C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on GM bra, please..

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Opinions on GM bra, please..

I have a Lemans Blue C6 and have noticed a few small chips in the front of my car. Problem is, the roads suck, rocks everywhere here at the beach. I also get sand blasted riding around no matter how careful I am. Well I just got a GM bra and I like the way it looks on the Lemans Blue but it is a pain in the *** to put on and take off everytime I wash my car. You see, I wash it several time a week. Question; Will it hurt the car to wash it without removing the bra? I don't want to fade my paint.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 PM
DaveBlkSilver
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got one !! I put it on every time i head out om the road When you get to your destination take it off!! Once you get the hang of putting it on it takes about 5 minutes and the front of my car is just like new! I wash the car when it gets dirty and reinstall the bra when dry! Ocassionally i put a coat of rejex on the car and no issues to date!!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 PM
ja03c5
Drifting

Had a GM Bra on the C5, and I have one ready install on the C6. Enough said.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Tri-Tip
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I also have an LMB coupe and put the GM bra on for the first time on Saturday. It was a bit tought the first time. My friends said that its easier in warmer weather as the vinyl will stretch better, and also easier after the first time.

Heading to the mountains this weekend, so I haven't taken it off yet, but I will when I get back, or to wash the car.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Maizen
Racer

Originally Posted by iridelow
I have a Lemans Blue C6 and have noticed a few small chips in the front of my car. Problem is, the roads suck, rocks everywhere here at the beach. I also get sand blasted riding around no matter how careful I am. Well I just got a GM bra and I like the way it looks on the Lemans Blue but it is a pain in the *** to put on and take off everytime I wash my car. You see, I wash it several time a week. Question; Will it hurt the car to wash it without removing the bra? I don't want to fade my paint.
I would strongly recommend you NOT leave the bra on the car while wet. I have been using bras on my cars for several years and as long as you take the bra off for cleaning and when it rains, your paint will be fine. I noticed a couple times that when I was on a long trip and I hit rain, when the sun came out and I finally got the bra off, my paint started to cloud. Plus if you leave it on during washing, some of the dirt will get washed under the bra and scratch the paint.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I wouldn't leave the GM bra on the car when it's wet.
You may want to consider a 3M clear bra. It is well worth the money.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

I use the bra on my LMB as well, but I don't dismantle it everytime water comes near it. Frankly, I've left it on while washing mine, and I've left it on after a rain. I've checked, and there is nothing wrong with the paint at all. I really don't think the paint will "cloud" up because the bra was on the car when it got wet. As far as dirt getting under the bra, that is a fair point, and I clean mine out every so often. But, I certainly don't dismantle the entire thing each time. Simply not necessary. Plus, it takes longer than 5 minutes to unhook all the hooks, snaps, etc. And, where do you put it when you "go somewhere" - in the back? Takes up a lot of room, plus it's really dirty, etc. Just install it and leave it on.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:46 AM
HD-Fatboy
Advanced

I had the GM bra and took it off. Didn't like the idea of velcro holding it on around the wheel wells. Also got to thinking that if the velcro came loose while driving and part of the bra slid under the tire and grab it, that the clips would probably rip through the fiberglass. Shuttered at that thought.

Figured a few paint chips was better than ripped fiberglass.

So she is flaunting her curves in all her naked glory!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a black car so if you're washing yours multiple times a week imagine what I have to go through.

I said to h*ll with a bra because of that same hassle, that's what touchup paint is for.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:30 AM
cdrymalla
Advanced

Originally Posted by HD-Fatboy
I had the GM bra and took it off. Didn't like the idea of velcro holding it on around the wheel wells. Also got to thinking that if the velcro came loose while driving and part of the bra slid under the tire and grab it, that the clips would probably rip through the fiberglass. Shuttered at that thought.

Figured a few paint chips was better than ripped fiberglass.

So she is flaunting her curves in all her naked glory!
I am not sure which GM Bra you have, but mine has snaps to affix it under the fender, and clips under the front...no velcro anywhere.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

There isn't a single piece of velcro on my bra, either. There are silver snaps that you install in the wheel well in place of the plastic retainer pins. I don't think you had a GM bra on your car.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Theels12588
Racer

No velcro on the gm bra.

In response to the original post, it will get easier to install and remove the bra. The first time takes longer too because of installing the snaps and figuring out how everything is supposed to fit. I only put mine on for long trips, but I would take it off to wash it if it stayed on everyday.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:17 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Adding my .02 - even if you think it is a pain, take that thing off before washing your car or after driving in wet conditions. I had a car years ago where I never took the bra off, and the paint ended up turning two-toned where the bra was at when I finally removed it one day.

As far as difficulty goes, I can't speak for the GM licensed product, but I have the Colgan bra and it is a cinch to put on & take off.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:45 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for the in-put from all. But as you see, different opinions across the board. I do like the protection, and if I get caught it the rain, I will remove and wash, but I think I will just leave it on for normal quick washes, and remove when I do a full wash or detail. Besides, I can wash the bra first, then remove it and let it dry while I detail the car....
Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Default bra

Have a Colgan front bra that fits like a glove. The first time I put it on it was a bear. Gets easier every time.....still fit exteremly well. I plan to have a 3m bumper kit installed and will use the Colgan bra as well for open road driving....

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on GM bra, please..

Quick Reply: Opinions on GM bra, please..