C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS C6 Handful For Young Driver? 350Z to C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:11 PM
SXY-TME
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS C6 Handful For Young Driver? 350Z to C6

Hello Everyone!

Little First Post Introduction:

BTW first things first. Very Nice forum, lots of information, some interesting topics and good atmosphere as it seems. Little introduction, name is Shayan. Very passionate about cars. One of those guys that will live in a box, but drives a nice car type of deal So enough about advertising. Not a dating site

History of My Daily Driver

I drive 06 350Z. I wanted to get an M3, but the bank account wouldn't allow it. Even after years of envy of such car I had to take the 350Z. Didn't really want to waste another summer saving up for the E46M3. So I've had my car for almost a year and such change. It's leased because as I mentioned, it wasn't really my first choice. So my lease is coming up in a few months and I've been playing with my options. So I've was sure about a used M3 for certain until the last a few months.

M3 As of Now

That car was very sexy back in 01-Aug 06 (Last Production Model). But of course time has passed. The technology is old and right now the normal 3 series from BMW are faster than the E46M3. Also the new M3 is expensive with the MSRP, and I doubt you can find one until a year since there are so many ballers in USA (Knock on wood) and everyone probably will want it. So having been looking at my choices, for the price of a used 06 M3 (40-50) I saw that C6 Corvette was there. It looks astonishing and boy oh boy the reviews for her brother (Z06) are just everywhere. Having been doing some other research I found out the 08 will have more power and more luxury.

So enough about all the stuff you know. My dilemma.

I started learning driving around 14, my first car was a 1987 Accord, on to 1995 Camry, 2000 Camry, 2003 Accord, 06 Altima and now 06 350Z. I'll be 21 shortly and something about my C6 scares me. I just feel like, the car is for the big boys with a lot of knowledge about driving. Having learned driving on cars with not even ABS, I've managed to put together some great experience. Actually my only TECHNO car is the 06 350Z that has traction, ABS, Break ASSIST, VCD (Launch). So with all that, can a 21 year old drive a C6 without a problem. Is the car too much for a young driver with almost 7 years of experience. How does the car feel? Is it heavy, easy to ride, take turns. Do you have to be professional with lots of mileage under you belt. Maybe some 350Z who have migrated can chime in. Any form of help is appreciated.

BTW, this forum needs a Picture section. I keep wanting to just look at pictures but there are only scattered threads around. Is there a section I'm missing??

-Shayan
Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

If you drive a 350Z you won't have any problems with a C6. As a matter of fact it's a very forgiving car. You can make a lot of mistakes with a vette but with all the nanny's onboard you're hard pressed to actually stuff one. This assumes just a small amount of commonsense applied. Learn the car a little bit and you'll simply be loving to drive it. One of the best driving cars I've ever owned. You have more than enough experience to handle one. BTW.. if you can afford one then go for it............ It's a great car for all ages but what could be better than being 21 with a vette?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I came out of a 350z also, a Stillen stage 3 actually.
As long as you leave the traction/stability control on at all times, at least until you really learn the car, you will be fine.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Keaka26
Instructor

I came out of an '06 G35 coupe, basically the 4 seater version of your Z...Im not worried at all about the Vette, and Im only 24, not much older than yourself.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 PM
CropDuster
Safety Car

I'm 20, I started with a '89 Mustang GT, that car was infinitely harder to drive than the 3 vettes (95, 97, 06) I've had since due to lack of traction; it'd spin and hydroplane in a second. With the Traction Control and Active Handling on in a vette you'd have to do something pretty stupid to screw up. Just use your head, don't be an idiot, and you'll have no problems.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:42 PM
SXY-TME
Racer

Some reassuring responses. Thanks guys. The reason I brought up the dilemma was because I saw a few threads that people had problems with traction control. Also just saw an accident that was caused by a small downshift. So with such threads, it started to scare me that maybe this car is really for the strong and not so much for the weak.

BTW, Hell yeah on the 350Z - G35 owners. Also thanks to CTH -CropDuster for good words
Old 05-30-2007, 11:45 PM
keith5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To test yourself go skydiving.. Put out at about 7K feet. Freefall about 4K feet. If your mind and body instantly catch up to your freefall speed then you will have no trouble with a 'Vette....
Old 05-30-2007, 11:47 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

You will be just fine, just use some common sense while on the road, and don't fall for the traffic light rabbits
Old 05-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The Vette is a wonderful car. It would be wrong not to get one. Here's a link to the pics you're looking for.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot.../ppuser/162509
Old 05-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Soccerprep205
Instructor

hey its a great change, although i do miss the Z a bit love the VQ block! (i was turbo'd) but still like even stock Z's

Went from this

To this

yout wont miss the Z too much. it seems like you have the same type of personality as i do, and young drivers in vettes get a TON of attention... have fun with it!!

Last edited by Soccerprep205; 05-31-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:09 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Driving a C6 (or any car for that matter) is not age dependent. With common sense, a little self-restraint and practice you should not have any problems. FWIW I drove BMWs for 20+ years. I still like BMWs but they don't possess the sheer thrill factor the Vette does.

If you want a Corvette...if you can afford one and IMO if you possess the maturity to drive one responsibly....buy it. You'll love it.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:45 AM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
If you drive a 350Z you won't have any problems with a C6. As a matter of fact it's a very forgiving car. You can make a lot of mistakes with a vette but with all the nanny's onboard you're hard pressed to actually stuff one. This assumes just a small amount of commonsense applied. Learn the car a little bit and you'll simply be loving to drive it. One of the best driving cars I've ever owned. You have more than enough experience to handle one. BTW.. if you can afford one then go for it............ It's a great car for all ages but what could be better than being 21 with a vette?
Having two Vettes at 21?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:46 AM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

i jumped from a 04 350z roadster to a c6 vette, best move ive made in a long time

Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 AM
J0J0
Safety Car

Location: NYC and Piscataway (depends on where work takes me)

Having NEVER driven a vette before in my life, my closest experience to anything high performance was a 1996 Impala SS. Still have it but it's no where NEAR the caliber of the vette, let alone the C6Z06 that sits in the stables now.

My best advice for you (from one newb to another), take your time to learn the car. I know you have prior experience with the 350Z. Yes, not the same as the C6 but still an advantage. Take your time to learn the car and don't drive beyond your limits. If you have the chance, take a high performance driving school like Spring Mountain or Bondurant. If not, just take it easy and keep the corvette nanny's activated till you learn the car more.

Went from This

and this

to this ...

BTW, still have the SS and Tahoe Limited ... just added to the collection. I love my GM!
I've been stupid at times and got into it too hard but the handling and traction control saved me. Keep them engaged till you learn the car. It just may save your hide
Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 AM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

not trying to thread jack at all here...

that thought has crossed my mind as well honestly...the most ive had power wise is my current car...a 1.8T (VW GLI)....so yea...going from a close to 200whp FWD car to an approx 360-380whp RWD has me thinking a few nasty thoughts...lol...im not a jackass when i drove though...i actually ahave a very cool mind and not into racing or any of that crap to tell you the truth....but i always had that thought in my mind..that it would be a BIG jump...i guess i'll see when i get there...im 25 btw...and my other disadvantage...im 5'4... so yea going from a "sport" compact car to a v8 sports car...theres a definite size difference...
Old 05-31-2007, 02:34 AM
Brtnchild180
4th Gear

You wont be dissapointed with the vette.

Like said on Borat, the corvette has "the magnet"

My stage 2 STI is faster than my C6 but i like
driving the C6 more. I always get hit on when
im driving the C6.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

You shouldn't have any problems at all. My 18-year-old daughter drives my C6 vert all the time. She loves driving it to school (really confuses everyone since her DD is a Prius).

The C6 is a great choice. I also have an 03 M3 convertible and love driving it too, but they're entirely different cars. The C6 is much easier to drive and much more forgiving. The M3 is very fast and handles really well, but is skittish at the limit.

If you don't need the backseat (the reason I own the M3), get the C6.

Get notified of new replies

To IS C6 Handful For Young Driver? 350Z to C6

Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 AM
studlee2
Heel & Toe

I had two 350Z's prior to my BMW 330XI and '05 C6. I will say the C6 is a bigger car to drive--it feels bigger and it turns wider.

It has a lot of power, but as long as you drive responsible, you'll be fine.

As most of the responses have already stated, the car is forgiving and a blast to drive.

If you're that worried, you could always drop $1K and go to a driving school.

Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As long as you drive with common sense and don't wind up like this:

you should be fine. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

My old Z