C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Not A Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:52 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

If the Z06 was a targa or vert, one would be in my garage right now....

But it isn't and never will be which is why I am modding my vert When I am done, I will likely have more money in the vert than I would have had in a Z06 (cept, I'd likely mod that too)
Old 05-30-2007, 03:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
5 seconds with my plasma cutter to remove the tabs, 5 minutes with the TIG to reinstall. I don't think the Z06 bolted in targa panel adds much rigidity compared to the latched in targa of the ordinary C6 coupe. True, with either one removed there is a bit more body flex, but body and frame are isolated by rubber donuts on the Corvette. It isn't a unibody like the Camaro. So neither one does much to stiffen the chassis against suspension loads.
The C5/C6 is a unibody. It starts out with a space frame but the frame becomes part of the body as the car is assembled. There are no rubber donuts. You can not seperate the body from the frame as they are one.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:16 PM
kyoung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I could afford a Z06 I would have one, you get a lot of technology for a little (relatively speaking) money. You can’t just strap a supercharger on Z51 and compare it to a Z06.

I wish my current car didn't have the removable top, that’s what convertibles are for.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't just take the roof off the Z and convert it to a targa without significant frame work. That's one of the biggest pieces to the work and price that one conversion company that is doing it the right way. They instrumented up a Z without the roof and found all kinds of excess chassis flex without the roof in place. So they made chassis modifications part of their package.

I think that guy who just took out his Z roof with no chassis stiffening is going to find out what aluminum fatigue means. One day that roof is not going to drop into the opening, and why won't these doors open?
The roof on a Z plays a big structural roll, take a peak at the size of those brackets and mounting bolts.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:22 PM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

The Z06 is an entirely different car then a coupe or vert.
There are so many differences, it's like comparing apples to oranges.
This is not to say any of the models are better or worse, just that there are differences.
That being said, there are many who are attracted to the Z06, but that ultimately chose to coupe or vert.
There is no right or wrong choice - just the one that makes you happy.
So consider what you want, and then go for it.
There's no way you can make a bad decision.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
So you can't remove the top on a Z06....I'll relay a funny story. I had lunch with another CF member a couple weeks ago. He told me he saw a new Z06 at a gas station and while observing the Z06 he noticed something different....this Z06 had the roof panel removed.

In his conversation with the owner of this targa-top Z06, the guy said he paid a local shop $1,900.00 to do the work. The work was first rate but the owner of the Z06 didn't have any idea about the structural problems inherent with cutting out the roof....or the fact he probably just cut the value of his Z06 in half.

What does a Caravaggio targa-top conversion cost on a Z06....something like $20,000.00?

It just goes to show that the Corvette Forum should be required reading for every Corvette owner.
I just checked into the Caravaggio Targa-top conversion for my 04'Z. It's only $6500..and they do all the work
Old 05-30-2007, 04:31 PM
RODXL1200
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NOVAVETTE
The Z06 is an entirely different car then a coupe or vert.
There are so many differences, it's like comparing apples to oranges.
This is not to say any of the models are better or worse, just that there are differences.
That being said, there are many who are attracted to the Z06, but that ultimately chose to coupe or vert.
There is no right or wrong choice - just the one that makes you happy.
So consider what you want, and then go for it.
There's no way you can make a bad decision.
I started with a coupe, went to a vert, now a Z06. Like a woman I love them all.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:35 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Oh dear God, please tell me you don't have a son who will be following in your footsteps on the forum
Yep.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Michrider
You can't just take the roof off the Z and convert it to a targa without significant frame work. That's one of the biggest pieces to the work and price that one conversion company that is doing it the right way. They instrumented up a Z without the roof and found all kinds of excess chassis flex without the roof in place. So they made chassis modifications part of their package.

I think that guy who just took out his Z roof with no chassis stiffening is going to find out what aluminum fatigue means. One day that roof is not going to drop into the opening, and why won't these doors open?
The roof on a Z plays a big structural roll, take a peak at the size of those brackets and mounting bolts.
Yep. One day the windows are not going to go all the way up and form a tight seal.

One day he won't be able to open or close the doors with the windows up. This will be a few months before he discovers that the doors don't want to open and close correctly, even with the windows down.

Originally Posted by shopdog
5 seconds with my plasma cutter to remove the tabs, 5 minutes with the TIG to reinstall. I don't think the Z06 bolted in targa panel adds much rigidity compared to the latched in targa of the ordinary C6 coupe. True, with either one removed there is a bit more body flex, but body and frame are isolated by rubber donuts on the Corvette. It isn't a unibody like the Camaro. So neither one does much to stiffen the chassis against suspension loads.

I admit, I had to laugh out loud at this post.

I can just picture this guy spending 75K on a Z06 and then going out into his garage and taking his plasma cutter and TIG welder to it, for no other reason than to try and prove a point.

If I had a Z06, I'd never even consider cutting the top out of it.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-30-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:59 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
It doesn't come in automatic, that's one huge reason why I wouldn't want one.
Put in a good A6/A7/A8 whatever and I'd be all over it.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The C5/C6 is a unibody. It starts out with a space frame but the frame becomes part of the body as the car is assembled. There are no rubber donuts. You can not seperate the body from the frame as they are one.
The Corvette doesn't use a ladder frame anymore, but I wouldn't describe it as a unibody, either. The only stressed panels in the spaceframe are the footwells, tunnel, the panels behind the seats, and the floorboards. The rockers are glued on but aren't stressed, and everything else (all body panels, wheel houses, firewall, cargo area, roof) is just bolted to the frame. The engine mounts, transmission mounts, steering rack mounts, and suspension mounts are all connected directly to one of the main frame rails or a subframe connected to the frame rails.

That's not to suggest that the "body" lifts off as a single piece, of course.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh dear God, please tell me you don't have a son who will be following in your footsteps on the forum
Can't wait for my two friends to get going on this one.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:40 PM
CaBhaal
Racer

Originally Posted by Patman
It doesn't come in automatic, that's one huge reason why I wouldn't want one.
I don't want a clutch.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GotVett?
... are there any current mechanical negatives that would make you not want one?
I can't think of any mechanical negatives at the moment. There have been some concerns in the Z forum from time to time but I don't know of anything recently. As it is with my 06 Z51, I've needed a new clutch replacement under warranty (defective) and had the rear-end chatter and roof addressed, so it wouldn't be anything new.

Originally Posted by GotVett?
Who's thinking about bypassing the C6's latest offerings and just cut to the chase with the current Z?
My wife and I have visited the dealerships ever since the Z06 prices dropped to MSRP or below here in CA early this year (Incidentally, we were off again to visit 2 different dealerships the other week: one had a 10k markup while the one in San Jose was marked up 16k. Funny; after talking only a few minutes about 2 other dealerships who don't mark up their Z06's, both immediately said they would drop their mark-ups and sell at MSRP).

The main deterrent for me now isn't the price of the Z06, but the horrendous trade-in I'd get for the C6. I'd be better off selling it privately. My wife offered trading in her BMW Z4 along with the C6: 2 for 1. But that just doesn't add up--not just the double depreciation factor--but especially since I know it would be a HUGE sacrifice for her: she loves verts and prefers automatics. I couldn't deny her a sports car as she wouldn't want to deny me mine. Some will slam me for this, but if the Z06 could be optioned in a vert with paddle-shift (for my wife--and hey, it‘s good enough for formula 1 cars), we would have one right now to share (go ahead, flame). For me, the Z is an awesome car as it is right now, but it would be nice to simplify by reducing our 4 cars down to 3. Regardless, we are in no rush and the C6 is a fine car. Time will tell what we do.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the following I would be ordering a Z06 right now:

1. A6
2. GM Employee Discount
3. Removable top
Old 05-30-2007, 10:21 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

what are the 10 critical years you speak of?

I can only name about 30,000 reasons for not buying one. It would be a no-brainer if I weren't entering the ten critical years of making sure I have enough money for retirement, or if I decided to sell the two motorcycles
Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

its more like 1.4 seconds if you look at the best ET for non-z06 (12.2) vs best ET for z06 (10.85)

but 1/4 mile is only one of the many things that z06 excels in over base car.

and its more like a $25k difference (70k-45k)
[was only 20k difference for 2006, ignoring deal markups]

".8 quicker in the quarter mile (12.5-11.7) isn't worth $40k."

Get notified of new replies

To Why Not A Z06

Old 05-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
$40k price difference?
My '06 $45K out the door; Z06, $75K MSRP, $85K with addtl dealer markup. Your results may vary, but here in the Springs, the Zs I've seen advertised are never less than 10 over MSRP.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:01 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ramsundaram
Good point BLU.
For a Z51 base vs 2LZ base:
Its 47000 vs 74000 = 27K difference
No such thing as a "base" Z, at least in CO that I've seen. As I said in previous post, '06 and '07s go for 10 over sticker.

With respect to 1/4 times, I was using Chevrolet's quoted times. Of course many will do much worse--or much better.

Last edited by Whiterock1; 05-31-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got my '06 for $68.5 msrp, 2lz last June. Of course msrp has gone up, but the real price has come down as dealers are discouting. The 10 over crap is really for people that have more money than patience or live in a hotbed of auto vulchers (ie - so cal). If you want to simply give up at a dealer because the first quote is over, you don't have alot of bargaing experience...it sometimes takes several trips. My car started 10 over in week 1 and slowly came down to msrp over a 3 week period. It was worth the wait however, as I drove off the showroom floor with a z06 with 2 miles on the clock....for under 70. And this was at a point in time last year when everyone on the forum basically said that would be impossible. Wrong.

Quick Reply: Why Not A Z06