C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Disappointed with Heavier New Top

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 PM
smilingbig
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Disappointed with Heavier New Top

I had separation problems with my top on my Black '06 coupe. Tom Jumper in Atlanta fixed it but it is much heavier than my old top. It is much harder to take off by myself which is one of the reasons I bought the car. After 6 months of run around and having several calls not returned, I was given an 800 number. Very disappointed in their service! Anyone else upset with the weight of their new top? Is your new top heavier? Thanks.

Last edited by smilingbig; 05-31-2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: put on Ken's page by mistake. Want to move to gen discussion page. not sure how to do it
Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
portmgr198
Burning Brakes

I know what you mean. I took the newly replaced top off for the first time this week and noticed how much heavier it is now than it used to be. Good reason for a gym membership?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:12 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I have carpal tunnel in my right wrist and I too am having difficulties handling the new SMC roof by myself, in fact I dropped inside my car when my wrist suddenly weakened. I was lucky and it landed flat on top of my padded consol arm rest.

I now use my lexan top with DSV's roof liner. On my bathroom scale (yes I know not very scientific but it will display any difference between 2 items) and the new SMC roof is 4 pounds heavier. But at least it's not a Frisbee anymore.

Tom
Old 06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
billsee
Instructor

Default heavier top

I agree it is heavier and somewhat harder to handle. But the light one didn't stay bonded. Were you calling to have them to send your old one back again?

Just leave the top in the garage and keep a raincoat in a storage compartment.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:54 PM
smilingbig
3rd Gear

First, Tom Jumper said they could do nothing but he did say sorry. So far I have talked to the Chevy customer service 800 number. If anyone knows the head of the Corvette division and phone number I would appreciate it. My point is I spent $50,000 on the premier American made sports car. I purposely choice it over a convertible because I like the hard top and it was very light and easy to take off. In the cd we all got they make a big point of this. I now feel I do not have the same car because it is difficult to take my top off. In fact, I would not buy the car if it came this way. When I bought my car I choice not to get the clear top because I have a black car and live in Georgia. To sum this up, the clear top was a $750 option when I bought my car. I believe the fair response from Chevolet is to sell me this top for $375. They pay for half and I pay for half. So that is where I am trying to head. I have had a Porsche, BMW's, Mecedes in the past and I believe if they screwed up their design of their car, they would make it right. I have seen them do it. Last point, I ordered my car in December of '05. The price of GM stock was about 17 and people where talking of them maybe going bankrupt. I thought I am going to buy American, help out. Forget that next time. I enjoy my car but am extremely disappointed in both the dealer's service who I thought was one of the best and Chevolet and I think bad things of each every time I try to take my top off.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:03 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by smilingbig
I have had a Porsche, BMW's, Mecedes in the past and I believe if they screwed up their design of their car, they would make it right. I have seen them do it.
Actually, GM did make it right, they replaced it with a top that does not delaminate. While my car is an 07 and has the new top, I don't think 4 lbs. is that much heavier.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

It seems the right thing was done.... your defective top was replaced with a good one.
It is my opinion you are asking for too much when you want them to pay half the cost of a new lexan top.
If you want a lexan top, buy one yourself.
Sorry, but that's how I feel.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 PM
jruss361
Racer

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I have carpal tunnel in my right wrist and I too am having difficulties handling the new SMC roof by myself, in fact I dropped inside my car when my wrist suddenly weakened. I was lucky and it landed flat on top of my padded consol arm rest.

I now use my lexan top with DSV's roof liner. On my bathroom scale (yes I know not very scientific but it will display any difference between 2 items) and the new SMC roof is 4 pounds heavier. But at least it's not a Frisbee anymore.

Tom
It is also not factory paint!
Old 07-14-2007, 01:33 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Have you considered picking up a clear top and Down South Vettes removeable headliner? The top is very light and the headliner makes it very versatile and looks stock when it's installed.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:01 PM
C6Brian
Racer

I had separation problems with my top on my Black '06 coupe. Tom Jumper in Atlanta fixed it but it is much heavier than my old top. It is much harder to take off by myself which is one of the reasons I bought the car. After 6 months of run around and having several calls not returned, I was given an 800 number. Very disappointed in their service! Anyone else upset with the weight of their new top? Is your new top heavier? Thanks.
Just get the clear top. Since your car is black, the clear top appears black from the outside and would look awesome on your car. Ditch the black painted top and never look back. Thats what I did with my LMB top. If the sun bothers you there are vendors here that sell sun shades to cover the clear from under.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:52 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

If You Had Complained And Wanted A Lexan Top At The Beginning You Might Have Gotten It. Also Tom Jumper Does Not Make The Top Gm Does. The Engineers Felt They Needed Something To Fix This Problem And Making It Heavier May Have Been The Answer Don't Know Without Seeing Tech Data On Problem. Yes Porsches Or Vw's Are Nice Cars. But Every Time I Hear One I Think 1960's Vw.
Z51vett
Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Is this on the painte top ? or the clear ?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:11 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

PAINTED TOPS ON 05,06, MY O5 AND BOTH O6'S. DON'T KNOW IF IT MADE IT TO 07 MODEL YEAR.
z51vett
Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
It seems the right thing was done.... your defective top was replaced with a good one.
It is my opinion you are asking for too much when you want them to pay half the cost of a new lexan top.
If you want a lexan top, buy one yourself.
Sorry, but that's how I feel.
I have to disagree. My top has been replaced, besides being heavier the fitment isn't the same, the paint is no longer factory and doesn't match exactly. I asked GM to let me purchase the clear top with an associated credit for the repair before they did the repair. Their answer was "no" of course. Now they can pay to paint it again and again until it is right. The dealer says the fitment is fine and that since it isn't in the TSB to make any adjustments they can't do anything without charging me even though they agree that it isn't the same as the vettes they have on the floor.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

To sum this up, the clear top was a $750 option when I bought my car. I believe the fair response from Chevolet is to sell me this top for $375.
The transparent top was a $750 option, but that is not the price of the top by itself. That $750 was the DIFFERENCE in price between the standard painted top that comes with the car and the transparent top. In other words, if you had paid the $750, you would not get both tops.

To get both tops, the option is $1400, which says the price of the transparent top alone is $1400.

Quite honestly, unless you have a problem like AFVETTE talked about, I don't understand why some here are making such a big deal about 4 lbs..
Old 07-15-2007, 11:47 AM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by JimTN
The transparent top was a $750 option, but that is not the price of the top by itself. That $750 was the DIFFERENCE in price between the standard painted top that comes with the car and the transparent top. In other words, if you had paid the $750, you would not get both tops.

To get both tops, the option is $1400, which says the price of the transparent top alone is $1400.

Quite honestly, unless you have a problem like AFVETTE talked about, I don't understand why some here are making such a big deal about 4 lbs..

I just got my third painted top and this is quite an improvement. It is super quiet, the dealer did a good job of painting it and I'm happy with it. I will use the painted top in the Summer and the clear one in Winter.
Yes I did notice that it was a bit heavier, as long as it doesn't creak and come apart I can accept that-- eddie
Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

First, Tom Jumper said they could do nothing but he did say sorry. So far I have talked to the Chevy customer service 800 number. If anyone knows the head of the Corvette division and phone number I would appreciate it. My point is I spent $50,000 on the premier American made sports car. I purposely choice it over a convertible because I like the hard top and it was very light and easy to take off. In the cd we all got they make a big point of this. I now feel I do not have the same car because it is difficult to take my top off. In fact, I would not buy the car if it came this way. When I bought my car I choice not to get the clear top because I have a black car and live in Georgia. To sum this up, the clear top was a $750 option when I bought my car. I believe the fair response from Chevolet is to sell me this top for $375. They pay for half and I pay for half. So that is where I am trying to head. I have had a Porsche, BMW's, Mecedes in the past and I believe if they screwed up their design of their car, they would make it right. I have seen them do it. Last point, I ordered my car in December of '05. The price of GM stock was about 17 and people where talking of them maybe going bankrupt. I thought I am going to buy American, help out. Forget that next time. I enjoy my car but am extremely disappointed in both the dealer's service who I thought was one of the best and Chevolet and I think bad things of each every time I try to take my top off.
Do you know how BMW made it right? They had so many issues with repairs and the cost of them, they put in place this 3year everything included. And just in case you think that was a gimme from BMW, guess who pays for it? Not BMW.

I have no reason to doubt AFVETTE, and if it's 4lbs heavier, granted, it's heavier. But 4lbs.??? C'mon, unless you have his physical issues, 4 lbs. shouldn't be a deal killer.

Get notified of new replies

To Very Disappointed with Heavier New Top

Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No disrespect but you're only talking about a 4 lb increase....not 40 lbs. I think you're making a 'mountain out of a mole hill.' If you based your decision to buy the car from the promotional video (showing how easy it was to remove) I think you're somewhat gullible. My long experience with BMWs would not lead me to believe they would be any more accommodating that the Chevrolet dealership.

What is the weight difference between your present top and the clear top you want? Do you even know?

You mention having bad thoughts about the dealership/GM every time you "try" to take your roof panel off. Are you still able to take the roof panel off or do you just continually "try" to take it off and fail? If you can remove the top...quit complaining. If you can't take it off why do you keep trying?

It was nice gesture for you to buy a Corvette just to help GM out but maybe you should have bought their stock (at 17) instead of the car. My GM stock is now around 37 a share.

If I were the decision-maker, I'd sell you the clear top you want at cost just to make the 'problem' go-away.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:32 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I can't understand all the whining over adding 4 lbs. This really does reinforce my belief that some owners of German and Japanese cars will go to great lengths to bash American cars.

And the dealer service. Oh the horror !!

+4lbs ? Is that all you got ?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:34 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

That is why I love verts.... Top folds down without lifiting it up. Easy to do it manually (and with 1 person).

Quick Reply: Very Disappointed with Heavier New Top