C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip - Seattle to Denver and Yellowstone - long post - 5 min you won't get back

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Road Trip - Seattle to Denver and Yellowstone - long post - 5 min you won't get back

Warning – this post may be of no interest to anyone else… kind of like having to watch someone’s home movies of their vacation!

The wife had to go to Denver for work, so I thought it was a perfect opportunity for a Road Trip!

Left Redmond late Friday, and had to be in Denver by Sunday evening... Quick stay in SE Oregon, and then on to Salt Lake City overnight. Dodged all of the blown truck tires on the road, but while avoiding one, nailed a pothole at a bridge seam - at well over the speed limit. That made me slow down!

Utah is beautiful - stark, but with great vistas and nice flat roads:

Took the long way south of SLC, to make the drive through I70. Bad move, as they had a long section of highway (the beautiful stretch along the river) closed, so everything slowed to a crawl. Just had enough time to stop for a quick stretch and beautiful fresh air in Aspen:

Once we got to Denver my wife had to work for a couple days, while I cleaned up bugs and cruised the old neighborhood:

Then it was off to Yellowstone - drove through Casper, WY - running late, so no chance to stop by the air museum... next trip definitely:

Spent the day in Cody at the museum, and stayed at a ranch with cabins built by Buffalo Bill's niece:

Spent the next two days in Yellowstone - Absolutely beautiful and fascinating scenery:
Day 1:

Day 2 - Had to wash the car in the morning – the bugs were even worse than after arriving in Denver , and the road into Yellowstone was being re-paved – dirt/gravel road for 10 miles, so between bugs and mud, I just had to wash it!

I saw a few other Corvettes on my drive (8-9, with 7-8 waves – many from across divided freeways!) No other Vettes cruising through Yellowstone though, except what looked like a 4 person family, with Dad and son in the lead car and Mom and daughter following close behind:

Great encounter – they pulled over to let me pass, and there were 6 hands waving! Mom and Dad are raising their kids right! And boy, am I gald I washed the car that morning!

Back on the open road – and the roads through Montana really are open! Too bad they were forced to comply with national speeding guidelines... It would have been a lot more fun if speeding infractions were still $5 fines.

All together just under 3K miles. Averaged 25 mpg, and about 75 mph (including the city driving time). Washed the car 3 times, and that was showing lots of restraint (really tempted to stop and wash it 7 times, but figured my wife wouldn’t do another road trip with me!) Passed about a bazillion cars. Found a 6.8 carat sapphire. 0 tickets. 2 close calls with deer, and found out that the Z51, with the Sport seats, is comfortable enough for 8-9 hours at a stretch, and can hold 9 days of clothing, laptops, and cameras (and car wash supplies!) - even with the top off! Truly a great car!

While I understand many people babying their Corvettes, and trying not to rack up the miles or get them wet, for me it's all about driving! Preferrably it doesn't rain, so I can keep the top off all of the time, but even so - What a blast!

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 07-19-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 PM
0SicMSP - Daniel
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome pics!!! But I'm glad I don't live there, too many car wash days would be needed!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:46 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,607 Likes on 1,636 Posts

Magnificent! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:48 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Great stuff, Joe! I'm curious, how do you wash your car when you're traveling? Do you do it yourself or take it through a wash?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Great trip.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:04 PM
MONTVALEGOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Awesome post and well worth the 5 minutes. See the USA! What a beautiful country. Please share again.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Great stuff, Joe! I'm curious, how do you wash your car when you're traveling? Do you do it yourself or take it through a wash?
Hi Michael! I wash it myself in one of the self service stalls. A bottle of Z7, a bottle of Z6, a wash mitt, and a few microfiber towels, and I can give her a decent bath. It ends up taking lots of quarters, as I'll add soap to the sponge, wet it and the car down, clean off a section, and then have to plug in more quarters to rinse the mitt and car, and repeat the above. The only other difficult thing is making sure I have a chance to wash and dry the towels, or bring lots of them with me.

It's a small price to pay to not drive around in a dirty Vette!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Fastronaut
CF Senior Member Emeritus
Support Corvetteforum!

Are we there yet? (J/K)

Terrific post and wonderful pictures. I feel like I went with you.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your trip report! I'm waiting for a status report on my '08 order from 6/21 & this was just the vicarious tonic I needed to ease the pain!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,069 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Good to see you two Driving the USA in your Chevrolet!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Back on the open road – and the roads through Montana really are open! Too bad they were forced to comply with national speeding guidelines... It would have been a lot more fun if speeding infractions were still $5 fines.
I just got back from a trip to Glacier. My wife got sick in the middle of the night so we broke camp and headed to town. Going through Columbia Falls, Montana at 2:30 AM, on a four-lane highway where all traffic lights were on flash and not a car in sight, we got a ticket for doing 41 mph! (This was in my brothers Honda Ridgeline pickup.) Apparently there was a stretch of a few blocks where the speed limit was 25...I could see a 45 mph sign while getting the ticket. Two lane blacktops were 70 mph. I guess I was a danger to the flying insects.

Oh well, sounds like you had a much better road trip. Nice pics!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Monterrey Bill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Awesome shots, Thanks for sharing
Old 07-19-2007, 04:03 PM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Enjoyed your thread! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 PM
NEWC5SHOPPER
Advanced

Default Cody Digs????

Hey, WAwatchnut......!

Wonderful pics..... the wifey and i are going to yellowstone in late august in our 07 vert..... we have been there several times and just love it, so we are going again... i am interested in more info about where you stayed in cody! those cabins look awesome! if you can, let me know the scoop! cody makes a wonderful central spot to make day trips from.... thanks!-------Kevin
Old 07-19-2007, 05:23 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice pics.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 PM
exaf86
Racer

Is this a GREAT country or what? That 1st shot of a wide open road ahead gives me a WOODY!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
PAvetter
Pro

Originally Posted by exaf86
Is this a GREAT country or what? That 1st shot of a wide open road ahead gives me a WOODY!!!
Someone gave you a '41 Ford Station Wagon?

(Sorry couldn't help myself)

Nice photos WA!!

Get notified of new replies

To Road Trip - Seattle to Denver and Yellowstone - long post - 5 min you won't get back

Old 07-19-2007, 06:11 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Now that's what I call a road trip!!

We've done a couple of long ones in our 2006 coupe....the longest 7,000 miles and the other 4,000. The C6 is a great touring automobile.

Thanks for the write-up and the pics.

Hope to see you at the All Corvette Show at the Triple-X in Issaquah next month.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Thanks for sharing! Great pics...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:29 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Good for you!!

There is nothing that compares to a road trip with wife in a C6!

What a country!

Quick Reply: Road Trip - Seattle to Denver and Yellowstone - long post - 5 min you won't get back