C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Z06 coming??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 AM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinions are that GM will never offer a Z06 with an automatic, just like Ford has never offered an SVT Cobra with an automatic, including the Shelby GT500, and never will. Why should GM or Ford do this in their flagship cars? They don't need to when they sell out of ALL of them anyway (they have a target production on their flagship vehicles, and there is an obvious reason they keep them limited per year).

Furthermore, GM's current 6-speed automatic isn't totally capable of withstanding the power capabilties of the LS7, without upgrades (however, it would be a good thing if they did upgrade it, especially for the aftermarket). If they attempted to stuff the current A6 in the Z06, we'd see a TON of torque management (aka TM) that could very well effectively kill the all around performance and feel of the vehicle (the current TM in the A6 is already bad enough).

Again, just my opinions.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

With gasoline prices where they are now, we'd better hope for a C7 Corvette first, and speculate about an automatic transmissioned Z06 later.

The C7 is not a given yet.

The C6 might well be the last Vette they make.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-03-2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:45 AM
AHTTG
Instructor

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
With gasoline prices where they are now, we'd better hope for a C7 Corvette first, and speculate about an automatic transmissioned Z06 later.

The C7 is not a given yet.

The C6 might well be the last Vette they make.
I think the C7 is a go. But we'll see about the engine. They can make a jump to LS7like power and displacement or they might go the other route and offer something like a V6, maybe FI.

If anything brings down the vette, it will be complete demise of GM, not gas prices. Offcourse 1 is just about as likely as the other....

Anyway, I'm glad to be getting a C6. There's a good chance that THIS is the "golden age" of the corvette. If a faster car comes out, great. If not, I'm happy that I got one now.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:53 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AHTTG
I think the C7 is a go. But we'll see about the engine. They can make a jump to LS7like power and displacement or they might go the other route and offer something like a V6, maybe FI.

If anything brings down the vette, it will be complete demise of GM, not gas prices. Offcourse 1 is just about as likely as the other....

Anyway, I'm glad to be getting a C6. There's a good chance that THIS is the "golden age" of the corvette. If a faster car comes out, great. If not, I'm happy that I got one now.
A V6 in a Vette??? Perish the thought.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
A V6 in a Vette??? Perish the thought.
Yup, never had one and never will...they would certainly NEVER put a 6 cylinder motor* in a Corvette.

*Sarcasm of course, as you undoubtedly know a straight 6 was not only standard but the ONLY engine available the first two years the car was made, standard but with an optional V8 in it's third year as well.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:13 AM
BlakShark
Burning Brakes

I dont think they will offer the Auto on a Z especially for several years of having a z known that its a manual and sales are at their highest.
-jose
Old 07-03-2007, 01:21 AM
SXY-TME
Racer

Why not. Drop in a nice Dual Clutch System or SMG + two carbon fiber paddles on the steering wheel and you'll have manual owners trading in for it.

Faster Shifting + less hassle = Perfect Daily Commute + Track Car + Weekend Car =

GM Stock RISE
Old 07-03-2007, 01:46 AM
autophile
Advanced

Originally Posted by SXY-TME
Why not. Drop in a nice Dual Clutch System or SMG + two carbon fiber paddles on the steering wheel and you'll have manual owners trading in for it.

Faster Shifting + less hassle = Perfect Daily Commute + Track Car + Weekend Car =

GM Stock RISE
I agree.

Automatics have always been frowned upon in the automotive culture, but it's time for that to change. Consumer preferences seem to be shifting towards high performance automatics, and GM needs to further acknowledge this.

Whether or not GM has an automatic which can or could be built to handle such power is a different question all together. But they should definitely look at filling the gap.

In regards to a V6 Corvette... you might as well kill it off because that would de-value (effectively destroy) the brand so badly that it would become virtually worthless.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006corvette
The 2007 production info is also available now.

6-speed Manual 12,670 31.2%
6-speed Manual w/Z51 5,469 13.5%
Automatic 22,422 55.3%
If you look at the figures you will notice that there were 8159 Z06s made in 07 which have no A6 option. If you look only at the C6 non Z06's you have a total production for 32211 units of which there were only 9780 6-Speed manuals (Z & Non Z). So taking the Z06 out of the mix around 70% are A6's, I am sure you will find somewhat the same results for the 06 production year.

Last edited by BRCC; 07-03-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:35 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yup, never had one and never will...they would certainly NEVER put a 6 cylinder motor* in a Corvette.

*Sarcasm of course, as you undoubtedly know a straight 6 was not only standard but the ONLY engine available the first two years the car was made, standard but with an optional V8 in it's third year as well.
Yes, I did indeed know that the inline 6 was the first engine to go into the car better than 50 years ago.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:39 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default hey!

define "old" whippersnapper...i'll give you what for young'n...
i do polish and shine mine i must admit---first one was a garage queen
new c6 won't be....AND BY THE WAY,I RARELY FART!

So there you young whippersnapper(still snap'n your whipper)

.......ooppps! i do have an auto! oh my god! i am old!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Originally Posted by keyplyr
If they offered a vert, A6, Z06... that would really be something!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
define "old" whippersnapper...i'll give you what for young'n...
i do polish and shine mine i must admit---first one was a garage queen
new c6 won't be....AND BY THE WAY,I RARELY FART!

So there you young whippersnapper(still snap'n your whipper)

.......ooppps! i do have an auto! oh my god! i am old!

Sorry about the fart thing, pops, but you are a bit rolly polly

What is a whippersnapper??????? I'm not in to those leather things!

Really, why a Z06 in Automatic or a vert. If you guys got the auto shifter or vert, what romance or allure would a Z06 have then?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
Really, why a Z06 in Automatic or a vert. If you guys got the auto shifter or vert, what romance or allure would a Z06 have then?
Having the top of the line car a company has to offer has the allure I'm willing to pay for, if it has the features I want. Unfortunately, by the time the Z's get an auto, if they do, there will be a new, more expensive king of the hill at GM, which according to some reports, may be offered with an auto as well.....I'm saving my pennies....
Old 07-03-2007, 09:37 PM
wayne lowry
Melting Slicks

If the EPA doesn't kill the horsepower the base model C7 will probably have 505chp and be available with the auto. The LS3 is 436 with the optional exhaust.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:42 AM
lvjetboy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilways
Ummm.....your profile says you have an A6.....are you just a self loather or do you enjoy debates? I'd have loved a stripped version of the C6, no power seats,heated seats,a/c,nannies,washer tank,etc, but I got a great deal on a loaded Z51, so I got it for less than some sold bottom barrel vettes for. I've also recently had a 77 TA w/ BB 400 in it, and I'll tell you, I'll trade low power, hassle filled days and nights,and busted knuckles anyday for the ease and power of my C6. It's not going away from being a real man, it's heading towards being a smart man.
I value truth, respect personal opinion and enjoy debate. Old school's not always the smart school as typically portrayed. Considering current technology, this thread begs for both truth and debate. Opinions vary as they always do. No big deal.

jer
Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 AM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Datawiz
So you're saying that someone like me, with about 1,300 miles of road course experience in a Vette, needs a tampon dispenser? I've had more than my share of manual sports cars. When racing, consistency counts. I'd take automatic Z06 in a second and I'm pretty sure I'll beat you every lap in your manually shifted one.
Better break open my piggy back, it they make a A6 Z06 you bet your sweet butts i'm gonna buy one!

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Z06 coming??

Old 07-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Deep Blue
Racer

I would hope the Z07 would have a sequential shifter. I'm not against automatics in sports cars though I prefer manuals. However in a ultra performance car, saving weight is also important and most automatics are a tad heavier that their manual counterparts.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:03 AM
1wicked
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaBhaal
If GM releases this, I know for sure a friend of mine will get one. He was going to settle for a coupe, because he could not get the Z06 in automatic.

I WOULD BUY THE Z06 IF IT WERE AUTO....THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR.....OH PLEASE MAKE THE Z06 AUTO!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:24 AM
SDCEB
Pro

Originally Posted by LouieM
I say Chevy should go for it. An A6 would widen the customer base for the Z06, which is money in GM's pocket, and there would be more hi-po Vettes on the street, which is good from any viewpoint.

Most of the finest sports cars come with paddle shift auto's and many out perform the manual options. If you don't want the auto, don't buy it, but I think that it would make the Z06 much more attractive to more people. I wouldn't worry about it losing its specialty car status either, as the C6 only sells around 35k per year and at the higher price tab of the Z06, it will still have a limited number of buyers. Just more than it has today...

Quick Reply: Automatic Z06 coming??