C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to improve the handling on the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:01 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Pfadt Sways

Originally Posted by 68roadster
Pfadt swaybars?
Set in the center hole
Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 PM
scottyc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For better handling dump the RUNCRAPS and get some decent tires. You will see a big difference in handling.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 PM
filmelf
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'08

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
Not to be a smart a$$, but the best suspension mod you can do is go to driving school.

You need to define what kind of driving you have in mind to get any useful opinions of what you should/could do first.

By the way, going to coil overs should not disrupt Active Handling.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AFR VETTE
Ive been thinking about it for a while and would like to improve the handling on my C6 z51 coupe. A friend of mine suggested coil overs, but he said by doing that it eliminates the active handling. Can anyone verify this? Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do?
Thanks
ADAM
Koni FSD shocks made a huge overall improvement on my Z51 vert. Search and review FSD s ......
Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Perry Mason
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by REVAK
Koni FSD shocks made a huge overall improvement on my Z51 vert. Search and review FSD s ......
I installed Koni FSDs a couple of months ago and noticed an appreciable improvement. I am looking forward to replacing the stock run-flats. I replaced them when I had my '04 C5 and noticed a dramatic improvement. I need a driving school, but I notice the improvement with the FSDs.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Teo
3rd Gear

Hi guys! I'm an Italian V8 lover, I have a 2006 C6 base (with Magnetic Ride suspensions) and I may need your help

I would like to improve its handling (in particular that "floating" feeling at medium/high speed) and try to get a better feeling from the huge steering wheel...

I though to change the shocks with Koni FSD and the sway bars with Hotchkis, could this be enough? And my biggest doubt, is it possible to substitute the Magnetic Ride suspensions with the Koni ones?

Any advice is welcome!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM
GW360
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Teo
Hi guys! I'm an Italian V8 lover, I have a 2006 C6 base (with Magnetic Ride suspensions) and I may need your help

I would like to improve its handling (in particular that "floating" feeling at medium/high speed) and try to get a better feeling from the huge steering wheel...

I though to change the shocks with Koni FSD and the sway bars with Hotchkis, could this be enough? And my biggest doubt, is it possible to substitute the Magnetic Ride suspensions with the Koni ones?

Any advice is welcome!
I think you might get some static for resurrecting a very old thread. The best practice is to create a new one.

The 2005 - 2007 cars suffer from a numb steering feel and too much assist at higher speeds. So much so that the steering system was upgraded for 2008; most reviews mention notable improvement. So I'm not sure how much hope there is for changing the feel in your car. I have a 2008 and even it's not great.

You can change out your shocks to conventional units, but you will lose the adjustability of your suspension. If you do this, you also have to install simulators that fool the car into thinking that the adjustable shocks are still present, otherwise it will throw a trouble light.

A common upgrade for the F55 cars is installing the Z51 sway bars, which are relatively inexpensive, and the shocks of your choice.

Last edited by GW360; 08-29-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Teo
3rd Gear

I used this old thread because some forums suggest to do this way instead of creating a new one dealing with the same topic.

Anyway, thanks for your answer
Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I absolutely agree with a driving school. I've been driving on race tracks since 92. There are things that can be done to improve feel of car if that's what you are looking for. I don't think a C6 has polyurethane bushings(my track car is 04 ZO6, Street car 09 vert with Z51 option). So that is something to think about. Tires will also help. Corner weighting will help. Even my 09 vert is corner weighted, lowered, slight performance alignment and has Michlens. I would do these things before going with shocks or coilovers.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 PM
GW360
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackcasual
I absolutely agree with a driving school. I've been driving on race tracks since 92. There are things that can be done to improve feel of car if that's what you are looking for. I don't think a C6 has polyurethane bushings(my track car is 04 ZO6, Street car 09 vert with Z51 option). So that is something to think about. Tires will also help. Corner weighting will help. Even my 09 vert is corner weighted, lowered, slight performance alignment and has Michlens. I would do these things before going with shocks or coilovers.
...and this is why it's better to start a new thread, LOL
Old 08-29-2014, 06:43 PM
high9s
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Firedog
He was born in 1987....
So was Sebastian Vettel July 3 1987. I'm missing the point
Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Went to Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and replaced the Good Year Run Flats at 13000 miles. Big improvement. Second step is the driving school hopefully Ron Fellows. Everything else is only if you are going to do a lot of track days or race.

Racing is how you make a small fortune by starting with a big one.

Last edited by Richard Ames; 08-29-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Best way to improve the handling on the C6?