C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior - white haze?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:28 AM
bz94z28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior - white haze?

Just got my Vette out for the first time this spring - it has been stored in a heated garage all winter - started several times periodically this winter. Noticed that the door panels and console lid had a white haze on them. Does anyone else have this problem? I was a little disappointed when I saw this. Also, what is the best product to clean this off without making the door panels shiny?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Slow Ride 67
Advanced

Just a guess but the haze may be from moisture/condensation that occured over the winter. Next time, if you didn't use it, try damp rid or a similar product. To remove you can try iso alchol on a small spot, most times it will remove the white residue and restore the original finish, also Mr. Clean Eraser should work but it is much harsher.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Slow Ride 67
Just a guess but the haze may be from moisture/condensation that occured over the winter. Next time, if you didn't use it, try damp rid or a similar product. To remove you can try iso alchol on a small spot, most times it will remove the white residue and restore the original finish, also Mr. Clean Eraser should work but it is much harsher.
Careful where you use the eraser...they are mildly abrasive.

I think I'd just use a damp rag and if that doesn't do it add some mild soap. My next try would be a leather cleaner but test it first to make sure it doesn't leave behind any gloss.

You may also want to ask on the car care board.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:35 AM
jpeardm
Racer

Get a "Golden Rod" low power electric heater next year when you store the car, it helps dry any humidity inside the car during storage. People use them in boat cabins, they work pretty good. I think you can find them easy on google or amazon.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:13 PM
bz94z28
Racer

I have noticed the door panels and dash getting white marks on them from where I touch the door handle or dash - my interior is the charcoal....it seems to spot very easy.....
Old 04-20-2007, 02:23 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took the cover (Wolf Dustop) of of mine this AM.

It hasn't been touched for 6 months.

Prior to storage in my unheated but plastic floor tiled garege, I laid down a moisture barrier, gave the car a couple coats of Rejex, which I won't do again until I put it away again in the Fall, went over the vinyl with 303 and the leather with Pinnacle. I cracked the windows 1/4", hooked up the Battery Tender and forgot about it until today.

The car was spotless and smelled only of leather protectant.

It seems likely that the heated garage (but I'm guessing not dehumidified) promoted condensation in the interior which effected the vinyl dressing (aagin I'm assuming that you put something on it). Just plain white film in the absence of any product applied to you car sounds like mildew, but it would have that distinctive mildew smell.

As far as white spots on the interior: I have a black interior too and there no spotting at all.

What are you using as a vinyl dressing?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:24 PM
joegengsta
Racer

i agree, i just baught mine used and the interior was sun faded HORRIBLY..

i ended up rechemically treating and sealing the interior and now, 4 hours later, it looks perfect.

get some interior vinyl dash cleaner and use armor all, then use armor all protectant gel (new product)

20 bux and 4 hours restored my interior to better than brand new IMO
Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 PM
bz94z28
Racer

No - it isn't mildew - it still smells brand new...... the seats are fine - it is just mainly the door panels and the console lid. It looks like they sat out in the sun and baked. It looks better if I wipe it off with a damp towel - I have never used any vinyl product at all on it...... I usually just wipe it off with a very light damp towel......but it may need some
F21 protectant or armor all....... just wondered what people have had success with?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:49 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bz94z28
F21 protectant or armor all....... just wondered what people have had success with?
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the vinyl. Seems to work well.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:54 PM
IC6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lexol leather cleaner orange bottle, wram damp rag suds it up a bit, wipe with another damp rag.. no residue or shineyness.. best stuff i've ever used, and i've tried alot.. one bottle will last a few years at least
Old 04-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the vinyl. Seems to work well.

I've been using this on mt boats and now my C6 this stuff is awesome. I use it on seat dash and wheels.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:31 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by IC6
lexol leather cleaner orange bottle, wram damp rag suds it up a bit, wipe with another damp rag.. no residue or shineyness.. best stuff i've ever used, and i've tried alot.. one bottle will last a few years at least
I use it as well.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:35 PM
bz94z28
Racer

Thanks for the input - looks like another job to add 2 my list this weekend. Ugh.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:35 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Just got my Vette out for the first time this spring - it has been stored in a heated garage all winter - started several times periodically this winter. Noticed that the door panels and console lid had a white haze on them. Does anyone else have this problem? I was a little disappointed when I saw this. Also, what is the best product to clean this off without making the door panels shiny?
I have attempted to clean the C-6 interior with 303 and Klasse Interior cleaner and when I do it leaves exactly what you are describing. I understand it has something to do with the interior door panels/console being painted.
So what have you guys been sucessful in cleaning the door panels, console, interior of C-6?
Old 04-20-2007, 04:25 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS WON
I have attempted to clean the C-6 interior with 303 and Klasse Interior cleaner and when I do it leaves exactly what you are describing. I understand it has something to do with the interior door panels/console being painted.
So what have you guys been sucessful in cleaning the door panels, console, interior of C-6?
303 works fine for me.

I've yet to see a white film on vinyl regardless of the product.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:12 PM
SA HEAT
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did this when it was newer, especially on the dash and doors just as you described, especially after not driving it for a few weeks. IMO it's from the interior plastics degassing over time. A damp, soft cloth cleaned it up like new, no cleaner or chemicals needed.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:16 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
303 works fine for me.

I've yet to see a white film on vinyl regardless of the product.
No such luck here. I was told that mixing Zaino Z-10? and Z-16 the Tire Gloss would work.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior - white haze?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:17 PM
cortnjeff
Advanced

I had this. I believe it is just the material drying out and leaving so called "dry" spots that need to be re-moisturized. I noticed after I had mine, and going into it during the summer the "new car" smell (which is really voc's) was very strong, and soon after the white dust marks would come. I used Poorboys Natural Dressing, it's a protectant like Armour All but it leaves a non-glossy finish and brought back the deep black color. I used it for the dash, door panels, and even the black plastic door handle and it worked great. Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:03 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is indeed outgassing of the interior fabrics that accumulates on the plastic panels as well as on the inside of the glass.This has become a major issue in homes,especially in baby nurserys,as these gasses are toxic to infants.It is all part of that new car smell,and I suspect may be the cause of all the modaholism that is rampant among the regulars here on the Forum(buy new car/mod/buy new car/mod/etc)!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SA HEAT
Mine did this when it was newer, especially on the dash and doors just as you described, especially after not driving it for a few weeks. IMO it's from the interior plastics degassing over time. A damp, soft cloth cleaned it up like new, no cleaner or chemicals needed.
Same problem. Easy to clean with a good vinyl cleaner.

Quick Reply: Interior - white haze?