C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
VetVetter
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by rakuhn

Come to think of it, my dad told me several times in my younger years that if breathing didn't come natural, I'd be dead.

I don't care who you are, that's funny
Old 06-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Naustica
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettecop1125
I test drove one and didn't like it. It seemed really busy and I had to really concentrate on the revs and which button to push. It just did not seem as "natural" as shifting the manual IMO.
It's different and you have to learn how to use it. You have to reprogram yourself and then it's not so bad.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Vasta
I enjoy using my paddles, I use them about 50% of the time.

Believe it or not they are really useful in heavy freeway stop and go traffic. Second is a long gear and its fun to run up and down with the engine revs as your driving. WTF -there is nothing else to do.
Lots of fun in traffic especially with a set of Borla Stingers installed.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:27 PM
tooltime47
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always liked manuals. When I went Vette shopping, I had not considered getting the A6 but then I drove one and thats what I bought. I am looking forward to getting the 08 upgrades.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:29 AM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Perry Mason
I am a devout manual guy for over 40 years of buying and driving stick shift cars. My '06 C6 A6 is my first "automatic" and I shift only with the paddles. My C6 is my fifth Corvette and I am looking forward to the C7. How many of you stick people have found that the paddles, although not perfect, give you the same or better experience as the MN6? I like shifting as I did when I was a young man, but I enjoy the paddle shift. I have had my A6 for 17 months. In my MINI S car, I almost wish I had paddles. I still like shifting, but the paddles on my A6 have allowed me the control I demand when I drive. How about you?
I traded my '06 a6 for a '05 mn6 because the a6 was so boring, even with the paddles. Sounds like you are try to convince yourself you like the paddles, when you know everytime your are behind the wheel pushing those lagging buttons you are thinking "Who am I kidding, this is boring"...............
Old 06-14-2007, 08:55 AM
JCGRCYA
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by GMautotech
You're right, they are not like that stock. But with a quick modification to the paddle shifter wiring, that can be changed http://www.geocities.com/davidh1320@...ddleshift.html
Definately gonna have to keep this mod in mind.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:05 AM
optwovettes
Pro

I just had to have a Z51 with paddle shifting. What a mistake. Use the paddles about 25% of the time. Back to a manual for me.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 AM
cheakster
Instructor

Like so many options, this is a matter of fitting YOUR personal needs for YOUR driving habits and conditions. You won't convince a true "manual" guy that it REPLACES a stick for feel or performance, and the true "auto" guy can use it or not! I sold my '99 C5 vert MN6 and now bask in an'06 A6 coupe. I admit I sometimes miss the clutch/shifting, but am becoming increasingly fond of the A6 as I "learn" how best to use it. My intial thoughts were to: 1)allow my wife to occaisionally drive it , and 2) maintain some control of rpm's to allow "driving" of the car and to allow the B&B's to sound off Mid-turn shifting and lag time are a little annoying but hopefully will both be remedied soon. I'm sorry, but I find it anything but boring. It offers alternative driving experiences in the same car and either way....KICKS A$$
Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 AM
T
Intermediate

Default Ability to shift with just one hand on the wheel

I prefer to leave the paddles as they are and not have them F1 style. It's great to be able to upshift and downshift with just one hand on the wheel, especially while in slow moving traffic. It's all personal preference.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 AM
fright88
Safety Car

Honestly the delay in responce is so bad that I don't hardly ever use the paddles. But I like the option
Old 06-15-2007, 07:49 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T
I prefer to leave the paddles as they are and not have them F1 style. It's great to be able to upshift and downshift with just one hand on the wheel, especially while in slow moving traffic. It's all personal preference.
You can still shift with only one paddle even with the mod I posted a link to. The left paddle will still work like stock in both directions. The right paddle will just work backwards.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 PM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have the paddles and think they are just OK, not great. I am pretty sure my next Vette will be a manual. My main issue is the paddles being out of position in corners. Secondary issue is the lag. I know they are fixing that. Third issue is simply the fun factor. I actually like the auto floor shifter in my wife's Acura better than my Vette. I do think a regular person (that does not regularly race their car) will usually get the best performance with an auto by just leaving it in S and letting it shift for you. Both have their advantages. Glad we have a choice. Think I will try the manual on the 08.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:41 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by twfreightman
I have the paddles and think they are just OK, not great. I am pretty sure my next Vette will be a manual. My main issue is the paddles being out of position in corners. Secondary issue is the lag. I know they are fixing that. Third issue is simply the fun factor. I actually like the auto floor shifter in my wife's Acura better than my Vette. I do think a regular person (that does not regularly race their car) will usually get the best performance with an auto by just leaving it in S and letting it shift for you. Both have their advantages. Glad we have a choice. Think I will try the manual on the 08.
You mentioned paddles being out of position while cornering. This has occurred to me though I have yet to try out a C6 with paddles. I know it shows my age but it just seems natural to have one hand on the wheel and the other on the console auto shift and eyes on the road ahead.

Seems as well that trying to keep in position on the wheel to shift as I turned would be tough. But....one of the main arguments for automatics today seems to be that they can be faster in the quarter mile....and , hopefully at least, not much wheel turning in that.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 AM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

I'm very happy with my a6 in S mode, it will burn the tires at anytime i wish and at most any speed! I would like to learn how to use the paddles, any paddle teachers wanna teach me in my car?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Speedway
Pro

My C5 is a manual. My soon to be C6 will be an auto.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Perry Mason
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tnz5106
I traded my '06 a6 for a '05 mn6 because the a6 was so boring, even with the paddles. Sounds like you are try to convince yourself you like the paddles, when you know everytime your are behind the wheel pushing those lagging buttons you are thinking "Who am I kidding, this is boring"...............
I am so appreciative that we have competent psychologists here on this forum to help analyze our minds.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Mr Valet
Pro

Originally Posted by Perry Mason
I am so appreciative that we have competent psychologists here on this forum to help analyze our minds.

you ask for everyones' opinions and then you goof on them?

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shifters

Old 06-16-2007, 04:28 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GMautotech
You can still shift with only one paddle even with the mod I posted a link to. The left paddle will still work like stock in both directions. The right paddle will just work backwards.
I know this is definitely a personal preference issue, but for us less professional F1 drivers it seems that mod would make things much more confusing. However, I understand it is a matter of what you are used to or what you use everyday. To each his own...

My C3 and C5 were both manual transmission cars. I love driving a stick, but to be honest I get tired of it pretty quickly. If my Vette was a garage queen and not a daily driver I would probably have bought my C6 with the MN6. However, I mostly drive in stop and go city traffic. My A6 (paddles or not) is a much better choice for me and my driving habits.

I play with the paddles from time to time. They certainly are not like a true manual, but they are a great substitute for guys like me.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:30 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Can anyone elaborate on the delay that was mentioned. They are practically giving 07's away near me but they are all automatics which I am typically not a fan of. However, if they are selling them this cheap I am tempted to try one out and see if the paddle can be fun or not. Of the 4 vettes I owned, only the last one was an auto and it was a C4 but the auto really took the fun out of it. Because of this, I am really hesitant about even considering the auto.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:47 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cerino2000
Can anyone elaborate on the delay that was mentioned. They are practically giving 07's away near me but they are all automatics which I am typically not a fan of. However, if they are selling them this cheap I am tempted to try one out and see if the paddle can be fun or not. Of the 4 vettes I owned, only the last one was an auto and it was a C4 but the auto really took the fun out of it. Because of this, I am really hesitant about even considering the auto.
With a standard as soon as you let the clutch out the gear is engaged. When you shift with the paddles it feels a little "soft". I guess it could be described as a delay.

You really need to drive a C6 A6 with the paddles and see for yourself. Like I and others have said, it's a personal preference so you will have to try it yourself. If you are looking for an automatic that shifts like a manual, I don't think you are going to find one. However, as near as I can tell the vast majority of owners who chose the A6 seem to be more than pleased with their choice.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters