C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REPORT: First 80 miles in my new 2008

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Is it later, yet?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Congratulations on your new Corvette.

Hurry up and kiss the wife and wash the car. I dying to hear what WOT was like.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

It's hard to quantify, but lets just say it's fast. I nailed it from second and even from a roll in first a couple of times. I was on two lane roads quite a bit today, so I HAD to pass several cars from about 55-60mph in third gear as well.

The first time I ran it hard - in second gear, I immediately knew it was a significant step up from my previous C6's. No question.

Then, I dropped into first at about 20mph, and ran it to redline in first, second and third, and eased into fourth. I was astonished at how quickly redline came up in second gear. Yes, this car has lower gearing than my last car (the F55), so that accounts for some difference, but I can assure you that even taking into account the gearing, this car is quite a bit faster.

I was thinking about 1/4 mile times, and thinking that we'll definitely see some 11's, and some 117-118 trap speeds when good weather comes around (not neccessarily me, but by some good drivers).

This car is a lot of fun. And I'll repeat again - I really like the NPP exhaust a lot. I had the fuse pulled again most of the day today. The only time the "drone" is really an issue is if you go up an incline at about 55-60 mph in sixth gear (yes, I do that sometimes!). Drop to a lower gear and all is well. And on basically flat roads, it's not an issue at all. I will put a switch in for extended freeway driving, but for now, I don't have any plans to put the fuse back in right away.

With them open, they sound like about 80-90% of the Bullets I've had on three Covettes. In fact, above about 5000 rpm running wide open, I'd say they are very close to the Bullets. And I'm very happy with the looks of the tips.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:28 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

jschindler -

You sound HAPPY

Howard
Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by jschindler
It's hard to quantify, but lets just say it's fast. I nailed it from second and even from a roll in first a couple of times. I was on two lane roads quite a bit today, so I HAD to pass several cars from about 55-60mph in third gear as well.

The first time I ran it hard - in second gear, I immediately knew it was a significant step up from my previous C6's. No question.

Then, I dropped into first at about 20mph, and ran it to redline in first, second and third, and eased into fourth. I was astonished at how quickly redline came up in second gear. Yes, this car has lower gearing than my last car (the F55), so that accounts for some difference, but I can assure you that even taking into account the gearing, this car is quite a bit faster.

I was thinking about 1/4 mile times, and thinking that we'll definitely see some 11's, and some 117-118 trap speeds when good weather comes around (not neccessarily me, but by some good drivers).

This car is a lot of fun. And I'll repeat again - I really like the NPP exhaust a lot. I had the fuse pulled again most of the day today. The only time the "drone" is really an issue is if you go up an incline at about 55-60 mph in sixth gear (yes, I do that sometimes!). Drop to a lower gear and all is well. And on basically flat roads, it's not an issue at all. I will put a switch in for extended freeway driving, but for now, I don't have any plans to put the fuse back in right away.

With them open, they sound like about 80-90% of the Bullets I've had on three Covettes. In fact, above about 5000 rpm running wide open, I'd say they are very close to the Bullets. And I'm very happy with the looks of the tips.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:12 PM
TR-6060
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

Congrats on the new ride!!

I've been reading this thread with a great amount of interest. The clearly perceivable power increase coupled with the exhaust that can go from quiet to near Bullet loud when you're on it is fantastic! The tranny sounds like a winner too. How is the shifting at high RPM, do you feel like you can makes the shifts faster with the new tranny?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by TR-6060
...The tranny sounds like a winner too. How is the shifting at high RPM, do you feel like you can makes the shifts faster with the new tranny?
That's a good question. It sounds like a combination of the trans, the shifter and the engine make it all better, but I'll let "the new owner" speak to that one.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:46 AM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the '08! Good report!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the excellent write-ups. Continue to enjoy your fine ride.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

Cool...quite a bit faster hugh. I'm gonna guess right now that I'm really gonna feel the difference coming from an A6 auto going into a 2008 Mn6 Z51 NPP. I know manuals and the Z51 gearing pull harder...so couple that with 50+rwhp over my A6 and I'm really gonna feel the difference..especially from a roll.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Howard - yes, this car is a lot of fun. Between the Z51 handling, and the power, this car is something special. It remains to be seen if I'll miss having a convertible, but for the next three months in Houston its way too hot and humid to miss it anyway.

TR-6060 - I never had an issue shifting any of my cars. I know this sounds a little cocky, and I'm sorry for that, but shifting has always been something I'm really good at. Goes back to drivers ed in 1968 - that's when I learned to powershift (long story, and I'm not kidding). I can bang off extremely fast shifts in any of the Corvettes I've owned. Needless to say, the new one should be just as good or better.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:48 AM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Jim - All of your reviews so far have got me excited about getting an '08. The tough part for me is going to be the wait while mine is being built. I'm anxious to check your new one out up close.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like Chevy came up with a winning combo. Count me as jealous and I appreciate you keeping us informed.

It seems like the stars came together for such a big leap forward in the middle of a model run. With GM consolidating engines between lines and Tom Wallace wanting to make his own mark, we ended up with a significantly better C6. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this progress continues into the next Corvette (C7).
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by B-Myster
Jim - All of your reviews so far have got me excited about getting an '08. The tough part for me is going to be the wait while mine is being built. I'm anxious to check your new one out up close.
Barry - I'm sorry I have not gotten back to you yet. Things have been very hectic. Give me a call (again) when you have a few minutes.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Marina Blue
Sounds like Chevy came up with a winning combo. Count me as jealous and I appreciate you keeping us informed.

It seems like the stars came together for such a big leap forward in the middle of a model run. With GM consolidating engines between lines and Tom Wallace wanting to make his own mark, we ended up with a significantly better C6. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this progress continues into the next Corvette (C7).
I agree. The Z06 is truly a special car, but at a price that I simply can't justify. With the improvements to the 08 base car, I feel like this is a more significant car than the Z06 because it's much more affordable to a lot of people. I look at all the $50,000 Tahoes and Suburbans, and it just shows that a lot of people can afford a $50k vehicle. Have one with such incredible performance and refinement shows that GM can do some things very well.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Congratulations on the new Corvette and nice write-up.

Red is good.

Overall your evaluation confirms what was anticipated...slight improvements with the transmission, steering and no doubt a bit more power.

I'm sure the new exhaust is an improvement over the weak sounding stock Corvette exhaust but I was surprised to hear you say it produces "very little drone." I would have thought the new exhaust would be drone-free. I still feel a 'full-time' after-market exhaust is the way to go.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions. Enjoy your beautiful new C6 and drive safe.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:14 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Congratulations on the new Corvette and nice write-up.

Red is good.

Overall your evaluation confirms what was anticipated...slight improvements with the transmission, steering and no doubt a bit more power.

I'm sure the new exhaust is an improvement over the weak sounding stock Corvette exhaust but I was surprised to hear you say it produces "very little drone." I would have thought the new exhaust would be drone-free. I still feel a 'full-time' after-market exhaust is the way to go.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions. Enjoy your beautiful new C6 and drive safe.
I'm sorry if I mislead on the drone. I meant with the fuse pulled. With the fuse in, and working as it's supposed to, there is no drone at all - its very quiet at cruising speed.

Get notified of new replies

To REPORT: First 80 miles in my new 2008

Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

Jim,

Congratulations on the new car! Can't wait to see it!

I am starting to get Vette Fever again!

EDIT: Oh yeah! ...this thread is useless without pics! ;-)~

Corey

Last edited by SAXN8R; 07-12-2007 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to bust Jim's Ball's
Old 07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Rexrichard
Heel & Toe

Default REPORT: First 80 miles in my new 2008

Congratulations!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Need Pics

Quick Reply: REPORT: First 80 miles in my new 2008