C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VaraRam on Warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
trvlrtom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VaraRam on Warrenty?

What does a VaraRam do to warrenty?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:02 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to ask your Chevrolet dealer. The dealer is the decision maker.

The warranty may still apply, except for drivability, emissions, oil leaks or other issues that may be caused by the aftermarket part.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
You have to ask your Chevrolet dealer. The dealer is the decision maker.

The warranty may still apply, except for drivability, emissions, oil leaks or other issues that may be caused by the aftermarket part.
I ask my service writer and they don't care unless there is oil on the MAF. But he did warn me that if GM inspect's the car for a warranty claim they are looking for things so they can deny the claim. He said they are aware of the law that states the mod must be the cause of the problem.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I ask my service writer and they don't care unless there is oil on the MAF. But he did warn me that if GM inspect's the car for a warranty claim they are looking for things so they can deny the claim. He said they are aware of the law that states the mod must be the cause of the problem.
Kyle or Tony? I would guess Kyle.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:24 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DP Dave
Kyle or Tony? I would guess Kyle.
Your right. He has an after market intake on his Hummer.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

get the vararam and keep your old air intake..if something ever happens to your car, install the old air intake.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

This is an old argument here as well - bottom line, if GM and/or the dealer look for a way to deny a warranty claim, putting a Vararam on will do it. ANY mod can be used to deny a warranty claim for ANY reason. Yes, yes...all the armchair attorneys here will chime in and remind me of the federal warranty laws, etc. All the laws in the world won't change the fact that once GM denies a claim, you are in the position of having to fight with them about it. I have never heard of a person successfully getting GM to voluntarily change its mind. So, it will take litigation of some kind (arbitration, a lawsuit, etc.). That will take months and cost you thousands.

IF YOU CAN'T PAY FOR THE EVENTUAL REPAIR, DON'T MOD YOUR CAR. PERIOD.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:35 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
This is an old argument here as well - bottom line, if GM and/or the dealer look for a way to deny a warranty claim, putting a Vararam on will do it. ANY mod can be used to deny a warranty claim for ANY reason. Yes, yes...all the armchair attorneys here will chime in and remind me of the federal warranty laws, etc. All the laws in the world won't change the fact that once GM denies a claim, you are in the position of having to fight with them about it. I have never heard of a person successfully getting GM to voluntarily change its mind. So, it will take litigation of some kind (arbitration, a lawsuit, etc.). That will take months and cost you thousands.

IF YOU CAN'T PAY FOR THE EVENTUAL REPAIR, DON'T MOD YOUR CAR. PERIOD.

GM changes their mind all the time. Its called settlement after they get sued. Why does GM look for reasons to deny the warranty claim, because they know that people like you will accept their position, not complain and get screwed out of the warranty benefit they are entitled to. To add insult to injury, they then make more money from you when you have to pay them for the parts to repair.

IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS, DON'T COMPLAIN IF YOU DON'T GET WARRANTY COVERAGE.

Given the amount of money spent by some on the forum to mod their cars, warranty coverage will not be an issue. If you don't have boatloads of money sitting around to buy the car and then mod the hell out of it, then it is an issue, especially for those who want the benefit of the 5 year/100K mile warranty.

What is an "armchair attorney"?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 PM
C6Harley
Drifting

I believe it was the moss maw?? The name isnt as important as what it states: If they cant directly show the modification to be the cuase of the failure, they cannot void the warranty. Too many dealers were voiding power window motors and whatnot because of an intake.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I think this is a ridiculous argument.

How can a company that pushes the racing heritage of a car the way they do get all pissy pants about you racing the car.

Bottom line: stop encouraging me to drive it like it was designed to be driven and stuff won't break.

Here's a perfect example, taken from www.chevy.com

Originally Posted by HUD blurb
This feature — standard on Z06, available on coupe and convertible — projects selected key vehicle information (even directions from an available navigation system) onto the windshield, allowing the driver to focus on the driving.

There are three settings for HUD — street, track 1, and track 2 — selectable by the mode button. In total, there are 10 different display combinations that the driver may select, including vehicle speed, engine rpm, a performance upshift guide for the six-speed manual transmission, and readings from key gauges, such as temperature and oil pressure.

A real-time g-meter also displays lateral acceleration in track mode. A gear readout for vehicles equipped with the available Six-Speed Paddle Shift with Automatic Modes appears only in the “S” mode on the gear selector when the Paddle Shift is in operation.
So again, if you're going to tell me to race it, don't void a warranty because I did what you told me to do.

It's like someone trying to sue Blow Pop for putting gum in the middle.

What the hell did you think you were buying?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Irv
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maj75
What is an "armchair attorney"?
An "armchair" anything is someone that likes to pontificate on the subject in question, but really doesn't have the training or skills or experience to be considered qualified to give expert advice. An armchain attorney is someone that quotes laws or regulations but doesn't really have any legal training or experience in legal matters.

In the case of whether mods affect your warranty I think it's the experience part that really counts, and in my experience it can be very expensive and energy-consuming to legally deal with a dealer or a car manufacturer, even when they are blatantly and provably wrong in a warranty judgement. If you mod anything consider your warranty for that assembly and some associated assemblies at risk. If that bothers you don't mod. Frankly, it has never bothered me one bit!

Get notified of new replies

To VaraRam on Warrenty?

Quick Reply: VaraRam on Warrenty?