C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod to c6 Nav howto?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 AM
o0zeno0o
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod to c6 Nav howto?

I remember back in late 2005 seeing a post where someone integrated they're iPod into their Nav unit and HUD. Can't seem to find it again though. Anyone remember it/know where I can get it?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 PM
bcopper
Heel & Toe

Default I Pod Integration

I got mine from iConnect by Smart Park.

My 06 C6 has Nav, XM.

This works most of the time. You can navigate the iPod through your touchscreen on the Nav unit. I have a hard time switching between artist and songs, but it might just be me.

Their phone is 800-447-6825.

With XM, the module is installed next to the XM module which is just above the driver side rear wheel. The cables are then run under the carpet, behind the driver seat, under the carpet, into the console, and into the console storage space.

They will give you a list of installers in your area.

Bill
Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM
warc1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GM is offering a dealer installed accessory called the Personal Audio Link that will integrate an IPod with the Nav and provide a docking/charging station. You need both the Nav and XM radio, although the XM radio does not have to be activated. The head unit for the Nav will be able to control the Ipod. It is supposed to be available in September at a cost of around $200.

http://wheeltalk.fancal.net/?p=865

http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/jalopn...pod-228104.php
Old 07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
viet vets vette
Intermediate

How about a non nav unit mp 3 player hook up.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:45 PM
SteveG1
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by warc1
GM is offering a dealer installed accessory called the Personal Audio Link that will integrate an IPod with the Nav and provide a docking/charging station. You need both the Nav and XM radio, although the XM radio does not have to be activated. The head unit for the Nav will be able to control the Ipod. It is supposed to be available in September at a cost of around $200.
I think the fair question to ask is September of WHICH year?

I've had my 2007 since August of 2006 and have been patiently awaiting the soon to be released for the ENTIRE GM 2007 line (which I assume would be inclusive of the Corvette and I hear 2008's are SHIPPING NOW), ever since.

Having to physically unplug my iPod's RF adapter and manually turn-off the iPod every time I get out of the car is a pain, as it turns my console storage compartment into a toaster oven if I forget. Plus leaving the iPod plugged into the RF adapter sometimes puts the iPod into some funkified mode where you can no longer turn it off unless you completely discharge the iPod's battery. That's not exactly graceful or convenient, but that one's Apple's firmware's fault.

So I am waiting with baited breath, prepared to pass out with utter joy and total shock from disbelief when I see the Personal Audio Link from GM actually available for my 2007 Corvette with NAV.

Perhaps I'm just getting cynical in my old age, or overly impatient, but I want that great GM feeling with Genuine GM Parts. So PLEASE GM, ship this thing FINALLY!

Cheers, Steve
Old 07-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG1
Having to physically unplug my iPod's RF adapter and manually turn-off the iPod every time I get out of the car is a pain, as it turns my console storage compartment into a toaster oven if I forget.
I always thought it was the transmission tunnel or watever it is that underneath that compartment that got that got toasty, and not the iPod and radio transmitter getting it toasty. Are you sure it's from the RF adapter? ~Juliet
Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 AM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bcopper
I got mine from iConnect by Smart Park.

My 06 C6 has Nav, XM.

This works most of the time. You can navigate the iPod through your touchscreen on the Nav unit. I have a hard time switching between artist and songs, but it might just be me.

Their phone is 800-447-6825.

With XM, the module is installed next to the XM module which is just above the driver side rear wheel. The cables are then run under the carpet, behind the driver seat, under the carpet, into the console, and into the console storage space.

They will give you a list of installers in your area.

Bill

I have this too, installed it myself, not a big deal at all, remove the waterfall (on a vert) plug it into the XM and run the wire (I drilled a hole in the rear of my console- can only see it from the inside). The set up works well but IF the General ever gets the PAL out and if it provides more robust control of the iPod I will make the switch.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Clubowner
Instructor

I recently installed a USA SPEC11 IPOD adapter and am very happy with it. Like other's it connects directly to the XM module and works off of XM2 channel...I've had it for a few weeks and haven't had any problems with it...My IPOD sits in my glove box, not center console...it dosen't get hot, misfire or skip any songs...In fact I leave it in there most of the time and it's fine and it recharges while on and then shuts itself off when i leave the car. It dosen't have any song/artist info posted on XM2 but that dosen't bother me...you can control the songs from the steering wheel (up/dn buttons) or directly from the IPOD itself...Until something better comes out I am 100% satisfied. The install took less then 25 minutes and no drilling was required..I had Sound Advise do the install along with some new speakers, an amp and subs and it sounds great.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM
0KERBECK CORVETTE
Former Vendor

Personal Audio Link is happening & will be a dealer installed item, not just a plug-in. Latest announcement is October 2007 release.

HarryB.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 PM
cspnboy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KERBECK CORVETTE
Personal Audio Link is happening & will be a dealer installed item, not just a plug-in. Latest announcement is October 2007 release.

HarryB.
Great news! I will stop by in October, drop off my 'vette and play poker at the Borgata while it's installed.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:24 PM
0KERBECK CORVETTE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cspnboy14
Great news! I will stop by in October, drop off my 'vette and play poker at the Borgata while it's installed.
Call first to Beat The Rush!

...Oh and remember you can't bluff anyone when playing at the $2 and $4 tables...I tried and an 80 year old woman kicked my b***!

HarryB.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:58 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I got tired of waiting for the GM PAL, so I bought a USA SPEC11 Ipod adapter. Really easy to install in my 2006 convertible (the XM module is behind the waterfall). I'm not really worried about heat since I have a Nano (all flash memory), so the Ipod sits in the console. The SPEC11 works and sounds fine, but I'm less than thrilled with the way its controlled through the NAV Audio screen, and I don't understand why it only shows the song and artist name at the beginning of a track, and then reverts to a funky track number. It will be decision time again once the GM PAL is released....
Old 07-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Tri-Tip
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Say I wanted to mount the iPod next to the console in the passenger footwell where I could see and control it from the drivers seat, and just wanted to pipe the sound into the sound system, on a specific frequency (but not via RF), and wanted to charge the iPod while the car was on.

Is there a device for this? I would imagine that it would be generic and not car-specific???
Old 07-27-2007, 04:41 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

A few months ago, I offered this solution:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1733002

You might want to look at it and see if it would meet your needs. It's simple and cheap, but it is not a fully integrated Ipod solution.

You don't need the changer for this solution - you can still tap into the auxiliary input that the XM radio uses.

PM me if you have any interest.

Ray
Old 08-02-2007, 09:18 AM
ShockerRacing
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a base stereo system with the single cd MP3 player. Does anyone know if I can hook up my Ipod to this and if so how?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 PM
GHWelles
Racer

Originally Posted by warc1
I notice XM has poor fidelity. The frequency response is limited and the signal sounds compressed. Is this a fault of the signal, or would it mean the fidelity of the IPOD would be limited by going through the XM system?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ShockerRacing
I have a base stereo system with the single cd MP3 player. Does anyone know if I can hook up my Ipod to this and if so how?
There are a whole bunch of links in the FAQ section on this subject, but here's a recent one:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1773502

Get notified of new replies

To iPod to c6 Nav howto?

Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 AM
ShockerRacing
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info! I have followed a bunch of links and have not found a definitive answer. Is there an adapter I can buy that will plug into the back of the base stereo to be able to hook up my iPod?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
teazr1
Racer

How about those of us with a NAV unit that does NOT have XM?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default PAL delivery...

FYI - I spoke to someone directly at GM with knowledge of the PAL release. I was told that it would be released in 4th qtr (of this year) for 2008's, with retrofits for 2005-2007 to be determined...

Aceman

Quick Reply: iPod to c6 Nav howto?