C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 - What's your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 AM
blkvette1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 - What's your thoughts?

If the FIRST YEAR orders of the C7 are in July 2010, that means July 2011 for an order on a C7 that has been tested AND FIXED/RE-ENGINEERED over the first 12 months of the "first year" cycle of the C7.

I wouldn't touch the 1st year cycle of any performance vehicle - it is a BETA version of the "fixed" car that will be out the next year (after it has been tested by the consumer) - which is exactly what happened to the C6 (axles, flywheels, tops and on and on and on). Actually, the 3rd cycle (year ) would be the best.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:41 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

If everyone agreed with this philosophy, there never would be a first year Corvette...or any other car for that matter.

Based on this, I would have to assume that all we would ever get would be an unending run of the same car with some upgrades or refinements every year. I think that would be not only boring, but a financial disaster for any car company.

I've bought many "first year" cars over the years and have never found it to be a major issue. My 2005 C6 had some minor issues which were efficiently addressed by my dealer and the car has been trouble free for a long time now. Others may have had more or less trouble with their first year C6's than I have, but there are very few out there who regret making the purchase.

When the C7 finally comes out, I will have no problem buying the first year production if I want the car.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvette1
If the FIRST YEAR orders of the C7 are in July 2010, that means July 2011 for an order on a C7 that has been tested AND FIXED/RE-ENGINEERED over the first 12 months of the "first year" cycle of the C7.

I wouldn't touch the 1st year cycle of any performance vehicle - it is a BETA version of the "fixed" car that will be out the next year (after it has been tested by the consumer) - which is exactly what happened to the C6 (axles, flywheels, tops and on and on and on). Actually, the 3rd cycle (year ) would be the best.
This ought to be a good one. It is quite curious that we are seeing so many dyno threads, and C7 threads since the numbers on the '08s have come in, but like I say, this ought to be a good one.

I think a lot of whats driving this are the power changes that we now see in the '08, but....

First year of a new generation Vettes have had somewhat of a spotted history.

Recent memory takes us to the '68. A new body style and a car laden with problems. The '68 is said by some to be also less desirable than the '69 among early C3 enthusiasts.

Then there is the '84. The '84 was the first of the C4s and used the '82's cross fire fuel injected engine. Then along comes the '85 with the tuned port. The '84 C4 corvette is by far the least desirable C4 to have among C4 enthusiasts.

Fast forward to '05. The '05, being the first of the C6s had its share of growing pains however many of those were vastly blown out of proportion right here on this forum. Especially the endless threads on "DBS". There were also a few crank pulley failures and busted differentials which resulted following hard drag strip launches and wheel hop.

The interesting thing about the '05 however was that there would be no Z06 for that year. Arguably , the Z51 C6 became the latest and greatest when taking into account both performance, styling, and the inherent new bells and whistles that a new generation always brings.

The '05 MZ6 Z51, due to the absence of a C6 Z06, at that time, arguably became the Corvette to have. And of course it was a first year model. The '05 MZ6 Z51s showed up in late '04 and have had nearly a 3 calender year run without any major changes. I look at my '05 now and well, I get the feeling that it is ancient I have had it for so long. People ask me "what year is that" and when I say '05 I recollect how at one time it sounded brand spanking new. Now it sounds well, old.

The '05 automatics on the other hand, gave way to the paddle shifters of the '06 after just one year. A feature which caused a few '05 owners to take a bath on trade in by jumping ship to the '06.

The ones who waited for the '06, well, now it seems to have been a dbl edged sword. Many used the rationale of "allowing GM to work the bugs out" and "I never buy a first year model" for waiting on the '06. There were flying tops in the '06 as well, bad flywheels, .....and as for the 3rd year cycle, well ask a lot of the recent '07 owners how they feel right now knowing that such significant change has come to the C6 less than a year, and in some instances less than 4 weeks after they took delivery.

Speaking from the standpoint of manuals, '06 brought a new steering wheel, no shift to reverse requirement, supposedly a stronger rear end, a plus if you drag race and do hard launches, and drilled rotors for the F55 to the table. And thats really about it.

DBS was still an issue with some of them, as were delaminating roofs.

Now there is talk of the C7. Most, if not all, of it coming from '07, '06 and '05 owners. However no '08 owners. . .... Well, who knows what will happen. But following are a few scenarios for those who are still queasy, if not downright sick, about what has just happened to the C6 with the '08 model and what it seems to meanfor their '05s, '06s and '07s

1. Chevy could introduce the C7 with the LS3 in it and then change engines the very next year. Witness the '84.

2. Chevy could introduce the C7 with the whatever LSx engine in it and change transmissions the very next year. Witness '05-'06.

3. Chevy could introduce the C7 with 500HP and then bump it up "X number of horsepower" the very next year.

4. Chevy could introduce the C7 and make very few changes to it as they did with the C5.

5. Chevy could introduce the C7 and make subtle changes to the body style as they did with the C4.

Any combination of the above and some I have left out. So who wants to guess???

Bottom line is if you are the kind who is going to want the latest and the greatest Corvette, year end and year out, it is going to cost you a lot of money over the short and expecially the long haul

In closing, I'd like to point out that I went from an '03 to an '05. A bit different from going to an '06 to an '08, because I went across generations. I got what I thought was a good trade in value for my '05 considering the new generation.

I am extremely happy with my '05 and if I buy another Vette it will be either a first or second year model of the C7.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-25-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:47 AM
tbyrne
Race Director

Location: Westport, MA. www.tbyrnemotorsports.com - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I've owned a number of first year vehicles and never had any problems. Second year cars sometimes end up with more horsepower or good options that the first year didn't have though.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Z-Rated
Drifting

''''''' A C7 in four years ????!!!!! what will I do till then ????
Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that GM and every other car company and elected official is watching the mass hysteria over global warming. Not related to this thread you say? I disagree. I think global warming is a politically engineered hoax but that aside tens of millions are buying it worldwide.

The C7? I think this hysteria will fuel draconian government mandates regarding emissions and mileage-and by that I mean out to lunch make no sense at all laws and regulations.

So....my bet it that the best most powerful Covettes ever made are being sold right now and that the C7 might look more like a '77 vette looked when compared to a '67.

The C7 will have to be lighter, smaller, more fuel efficient ( yes, I know the C6 is great by present standards for what it is ), and emit essentially NO C02 to satisfy all the people out to save the planet from runaway warming.

So I think the intro of the C7 might be pushed out to allow a hybrid to be developed. Mid engine heck, that's not a criteria on the mandates list of the save the world crowd. You say hybrid is nuts in a vette? Well, many here didn't like the idea of DOD in a vette either.

The C7? Yes, I know, many of your are expecting ever more hp.....but don't hold your breath. The C7 might end up looking like a slightly more powerful Solstice. Yah, I know you think it can't happen. All I can say is you just have to have lived through it once before like some of us to believe that it can!

Enjoy the C6 folks. The C7 might not be a better car by the criteria those on this forum generally use as metrics......that being hp and acceleration.

just my opinions. The global warming morons are massing and marching and our freedom to drive fun cars might be the first victim of their madness.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:17 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I think that GM and every other car company and elected official is watching the mass hysteria over global warming. Not related to this thread you say? I disagree. I think global warming is a politically engineered hoax but that aside tens of millions are buying it worldwide.

The C7? I think this hysteria will fuel draconian government mandates regarding emissions and mileage-and by that I mean out to lunch make no sense at all laws and regulations.

So....my bet it that the best most powerful Covettes ever made are being sold right now and that the C7 might look more like a '77 vette looked when compared to a '67.

The C7 will have to be lighter, smaller, more fuel efficient ( yes, I know the C6 is great by present standards for what it is ), and emit essentially NO C02 to satisfy all the people out to save the planet from runaway warming.

So I think the intro of the C7 might be pushed out to allow a hybrid to be developed. Mid engine heck, that's not a criteria on the mandates list of the save the world crowd. You say hybrid is nuts in a vette? Well, many here didn't like the idea of DOD in a vette either.

The C7? Yes, I know, many of your are expecting ever more hp.....but don't hold your breath. The C7 might end up looking like a slightly more powerful Solstice. Yah, I know you think it can't happen. All I can say is you just have to have lived through it once before like some of us to believe that it can!

Enjoy the C6 folks. The C7 might not be a better car by the criteria those on this forum generally use as metrics......that being hp and acceleration.

just my opinions. The global warming morons are massing and marching and our freedom to drive fun cars might be the first victim of their madness.
The fact that they just upped the power of the C6 with a new engine, which is capable of even more HP to around 450 for '09 and '10 if they want, in my opinion, throws the above scenario out the window.

Had they not upped the power in the '08, that would have been a signal that what you describe above was possible, but with the power increase in '08, Chevy has demonstrated that they are serious about the Corvette and it's performance.

I believe that the C7 is definitely coming and when it does, it won't be some econobox. The buzz has already started, check out the DC forum, it has a whole section on the C7, and should only get louder as the months pass by.

If you are looking closely, you can see that the changes in the '08, just like the engine changes in the late C4s, are heralding a new generation.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-08-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:31 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-Rated
''''''' A C7 in four years ????!!!!! what will I do till then ????
save $$$$$$$$$$
Old 07-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C7 should be a rear mid-engine configuration. Corvettes have always been a strict 2-seater, so nothing will be lost in that regard. The advantages: better acceleration (more weight over the rear wheels) and better braking (the weight transfer to the front actually helps). The only down-side will be (potentially) less storage room. But I don't use my 'vette for "touring."

A rear mid-engine configuration will take the Corvette to the next level: world domination!!! Actually, of course, it's nearly there now.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:42 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6

completely. I predict if the Democrats take the White House in 2008 it will be the end of any high performance car production. Regardless if the the new cars are completely "green" or not. I can hear it now, "Why does a street car need to go 190 mph? Or have 400 or more horsepower?" I think the 2008 will be the last of the best, maybe 2009 if we are lucky...
Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

I have had manny first year cars and trucks with no issues

I do not regret for one minute buying my 05 c6
Old 07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I'm on my third first year Corvette and have been among the lucky. Granted my '84 was anemic by comparison but it was still mine and remained problem free for the time that I owned it. It was purchased used and served me well. My C5 was a 1997, again purchased used and again problem free. This all brings me to my 2005 C6. Purchased used and thoroughly researched I have the best of the best C6's in my opinion. I guess from all of this you can imagine what my answer will be. I will be buying a C7 when it comes out, I will purchase in the first year if I'm able and if I like the car. If I can't purchase new, I will get it as a first year used C7.

Paul

Last edited by talon90; 07-08-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:50 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a first year Titan and C6 and quite happy with them.

Bought a third year Chevy Blazer years ago and it turned out to be a lemon.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I think too many folks are getting too worked up about the C7. It's probably still 2 years away.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1742967

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1743400

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1743476

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1744183

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1744571

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1560888339

The US had a Democrat for a president for 8 years and high-performance cars are still around, so don't worry about the sky falling.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:09 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from an '02 C5 to the '05 C6 and had only minor problems until I sold it a month ago. Mainly some sensors and service bulletin issues, but that is what the warranty is for.

The C7 will introduce significant changes, but I would not hesitate to buy the first year model if I was in the market for a new vette. There is risk, such as the '05 A4 vs. '06 coming out with an A6, but I don't have any concerns with problems that can be addressed by warranty.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:56 PM
User 020720
Race Director

I try not to think about thoughts like this.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:33 PM
rollin18
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton
The C7 should be a rear mid-engine configuration. Corvettes have always been a strict 2-seater, so nothing will be lost in that regard. The advantages: better acceleration (more weight over the rear wheels) and better braking (the weight transfer to the front actually helps). The only down-side will be (potentially) less storage room. But I don't use my 'vette for "touring."

A rear mid-engine configuration will take the Corvette to the next level: world domination!!! Actually, of course, it's nearly there now.
what difference would a rear/mid engine make if the weight distribution is already almost 50/ 50????

Get notified of new replies

To C7 - What's your thoughts?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree with STAN H. My 2005 has been a great car. It sure was fun driving it the first year. Everywhere we went it drew a crowd. Still fun to drive and I don't regret it a bit.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:25 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rollin18
what difference would a rear/mid engine make if the weight distribution is already almost 50/ 50????

GM already made a mid engine V-6, I have one, it's called Fiero

fun car, but it's no Vette, totally different league
Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
tnt71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of 400+ HP Vette?

I agree that the Nannys in the Democratic party will drastically change what we drive if elected to control government. However, an icon like the Corvette will not be neutered. What is much more likely to happen is that there will be some sort of tax, whether it be on fuel economy or carbon output (for those of you that study politics, you may remember that Clinton tried to enact a carbon tax very early on and failed.) The SUV is a more likely target of these things, at least at first. However, Corvettes will eventually get more expensive in my opinion.

As an aside, I have always wondered why car buyers have to pay a guzzler tax for a car that gets less than around 20 MPG but someone who buys a Hummer does not pay such a tax.

Quick Reply: C7 - What's your thoughts?