C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual versus automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 AM
sfm
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual versus automatic transmission?

I will be buying a C6 at the end of the month. I am considering buying a used 2006 convertible as there are so many low mileage ones available at good prices. My problem is that it is very hard to find one with a manual transmission. I have found several really good cars but all have been equipped with the automatic paddle shift transmission. My question is for the owners who switched from manual cars to automatic cars. Do you miss the manual transmission? I know a lot of people think a car is not a sports car unless it has a manual transmission, but heck even Lamborghini and Ferrari are putting automatic transmissions in their cars now. Do you actually use the paddle shifters or is it a gimmick?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:30 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Small point of clarification - the SMG transmissions on the Ferrari and Lambo are NOT automatics - they do not use a torque converter. The C6 is an automatic, and it does use one. The C6's paddles will shift slight slower than a Ferrari's due to this construction. Still, however, the paddles shift faster than 99% of the driving public (maybe Michael Schumaker could get a faster shift going?) can achieve with a manual. If you are going to drive the car a lot in town (traffic), auto is the way to go, IMO. If it's a track car, maybe manual. Mine is a supercharged A6, and I love using the paddles - really makes the s/c whine!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how are you going to be using your car?
if it will primarily be in urban area, get auto
the idea that a sports car has to have manual is dated, technology and time moves on, join the 21st century

BTW, I have manual in all 4 of my cars
Old 07-20-2007, 11:39 AM
TESTOSTERONE C6-R
Burning Brakes

A6 all the way!
Period.

I got an A4 and its a lot of fun but if I had to do it again I would go with a A6.
Get the best of both worlds.(auto/manual)

I hate missing shifts....hate get stock in traffic...hate talking on the phone while shifting...that just my experience.

It all comes down if is your daily driver or not.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:47 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a '04 Vette with auto and wished from day one that I had got the manual. My '07 is manual and I absolutely love this car. It's a weekend driver and I would not like to drive it in stop and go traffic every day as we have here in Southern Ca.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:05 PM
sfm
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the clarification regrding the Lambo and Ferrari transmission. I was only trying to point out that even exotic cars don't have to have sticks anymore. This will not be my DD so manual is a consideration. I love driving my Father's '07 Supercharged XKR in sport mode with the paddle shifters, although I don't know how the vette compares? I would prefer a manual if I can find the right car (color/options). However, I agree that in traffic and around town it is hard to beat the automatic.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:09 PM
MaxOctane
Racer

Manual all the way baby.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen on this forum regret getting the auto and go to bed at night dreaming of ripping through the gears in their Vette...
Old 07-20-2007, 12:24 PM
KUU 08
Instructor

Yeah I was a die-hard "a vette has to be a manual". But then...

Reality: For those of us who aren't racers and not trained on a track, the automatic will shift more efficiently than I ever could. I live in a suburb of a crowded big city, and hard to admit but the manual transmission was getting to be a pain. So now it's an automatic. Honestly, the shifting is so smooth and the gas mileage is better! You just gotta get over that feeling of "gotta be a manual - real men drive manual sports cars". Remember that 55% of all vettes last year were automatic. There is a reason for that....So make the decision whichever is right for you. If you want a manual, go for it! I respect those who can shift real efficiently and don't get tired of it. I also respect those of us who like the convenience and efficiency of an automatic and frequently sit in stop/go traffic. Hope that helps...
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JJC5
I had a '04 Vette with auto and wished from day one that I had got the manual. My '07 is manual and I absolutely love this car. It's a weekend driver and I would not like to drive it in stop and go traffic every day as we have here in Southern Ca.

But the 04 is not a 6 speed automatic and did not have the paddles. I've driven manual shift for years, in fact most cars I owned have been sticks and of course the UPS trucks, my 06 is an 6 speed auto I'll take that--I doubt anybody can out shift this new 6 speed automatic.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all personal preference. I've had both- an A4 and a MN6......I sold the MN6 to go back to the A4. I absolutely love the Auto.....but I'm also more of a drag racing guy, not a corner carver.....hence the A4 is a good fit.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's your daily driver and you are in traffic a lot the auto is more practical. If it's a toy then sure the manual shift is the way to go.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
veni vidi vert
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the A6 and love it.. but I've gotta tell you........ there are tons of times I wish I had a manual.......

Drive both and see what you think... good luck, they're both awesome cars..
Old 07-20-2007, 12:39 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

You need to ask yourself, "why did I ask this question?" Then answer yourself honestly. It sounds like you prefer the manual, but are considering a compromise because the search is taking too long. DON"T DO IT!!! Its much better to wait and get what you want than to compromise to save time and then regret it later.

There are auto guys driving sticks for the wrong reason, they have given into pressure to be "a true sports car driver."

There are stick guys driving autos for the wrong reasons, so their wife can drive it, or because of traffic, or because they could not find the Vette they really wanted.

It comes down to no buying a car just to get into a Vette. Decide if yoiu are a true auto guy or a true manual guy and then patiently look for the right car.

-Dale
Old 07-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The automatic/paddle shift may be the future of automobile transmissions but I did not want an automatic transmission in my Corvette. If I lived in San Francisco or had to deal with 2 hour traffic jams each day I would consider an automatic but otherwise....

For me the manual shift provides a greater connection with the car, the road and the entire driving experience. I enjoy going up and down through the gears...rev-matching...double-clutching. I enjoy the element of skill required by the manual shift. IMO the manual shift is what 'sports driving' is all about....I enjoy the art of driving.

I'm not saying the manual transmission doesn't have its own quirks but I've read of many users suffering delayed shifts, problems when hitting the rev-limiter and TC issues with the automatic. I enjoy the more precise control the manual shift affords.

I admit I love hearing those Formula 1 cars going-through the gears at 20,000 RPMs with their paddle-shifters but I still prefer the manual shift in my C6.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Razrback16
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Personal preference. If you're thinking about getting the automatic just to get the car sooner I would advise against this. Get what you really want. Me personally...a sports car should have a manual. Period. Many automatic transmissions out there can out-shift even the best of drivers so nothing against the automatic, but with all the cars I've had, the manual transmission is a necessity for me with a sports car -- economy/beater vehicles/suvs should all have automatics, but a sports car....manual for sure -- it just doesn't feel like a sports car if it's automatic. Just my opinion though.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:32 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sfm
I will be buying a C6 at the end of the month. I am considering buying a used 2006 convertible as there are so many low mileage ones available at good prices. My problem is that it is very hard to find one with a manual transmission. I have found several really good cars but all have been equipped with the automatic paddle shift transmission. My question is for the owners who switched from manual cars to automatic cars. Do you miss the manual transmission? I know a lot of people think a car is not a sports car unless it has a manual transmission, but heck even Lamborghini and Ferrari are putting automatic transmissions in their cars now. Do you actually use the paddle shifters or is it a gimmick?

My C5 was a manual and I really can't say I miss the shifting. From time to time I feel the need to shift, but because my C6 is a DD shifting in stop and go city traffic is just a pain and gets old fast.

As far as the paddles go, I really don't use them much. Really don't feel the need to. I do not track my car or drive aggressively on the streets so it's not that useful for my driving.

Bottom line it's a personal choice...
Old 07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Forget about what others think. Which do you enjoy driving more? In the end, I doubt that it's going to matter which one gets you to 60 a tick quicker than the other or which shifts faster than the other; what matters is which you enjoy driving more. Once you decide the answer to that question, don't settle or you'll regret it for as long as you own the car. BTW, if you think it's tough finding a vert with a manual transmission, try finding one with manual AND Z51 AND navigation - if that's the combo you're looking for you could be in for a long search.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual versus automatic transmission?

Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 PM
sfm
Heel & Toe

The truth is I am only considering the automatic as it would increase my buying choices and get me into a car sooner. If two equal cars were available and one was manual and one was automatic I would definitely buy the manual. I have owned 4 Corvettes and none have been automatic. My wife actually prefers manual to automatic, so I can't even say I have to compromise so that she can drive the car. I guess I have answered my own question.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:38 PM
KUU 08
Instructor

Then a manual it is! Go for it! As a side note, I personally prefer a custom order. That way you get exactly what you want, and every possible option/combination you want. I don't care about the wait, if it means the perfect vette....good luck!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

nothing beats downshifting with a manual and hearing those pipes burbble. I guess I have always been of the opinion that a fast car needs to be shifted. If you want an auto and you intend to cruise around then get one of those chyrsler 300's with a hemi, they have a new one out, supposed to be fast and it's auto matic and cheaper.

Quick Reply: Manual versus automatic transmission?