C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyway to shut off the yellow daytime running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:03 AM
DrBrains
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to shut off the yellow daytime running lights?

Is there any way to turn off the yellow lights that are always on.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:08 AM
mikepipe597
Racer

In your owners manual it tells you. Twist your auto light switch forward once you start the car. You can turn them on and off just like your headlights
Old 06-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Finster07
Pro

Two ways that I know of on my 2007. First is rotate the headlight switch to past Auto and the lights will shut off. The more permanent way is program your DIC to the setting "Approach lights - off." I personally have not tried this since I like the lights on for safety reasons.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 AM
DrBrains
Advanced

Default reasoning

I have read that those sort of things just attract the eye of a police officer whom might be running radar, etc. Thats why I want them off.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:13 AM
JFijolek
Pro

Originally Posted by mikepipe597
In your owners manual it tells you. Twist your auto light switch forward once you start the car. You can turn them on and off just like your headlights
Never knew that. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:16 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Finster07
Two ways that I know of on my 2007. First is rotate the headlight switch to past Auto and the lights will shut off. The more permanent way is program your DIC to the setting "Approach lights - off." I personally have not tried this since I like the lights on for safety reasons.
Nope, that is not what "approach lights" are. Approach lights are when you approach the car and push the unlock button on your FOB.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:22 AM
DrBrains
Advanced

Will rotating the lights past "auto" disable the ability for all headlight functions to work automatically. I just want to disable the daytime running lights - the yellow ones.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBrains
Will rotating the lights past "auto" disable the ability for all headlight functions to work automatically. I just want to disable the daytime running lights - the yellow ones.
You can't easily disable them. You can turn them off but you must do that on each start -
Old 06-16-2007, 09:41 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

Not sure why you would want to turn off a safety feature like daytime running lights. They help other motorists see your car more easily so that they want be as likely to pull out in front of you if they just take a brief glance.

There are a lot of people that are lousy drivers and anything that helps them see you while driving is only doing yourself and them a favor by not increasing your chances of getting in a wreck.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:42 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by johnodrake
You can't easily disable them. You can turn them off but you must do that on each start -

I thought the same thing but that's not true...you can disable them coming on thru your DIC....thanks Finster07
Old 06-16-2007, 09:44 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by gilly6993
I thought the same thing but that's not true...you can disable them coming on thru your DIC....thanks Finster07
If you are talking about the "approach lights" That does not turn off the DRLs.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by mikepipe597
Old 06-16-2007, 09:46 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

damn!!!!!...i thought I had it solved....looks like it has to be done manually then every time....thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by gilly6993
Yours are not working correctly if you can do that. I don't think that's the case.

The DRLs are also your turn signals. You can get a ticket for not using them.

Over 100,000 C6s have been built. Hundreds, if not thouseands of C6 owners would like to turn them off permanently. I doubt seriously that you or Finster07 have got them programmed through the DIC to turn them off permanently without your interaction each time you drive the car.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:55 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Not on my car, must do the turn stalk trick every time you start car.

As I start my car in my garage the regular (read, very high priced headlights) go on, I have learned to hit the start button and turn the stalk at the same time, this takes care of short cycling those expensive headlights and also kills the DRLs. True you must do it every time, but its a automatic action now. FWIW I start my PU truck the same way.

For "UTVOL06," if those DRLS are so good for safety, why do most of the LEO cars not have them on. Once they were a novelity, but now there overlooked by most of the drivers out there. I did not find that headlights on helped me at all when I had my MCs. People still claimed that they do not see you. A good driver is still a good driver, and a bad driver no matter what you do to help them are still a menace.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JimTN
The DRLs are also your turn signals. You can get a ticket for not using them.

Over 100,000 C6s have been built. Hundreds, if not thouseands of C6 owners would like to turn them off permanently. I doubt seriously that you or Finster07 have got them programmed through the DIC to turn them off permanently without your interaction each time you drive the car.
Your turn signals still work if DRLs are turned off at the stalk. Your flash to pass still works if your headlight switch is turned off.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:20 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 6spdC6

Not on my car, must do the turn stalk trick every time you start car.

As I start my car in my garage the regular (read, very high priced headlights) go on, I have learned to hit the start button and turn the stalk at the same time, this takes care of short cycling those expensive headlights and also kills the DRLs. True you must do it every time, but its a automatic action now. FWIW I start my PU truck the same way.

For "UTVOL06," if those DRLS are so good for safety, why do most of the LEO cars not have them on. Once they were a novelity, but now there overlooked by most of the drivers out there. I did not find that headlights on helped me at all when I had my MCs. People still claimed that they do not see you. A good driver is still a good driver, and a bad driver no matter what you do to help them are still a menace.
I don't like the looks of them on the C6, but I would never argue that they do not make you more visible. Sure, there will always be the idiots who still don't pay attention, but even a die-hard skeptic like me would have to say that having them is safer than not having them. It's kind of like the "high-mounted" brake lights. They've been around quite a few years now, and federal law still dictates them.

"LEO" cars don't have them because there are damn few GM police cars. GM is the only company that has standardized on DRL's on all vehicles.

Last edited by jschindler; 06-16-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyway to shut off the yellow daytime running lights?

Old 06-16-2007, 10:36 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jschindler
"LEO" cars don't have them because there are damn few GM police cars. GM is the only company that has starndardized on DRL's on all vehicles.
True about GM and DRLS as standard equipment.

My area has/had a lot of GM LEO cars including the truck models. (Large 4door SUVS) They never have DRLs on. I asked at my dealership and they told me that as SOP they do not actavaite those lights unless requested by the police Depts. (it appears most/all do not want them on)
The service manager said there is a way they can be disabled (or actavated) by doing something in the computer. I tried to get mine(truck) disabled. He showed me a piece of offical GM paper that said that this could only be done by written authorization by a Police Agency for LEO cars only. (this was about 5 years ago, could be many changes by now)
Old 06-16-2007, 10:47 AM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok...i'm just throwing this out there for discussion. the the bulb that goes in this socket is a duel element bulb, one for the drl and one for the signal. there is a different brightness for each element. the socket that this bulb fits in is a three wire socket (one wire for the drl, one for the signal, and one for the ground i assume). what if you determine which wire is which and simply clip that wire? don't know if you'll get a msg on the dic or not.

another thought...what if you just use a single element bulb there. an 1157 maybe?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:34 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gbgary
ok...i'm just throwing this out there for discussion. the the bulb that goes in this socket is a duel element bulb, one for the drl and one for the signal. there is a different brightness for each element. the socket that this bulb fits in is a three wire socket (one wire for the drl, one for the signal, and one for the ground i assume). what if you determine which wire is which and simply clip that wire? don't know if you'll get a msg on the dic or not.

another thought...what if you just use a single element bulb there. an 1157 maybe?
Good questions. changing the bulb would be quick and easy to try. I'd try it, but I'm "vetteless" for a few more weeks

Quick Reply: Anyway to shut off the yellow daytime running lights?