Answer: Because there are guys here that make statements like I read above - "a corvette with an automatic is a woman's car, etc etc"

So, if that is true, we are saying that this great machine called a corvette is primarily made for women, since 55% of all 2007 vettes were equipped with an A6. So guys, you are driving a woman's car.

Any guy who would sell their A6 because they think only real men drive an MN6 has a real issue with himself. As has been said many times, 98% of guys shifting an MN6 cannot do it near as efficiently as the A6. If ya like to shift, go for it! But don't say the A6 is a slushbox cuz that slushbox may be way better at it than you are....

(55% guys, 55%. So most are made for women, right? Think about it).
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM
clockworks
Pro

I think the real problem is that some people misinterpret playful, joking comments and get offended.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:11 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I remember reading a letter in a corvette magazine regarding the "You're not a man unless you drive a stick" subject. I wish I could quote it word for word, but it said something along the lines of "Those of us who got our leg blown off fighting for your freedom to own a Corvette are very appreciative of the fact that they make them with automatics" Case closed.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 PM
KUU 08
Instructor

Some guys really love an MN6 and are good at it. But I think more would prefer an automatic than are willing to admit the fact.

UCLA has a point, I admit I never considered it. Over half are made with an automatic and most vettes are driven by men. Reading posts here in this forum I would have thought the majority made are manuals. GM caters to what most buyers want, and that's an automatic. So if an automatic is a womans car then get out my pink lipstick and high heels and put in the drivers seat!

Last edited by KUU 08; 08-01-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:20 PM
SB60
Pro

Originally Posted by mblock66
Well i normally don't have beef with this type of stuff either. I don't own my vette just yet (may 2008) but there is a local kid at the YMCA I work at part time who's father bought him a vette for getting a B in a class.

His first car at 17 was a BMW 3 series and he now has a 2007 Z51 A6 vette too. Of course there was some jealousy on my part since I am 13 years older then him working 3 jobs just trying to get myself my first vette........he went and put Z06 badges all over his car. He doesn't know much about vettes at all other then "magazines say they are fast so I got one" or the history of vettes.

So I rolled my eyes at that when he told me he did that. I think that is just retarded but I guess to each his own

Wow, I wonder what an "A" would have got him!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Human nature.

Most forums are exactly like this one.

People come together for a common interest, and immediately find reasons to disagree with each other.

However,

The positives far far exceed any negatives.

So much passion and information here.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:10 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by BlackZ51Vett
Sort of like how some will bad mouth someone for putting Z51 emblems on their car but they put a wide-body conversion on theirs.......Who gives a *&^%......
I want to know what is going to happen when the Z06 boys start putting narrow body kits on their cars. OMG, watch em scurry-- eddie
Old 08-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove to Vegas a few months back for an Alumni gathering and while tailgating (Cashman Field) this guys says to a group of folks, "can you believe that vette over there is an automatic?" "Who would buy an automatic in a freakin vette?" I politely took a sip of my beer and said...that would be me!! He immediately apologized and went onto say how nice the car was......I told him, "by the way close to 60% of Corvettes are autos"....he shamefully said, "I knew that I was just joking around."
Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Naw, you A6 folk are OK. It's those paddle shifter types who are real posers! JUST KIDDING!!!!! I'd still drive a vette if it had a CVT! I do prefer a stick, but that's just to feel like an Unser progeny.

FM
Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Most people that have negative comments regarding vettes with auto trannys don't own one, never have owned one and never will own one! I have a MN6 but it's a weekend toy. If I had to drive in traffic all the time I'd have to rethink my choice of tranny's. GM builds them both way because the market is there. I'm not about to knock anyone's choice of options on a C6. It's their car and their money.....
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
havesleep
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The best is when someone post a question or opinion and he or she is blasted for there choice of words, or spelling.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I certainly agree with 'to each their own.' Everyone has the right to do with their car as they wish. When it gets down to it...it's all good.

Although the Corvette Forum is a censored forum, it is a great community...a tremendous resource where information is exchanged, experiences are related, enthusiasm is shared and opinions are given.

The Corvette Forum would be pretty dull if opinions were not (more or less) freely expressed. IMO no one should be so thin-skinned that a differing opinion or a little criticism is taken with offense. We should all be entitled to express our preferences, dislikes and opinions.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 AM
mblock66
Instructor

Originally Posted by SB60
Wow, I wonder what an "A" would have got him!
From his mouth "up to $120,000 is what my father will let me have but I felt bad so I got the corvette instead of the 911"

LOL that is what the "A" would have gotten him
Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 AM
clockworks
Pro

Originally Posted by mblock66
Well i normally don't have beef with this type of stuff either. I don't own my vette just yet (may 2008) but there is a local kid at the YMCA I work at part time who's father bought him a vette for getting a B in a class.

His first car at 17 was a BMW 3 series and he now has a 2007 Z51 A6 vette too. Of course there was some jealousy on my part since I am 13 years older then him working 3 jobs just trying to get myself my first vette........he went and put Z06 badges all over his car. He doesn't know much about vettes at all other then "magazines say they are fast so I got one" or the history of vettes.

So I rolled my eyes at that when he told me he did that. I think that is just retarded but I guess to each his own
He will never be able to truly say that that is his car. You, on the other hand, can look him right in the eyes, point at your Vette and say, "This is mine. I earned it." That's worth a lot, imo.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 AM
CACTI 1
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 161 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Default Because . . .

Because, . . We as Americans love drama. If it wasn't
for drama, we would not have the Paris Hilton's, Nicole
Richie's or the Britney Spear's. Just this morning, I saw
that Rod Stewart's son beat someone up and is now
being sued. WOW, talk about drama. Hey, remember
Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding ? Man, . . . now
that was some drama.

WE LOVE DRAMA . . . .
Old 08-02-2007, 01:15 PM
mblock66
Instructor

Originally Posted by clockworks
He will never be able to truly say that that is his car. You, on the other hand, can look him right in the eyes, point at your Vette and say, "This is mine. I earned it." That's worth a lot, imo.

I wholeheartedly agree. My father owned a 91 coupe in artic white and then traded it for a 94 vert in actic white with tan top. I was 17 back then and had already loved vettes.

I got to drive it a few times but not like daily. So now I want my first one and I have been working 3 jobs to get mine. My career, personal training, and part time performance parts selling online.

I am earning those damn keys and it is going to feel so goooood!

I know most vette owners are older then I am when they get theirs and I hope I dont get the "oh mr richy rich in his big tough vette" attitude from people, but honestly screw em. I earned it and it is for me NOT them.

Last edited by mblock66; 08-02-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Why All The Drama