C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav GPS-ease of use????

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
tomhanaway
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Nav GPS-ease of use????

Can anyone give me an idea of how user friendly the nav gps is??
I've used the Garmin 27xx and 28xx series and they're wonderful. Very intuitive.
I recently used a gps in a ford SUV and it was absolutely horrible to use.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:48 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by tomhanaway
Can anyone give me an idea of how user friendly the nav gps is??
I've used the Garmin 27xx and 28xx series and they're wonderful. Very intuitive.
I recently used a gps in a ford SUV and it was absolutely horrible to use.
Not very intuitive, not very user friendly. The opinions on it's functionality are also widely varied. I happen to live in the Northeast. New roads here make it on to the update DVD generally in the first cycle. I've never had it steer me wrong. Others have not had the same experience. I have also seen user (entry) error on preferences, routing or choices. With all of that, I would buy it again as I like the clean look and prefer the integration with the HUD.

Paul
Old 05-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Another Don
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep you Garmins. I have the OEM Nav in my vert, but have a Garmin Nuvi in my coupe. The OEM Nav in the wifely-unit's Acura and my Nuvi are far better than the Vette Nav system. For one thing, you can work them on the fly as you are driving down the road...you can't do that in the Vette. Frankly, I think the HUD integration is overrated...it only works in street mode and can be annoying having to watch it for a couple of straight minutes while you creep up on the intersection where it's telling you to turn.

Just my 2¢ YMMV

Last edited by Another Don; 05-30-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:23 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

There will be as many different opinions on this subject as there are posters. I find the system at least as intuitive as most other OEM systems (we have a BMW Nav and Lexus Nav as well as the Vette and I have used the Acura and Mercedes systems and several Aviation Garmin units) They all have their quirks. The manual is the least intuitive part of the system IMO, but the data is there, you just have to ferret it out. I can't believe that the folks that wrote the manual were sober at the time. If you know how the systems work in general, you should be able to figure out how to get it to do what you want.

It is sort of annoying to not be able to do some things on the fly, but you can blame the lawyers for that. Personally, I love the integration with the HUD. Keeps me from having to keep looking over at the nav screen while I am trying to negotiate traffic.

If it is really a big deal, try and ride with someone that has nav and with a portable system, see what you like best.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:36 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
There will be as many different opinions on this subject as there are posters. I find the system at least as intuitive as most other OEM systems (we have a BMW Nav and Lexus Nav as well as the Vette and I have used the Acura and Mercedes systems and several Aviation Garmin units) They all have their quirks. The manual is the least intuitive part of the system IMO, but the data is there, you just have to ferret it out. I can't believe that the folks that wrote the manual were sober at the time. If you know how the systems work in general, you should be able to figure out how to get it to do what you want.

It is sort of annoying to not be able to do some things on the fly, but you can blame the lawyers for that. Personally, I love the integration with the HUD. Keeps me from having to keep looking over at the nav screen while I am trying to negotiate traffic.

If it is really a big deal, try and ride with someone that has nav and with a portable system, see what you like best.
The HUD integration is what sold me on the OEM Nav. That's just a wonderful feature. I have to agree that the manual is very poorly written. I also have to agree that not being able to do things on the fly is a PITA. But compared to a handheld, the in dash Nav is light years ahead. I hate loose gadgets in the car, and being old enough to require bifocals, I'm not happy with small screens either. The nicest thing about the HUD for me is I can read it with the same distance vision as I use for watching the road. Having to pull my view inside the car to read a small screen is no longer acceptable to me.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

It's awful. When I first got it, I could have accepted that I was just not "nav savy". I"ve since bought an Infiniti M45 with factory nav, and a Garmin 2720 "aftermarket" nav.

With 1 being the worst, and 10 being best as far as ease of use, I'd rate the Corvette a 1, the Infiniti a 7 and the Garmin a 9. To add insult to injury, the Infiniti and nav also have more features.

I'll give you one example. The Corvette has two "icons" at the bottom of the screen when you are programming a route. One is for setting way point, the other is to start route guidance. I challenge anyone to look at the two icons and tell me how you know which is which without consulting the manual.

The people who are okay with it are the ones who don't mind sitting in the car for several hours in the driveway studying every page of the manual, and use it on a regular basis.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:49 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I challenge anyone to look at the two icons and tell me how you know which is which without consulting the manual.
It is a 50/50 deal and I was lucky enough to get it right the first time. After that, it was a no brainer.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 PM
shopdog
Race Director

The people who are okay with it are the ones who don't mind sitting in the car for several hours in the driveway studying every page of the manual, and use it on a regular basis.
That would be me. Not only did I read everything that came with the car, some of it twice, I also bought the shop manuals and read them cover to cover. Doesn't everyone?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:54 PM
carjon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I agree with most of the comments. I would guess that if you used it all the time it would be very user friendly because you'd know how to do things. I don't use mine very often and struggle to figure out how to do things.
I also think the screen resolution is very poor compared to others. It also has some annoying things about it - you go down some highways and it keeps telling you to continue on route XX - you have a hundred miles to go but it keeps telling you to continue at every exit. Then it seems to stop doing that for a while but then continues again. Again this may be my ignorance about how to set it. I'd also like it to give me a display of longitude and latitude and elevation that it doesn't give that I can figure out.
I do like the integration into the system and the HUD when it is really giving directions.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:23 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
That would be me. Not only did I read everything that came with the car, some of it twice, I also bought the shop manuals and read them cover to cover. Doesn't everyone?
And all this time I just assumed you were a guy
Old 05-30-2007, 05:33 PM
shopdog
Race Director

And all this time I just assumed you were a guy
Just an engineer who has never gotten out of the habit of learning. If you don't know, you can't do.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:58 PM
keith5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Another Don
Keep you Garmins. I have the OEM Nav in my vert, but have a Garmin Nuvi in my coupe. The OEM Nav in the wifely-unit's Acura and my Nuvi are far better than the Vette Nav system. For one thing, you can work them on the fly as you are driving down the road...you can do that in the Vette. Frankly, I think the HUD integration is overrated...it only works in street mode and can be annoying having to watch it for a couple of straight minutes while you creep up on the intersection where it's telling you to turn.

Just my 2¢ YMMV
I have Nav in my '06 Vert. It has been designed by sadistic, illogical engineers who take pride in causing confusion and frustration for the driver at speed. It's "two thumbs down" !
I take my Nuvi with me on trips. That should tell you how bad the Vette Nav is.
I'm just hoping that somebody cracks the codes or GM/Denso release a software upgrade that greatly improves it...
Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by shopdog
The HUD integration is what sold me on the OEM Nav. That's just a wonderful feature. I have to agree that the manual is very poorly written. I also have to agree that not being able to do things on the fly is a PITA. But compared to a handheld, the in dash Nav is light years ahead. I hate loose gadgets in the car, and being old enough to require bifocals, I'm not happy with small screens either. The nicest thing about the HUD for me is I can read it with the same distance vision as I use for watching the road. Having to pull my view inside the car to read a small screen is no longer acceptable to me.
Exactly.
Aftermarket systems may be easier to program, but nothing beats using the HUD in heavy traffic.
When we bought the C6, I'd been flying glass cockpit airplanes for about 15 years. Those multi-million dollar systems aren't any more intuitive than the C6 system.
"Now I know how my dog feels when he watches television"
Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

I got it mostly because it was offered and it's a "neat cool" feature. Fact is I will be driving my Vette 99% of the time on streets and roads that I already know well enough to not need any navigation assistance.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

I've got a portable Garmin 2720 and the incar unit. I like them both and frequently use both on a trip. The Garmin has a map program for my home computer where I can create a route and download it to the unit. As for the incar unit, personally I don't want people programing their Nav system while they're driving. There are too many driving distractions already. And the only thing you can't do while driving is input an address from scratch. If you do that before you start driving and go to "previous destinations" you can select any of those destinations while driving.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 PM
harrisraw
Burning Brakes

I like being able to plan out the route ahead of time at home too. The TomTom ONE that I've been using lets you do that too. I also like the ability to take it with my if I'm driving in someone else's car which you can't do with an in dash. The ONE is pretty thin too and really portable so its really easy to switch between cars.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:15 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I have a Garmin NUVI in my DD; it's a great little unit.
I have the factory NAV in my C6 and find it to be a great unit also. I especially like the HUD integration. I find it just as easy to use as the NUVI. But, having the ability to enter destinations on the fly doesn't interest me and I live in a very populated established area that rarely sees new roads.

Get notified of new replies

To Nav GPS-ease of use????

Old 05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I find it interesting that when I asked the question on the ZO6 forum on whether I should order the Nav with the ZO6, almost everyone said to do it. I am still on the line about it. I have a factory unit in the SRX and also have the Garmin unit when traveling, and between those two, I would take the Garmin. In the Vette, because of the nature of the type of driving, I don't believe I would really use either.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Tri-Tip
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been using mine for only 2 days and found it VERY intuitive to use.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Wingrider
Burning Brakes

Overall, I am happy with the Nav system. The voice recognition feature, however, is another matter. I find it useless and have given up trying to use it. The "go home" lights up every bank icon in the area.

Quick Reply: Nav GPS-ease of use????