C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worries about the 08's

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:29 PM
C6Brian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetracn98
If you are looking to boot someone here is my vote.
We are all adults here and if you have an issue with bad language, then get off the internet. If it were up to me, I would turn off the censor option all together. Ban me if you want, but my post stands.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:42 PM
El Puto
Drifting

Originally Posted by djfullshred
Yeah, I'm sure big brother has nothing better to do with his time than to monitor every single GM car on the planet. Sounds like something that could easily be done...if there were 15 million people working for Onstar.
No - someone is "dispatched" when you get in trouble. Then they investigate and then you end up with civil or criminal problems. Then they look at your past behavior and see how frequently you speed, brake hard, swerve, etc. - Then your pattern of reckless driving is used against you - Mr. Corvette driving defendant.

I'm with the thread starter on this one. That's why I steered clear of OnStar on my Z.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:50 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What I don't like is that GM makes the OnStar std equipment and makes you pay for it by including it in the base price of the car. At least in pryor years, if you didn't want it, and didn't want to pay for it, it was your decision, not GM's.
I would like it if they would tie the service into the price of the car. For example, I believe the OnStar on my 07 was something like $695. Make it $1000 or so and give me a lifetime subscription to the safe and sound package. I would purchase it on every new GM product that I bought.

If someone doesn't want the package, they should be able to delete it when ordering. I did not have a choice as I bought my car from stock.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:51 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperX
A lawyer friend was able to subpoena cell records for a guys onstar route - to see which cell towers he hit, to basically prove he was cheating on his wife - going way out of the way to see his side girl.

but i guess in the end, onstar helps us keep honest. haha
There's got to be more to this... I'm no lawyer, but I find it hard to believe a judge would sign basically what amounts to a search warrant of his private phone records in what you make sound like a simple divorce case.

As far as the paranoia over OnStar tracking you goes, gimme a break! Yes, I know it's possible. Hell, they have been doing the same thing with cell phones for a few years now. However, it takes a court order and I don't believe any reputable judge is going to sign one unless the same burden of suspicion is proved just like in the cases of judges signing search warrants. I'm sure there's an attorney or two on here who could educate us all more.

However, if you got things to hide or are selling drugs or something, I believe you can probably disable the system pretty easily.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by El Puto
No - someone is "dispatched" when you get in trouble. Then they investigate and then you end up with civil or criminal problems. Then they look at your past behavior and see how frequently you speed, brake hard, swerve, etc. - Then your pattern of reckless driving is used against you - Mr. Corvette driving defendant.

I'm with the thread starter on this one. That's why I steered clear of OnStar on my Z.
To be clear, Onstar does not automatically contact the authorities when they receive a signal that your airbag(s) deployed. Their procedure is to contact the vehicle and if no one responds they assume you need help and call police/ambulance. I for one think that's a good thing.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by El Puto

Onstar or no Onstar, all the cars have a black box that records data at the moment of impact when the air bags go off. None of the cars capture past history data that can determine how frequently you speed, brake hard, swerve, etc. There is no hard drive or remote storage servers at the Onstar network accumulating data as you drive. It doesn't exist.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:01 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6Brian
We are all adults here and if you have an issue with bad language, then get off the internet. If it were up to me, I would turn off the censor option all together. Ban me if you want, but my post stands.

It's not about language. It's about civility and respect. Reading some of the nasty posts on the Forum lately, I wonder it we are "all adults".
Old 07-24-2007, 05:11 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
OnStar will get you a signal in many, many areas where your cell phone doesn't!
Absolutely!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Onstar or no Onstar, all the cars have a black box that records data at the moment of impact when the air bags go off. None of the cars capture past history data that can determine how frequently you speed, brake hard, swerve, etc. There is no hard drive or remote storage servers at the Onstar network accumulating data as you drive. It doesn't exist.

I believe the black box does record a few seconds before impact, but agree that it does not record a history of previous driving.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM
ocsorbil
Instructor

Yeah, I'm sure big brother has nothing better to do with his time than to monitor every single GM car on the planet. Sounds like something that could easily be done...if there were 15 million people working for Onstar.
That's why they have those black helicopters!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
dknight129
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Hey, they call you first and ask you if you need help. If you say no, then they dont call the cops.

DONT EDIT MY POSTS WITHOUT PERMISSION!

EXACTLY, if they call and you are too drunk to tell them you are fine, then they should call the cops on you so you don't wake up and forget that you had a wreck and kill someone else. If you don't like onstar, that's one thing but your example is not a good one.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:57 PM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

I think you should dump your cell phone because it's capable of tracking you in and out of your Vette.

I think On Star is Big Brother's right arm and your are right to be concerned.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
OnStar will get you a signal in many, many areas where your cell phone doesn't!
... Friends of mine got a call on OnStar to tell them their young son had a very serious accident. They were on the way to Maine in an area where no regular cell would work. Because of OnStar they were in fact able to get home quickly and make some very tough medical decisions. I don't have OnStar and think it should remain purely optional. I don't like certain types of intrusive technology crammed down my throat! OnStar does in fact have many legal ramifications and opportunity for mischief when lawyers get involved. Yea I know all about the black box but that’s also another step in the wrong direction IMO. There is nothing wrong with technology per say only how officials and lawyers may abuse it............
Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

OnStar rocks.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:43 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
You need to be concerned about both. Whether you "activate" it or not, OnStar is always working if it powered up (i.e., actually connected inside the car). OnStar's central computers can produce a record, on demand, of your every movement and the time of day - the car is always reporting to cell phone towers, so your location can be very easily determined.

The "black box" in your car is the other piece of "1984"-esque technology that will rat you out. If the cops pull it, they will see speed, g-forces, seatbelt use, airbag use, braking action, and a bunch of other stuff. It is getting used more and more frequently in legal action.

I am not overstating it when I say that these kinds of things will, eventually, turn us into a dictatorship. You might laugh, but the more we accept these kinds of things in the name of "safety" and "security," the more freedom we lose.
This is total BS. You don't know what you are talking about. OnStar is not a real-time system. The only time OnStar has a clue what is going on is when it connects to your car through the phone either by your initiation of pushing the blue button or automatically when the air bag goes off. Stop spreading the conspiracy theories.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

fortunately for the rest of us on this forum, it's not up to you If you have trouble abiding by the rules and guidelines of the forum, your request for termination of posting privileges will be granted.

Inappropriate language

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Forum’s software is set up to block certain words and terms we consider to be inappropriate for use on the site. Typically, the words and terms included are those that are crude, vulgar and/or involve racial epithets.

That does not mean the software will block all inappropriate words or phrases. Setting it up to do so would be an exercise in futility because we wouldn’t be able to identify everything that should be included or the exceptions when the term or phrase would be acceptable in a particular context.

Altering the spelling of words/terms to bypass the blocking feature of the software is in conflict with Forum rules. Moderators try to show some tolerance if the word/term is altered enough so as not to be blatant. As a guideline, moderators often will ignore an otherwise inappropriate word or term so long as at least two letters of the word/term have been omitted or changed to symbols.

They cannot ignore words/terms (even with altered spellings) that are used to convey hostility toward other Forum members.

It's also inappropriate, of course, to introduce inappropriate language to the Forum via images or links.

The judgment of moderators will be final in such issues because the moderators are charged with using their best judgment in maintaining a level of civility that ensures the Forum is a fun and friendly place for Corvette enthusiasts to hang around.
Complaints & Suggestions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have suggestions for the improvement of the Forum or questions or criticism of the Forum or its moderation, you are welcome to PM or e-mail a moderator. Please do not use an open thread for such messages, however.

The work on the Forum's volunteer moderators is difficult enough without having folks calling them out in open threads
Service denied

There may be times when a Forum member becomes so annoying to fellow Forum members and/or moderators -- even without specifically violating any Forum rules/guidelines, that the appropriate remedy is just to deny service to them.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 PM
C6Brian
Racer

Originally Posted by Grumpy
fortunately for the rest of us on this forum, it's not up to you If you have trouble abiding by the rules and guidelines of the forum, your request for termination of posting privileges will be granted.
Well FOCK you very much. Screw this stupidas$ censored board.

Get notified of new replies

To worries about the 08's

Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Well FOCK you very much.

and thus ends a promising posting career
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Mel 2001
Drifting

What is all the fuss. All this technology will save your behind.
Don't do anything wrong or against the law and you will have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:55 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Grumpy
and thus ends a promising posting career

Quick Reply: worries about the 08's