Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
JOHN TOMARO
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: connellsville pa
Default rear spoiler installation instructions

i recently purchased a gm full width rear spoiler (ron fellows z06 edition) for my 07 mn6 c6 coupe. i should be getting it any day now from gene cullery. could someone explain how it is installed? im having difficulty trying to locate the bolts that hold the stock spoiler on.
i have read on this forum where some guys use double sided tape and some use bolts and some use both. right now i need to know how to remove the original spoiler. any help would be greatly appreciated.
JOHN TOMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
JimTN
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!

 
JimTN's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Tullahoma TN
Default

Have you looked at the C6 FAQ sticky? It's got quite a few DIY links in it.
JimTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 PM   #3
ken-rx
CF Senior Member
 
ken-rx's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2002
Location: brooklyn ny
Send a message via AIM to ken-rx
Default

Remove one of the taillights. The spoiler is accessed from the light hole.
ken-rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
Atomic-Vette
CF Senior Member

 
Atomic-Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Edmond OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN TOMARO View Post
i recently purchased a gm full width rear spoiler (ron fellows z06 edition) for my 07 mn6 c6 coupe. i should be getting it any day now from gene cullery. could someone explain how it is installed? im having difficulty trying to locate the bolts that hold the stock spoiler on.
i have read on this forum where some guys use double sided tape and some use bolts and some use both. right now i need to know how to remove the original spoiler. any help would be greatly appreciated.
pull one of the taillights out (if your right handed I'd suggest the inner right light) reach inside under where the spoiler is and unplug the light. then unscrew the 10mm bolts and it'll come right off, pretty easy. your spoiler will come with intall instructions. just remember only 2 of the original bolts are used to go back on.
Atomic-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
JCGRCYA
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06
 
JCGRCYA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Palmdale CA
Default

I also bought my gm racing spoiler from Gene and you should be receiving detailed instructions along with the template for drilling the holes. Like others have said, there are a couple of good write ups with pics on the forum as well.
JCGRCYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
RBYCC
CF Senior Member
 
RBYCC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Rehoboth Beach Delaware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN TOMARO View Post
i recently purchased a gm full width rear spoiler (ron fellows z06 edition) for my 07 mn6 c6 coupe. i should be getting it any day now from gene cullery. could someone explain how it is installed? im having difficulty trying to locate the bolts that hold the stock spoiler on.
i have read on this forum where some guys use double sided tape and some use bolts and some use both. right now i need to know how to remove the original spoiler. any help would be greatly appreciated.

The "search" is your friend....my step by step DIY from September 2006

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...6+race+spoiler

Last edited by RBYCC; 07-09-2007 at 03:47 PM.
RBYCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
burtonbl103
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13
 
burtonbl103's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Boston MA
Default

I had to make my own template for my install
burtonbl103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
johnodrake
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!

 
johnodrake's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Stokesdale NC
Johnodrake @CdrDrake johnodrake
Default

Remove the tail laghts. (#10 Torx)

Accessing the bolts (2 on each side) through the inner tail lamp holes, use a 10mm socket (on a flexable handle works well) to remove the nuts.

Remove the OEM spoiler.

The new full length spoiler will require drilling 4 holes. Use the supplied template. The center stop lamp will transfer from the OEM to the new piece. There will be two small screws supplied that will secure this piece in place of the two studs that were used originally.
__________________

Vita contin git. Vive com eo!

60th Anniversary 427 CE - Bone Stock.

MSM '06 415ci LS3 510rwhp, RPS, DeWitts, Pfadt Coilovers, MGW. Full 2012 GS body and interior conversion C6Z Exhaust
Leather by DSV
Powdercoating by Mike

'89 Coupe Z51, FX3, MN6
DD 05 Silverado Z71


Spring Mountain x5

Gone now but not forgotten:
Radiant Silver '09 CTS
Sebring Silver '97 LPE SC
Mille Miglia Red '73 L82 Coupe
Daytona Yellow '70 L46 Coupe
johnodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Default

You MUST make a small "cut" for the install. The center rectangular hole that is there now, must be enlarged ever so slightly to allow for the new electrical connection to fit. Use a razor knife and VERY carefully cut a small section of the current hole. The cut is TOWARD the front of the car and DOES NOT go ANY further than the area where the "wall" of the hole sits. In other words, only the "floor" of the hole and NO vertical sections of the current hole area. This is like an 1/8th of an inch of material to be removed and as wide as the narrow part of the hole. The original "hole" is something like 1" by 2" You will end up 1" by 2 1/8". Do not cut any vertical areas out of the spoiler hole area.

Did that make sense?

Remove all 4 tail lights to remove and install the new spoiler.

I did it all in less than an hour. It is very simple just read the instructions twice. Do it in you mind first and then go for it.

Elmer
eboggs_jkvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
keg
CF Senior Member
 
keg's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Chambersburg pa.
Default

It's an easy installation. The only problem I had was the two center studs that are reused from the original spoiler did not extend down thru the body far enough to attach the nuts to. I added flat washers to these studs and that solved the problem. I like the look of the spoiler, I think it adds to the rear lines of the car. I did mention this problem to the engineer in charge of the GM after market parts when I met her at the C6 birthday bash in April at BG. You'll do just fine on the installation. Just read thru the instructions twice and remember these were translated from Chinese.
keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Walt White Coupe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Walt White Coupe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Default

I had no problem with the length of the center studs.
Walt White Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
Poppy's Vette
CF Senior Member

 
Poppy's Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Carlsbad CA
Default

Mine is on order from CFL Motorsports and I can't wait for it to arrive. They are painting it AO for me so I don't have to find a local body shop to do it. I hope it looks OEM. Then I will add the tinted brake light covers and I think the back will look awesome.

RBYCC, your writeup looks excellant! Man is it gonna be scarry drilling holes in my 2 month old, waited all my life for, Corvette
Poppy's Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
McClendons
CF Senior Member
 
McClendons's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Brandon FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcervone View Post
Mine is on order from CFL Motorsports and I can't wait for it to arrive. They are painting it AO for me so I don't have to find a local body shop to do it. I hope it looks OEM. Then I will add the tinted brake light covers and I think the back will look awesome.

RBYCC, your writeup looks excellant! Man is it gonna be scarry drilling holes in my 2 month old, waited all my life for, Corvette
Glad that CFL was able to help you. The one they did for me was a pefrect match and gave good service. Fairly quick too, given a custom painted part
McClendons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
Gene Culley
Platinum Supporting Vendor
 
Gene Culley's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Boyertown PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonbl103 View Post
I had to make my own template for my install
Bill,

You should have bought it from me! Shame on you for switching!

__________________
Founder of GM Parts House

Home Of The Corvette Parts And GM Parts Specialist
Please Visit GM Parts House Online or Call 484.949.2099.
Gene Culley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
Gene Culley
Platinum Supporting Vendor
 
Gene Culley's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Boyertown PA
Default

I'd like to start up an install section on my site for this stuff. If anyone has a detailed written report with pictures and wants to give me the permission to put it on the site contact me.
__________________
Founder of GM Parts House

Home Of The Corvette Parts And GM Parts Specialist
Please Visit GM Parts House Online or Call 484.949.2099.
Gene Culley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
Poppy's Vette
CF Senior Member

 
Poppy's Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Carlsbad CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
Glad that CFL was able to help you. The one they did for me was a pefrect match and gave good service. Fairly quick too, given a custom painted part
I wanted to get back to you and thank you for the hook up. I'm jazzed
Poppy's Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #17
Atomic-Vette
CF Senior Member

 
Atomic-Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Edmond OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg View Post
It's an easy installation. The only problem I had was the two center studs that are reused from the original spoiler did not extend down thru the body far enough to attach the nuts to. I added flat washers to these studs and that solved the problem. I like the look of the spoiler, I think it adds to the rear lines of the car. I did mention this problem to the engineer in charge of the GM after market parts when I met her at the C6 birthday bash in April at BG. You'll do just fine on the installation. Just read thru the instructions twice and remember these were translated from Chinese.
actually if you look at the instructions, it shows not using those two bolts. You use the two supplied bolts instead to hold the light in and two of the four remaining studs to hold the wing on.

I tried for a little while to get all four original studs to work, then decided to read the instructions
Atomic-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #18
keg
CF Senior Member
 
keg's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Chambersburg pa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic-Vette View Post
actually if you look at the instructions, it shows not using those two bolts. You use the two supplied bolts instead to hold the light in and two of the four remaining studs to hold the wing on.

I tried for a little while to get all four original studs to work, then decided to read the instructions
Actually I did use the two supplied bolts. What a pain they were to install. As for the two studs I extended I have talked to others that have had the same problem. Maybe since I install mine GM has provided longer fastners. One can only hope they have.
keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #19
Walt White Coupe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Walt White Coupe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Default

You remove the center two studs that hold the brake light in the original spoiler. Remove the brake light. Install the brake light in the new spoiler with the small screws that came with the new spoiler hardware not the studs from the original spoiler. Screw the removed center studs into the new spoiler along with the four supplied "slide in studs" that will go into the newly drilled holes. When done you have the 4 new studs on the outer ends of the spoiler and the reused studs from the original brake light that now will go thru what were the outer holes from the original spoiler. No need for any washers on my install. Plenty of stud to accept the nut. The center holes from the original spoiler (that also held the brake light) are not used with the new spoiler.
Walt White Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #20
jsbtheman
CF Senior Member
 
jsbtheman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 1999
Location: Barrington Illinois
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
You remove the center two studs that hold the brake light in the original spoiler. Remove the brake light. Install the brake light in the new spoiler with the small screws that came with the new spoiler hardware not the studs from the original spoiler. Screw the removed center studs into the new spoiler along with the four supplied "slide in studs" that will go into the newly drilled holes. When done you have the 4 new studs on the outer ends of the spoiler and the reused studs from the original brake light that now will go thru what were the outer holes from the original spoiler. No need for any washers on my install. Plenty of stud to accept the nut. The center holes from the original spoiler (that also held the brake light) are not used with the new spoiler.
Exactly how I installed mine. All you will have left over is the original spoiler and 2 original studs with the nuts. ($288 delivered from GMPartsDirect.com)
jsbtheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page rear spoiler installation instructions
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
c6, corvette, delaware, edition, fellows, full, gm, installation, instructions, market, racing, rear, removed, ron, spoiler, width


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new letter..EARLY BIRD ORDER DISCOUNT ON 2003 MANUALS..SEP 7,02 CorvettePartsBob Ken's Newsletters 10 10-02-2002 12:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2