C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 or CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:56 PM
DaveCorvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided NOT to get a vette BECAUSE it only has two seats. So...for whatever that info's worth, there it is. I wanted my cake and the ability to eat too, I guess. But before I'd pull the trigger on a cadillac, I would look at some import options first.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
RocketV
Racer

I traded my '05 CTS-V in on my C6 because I realized that I don't need to make the 4 door compromise. I liked the V, but the Corvette is way more fun. This only makes sense as the V is a sport sedan with all the baggage that goes with it. The car was fun to drive, but a bit of a beast. (BAD wheel hop) My tires lasted longer than most, but were bald at 15,000 miles.
If you like to mod your car, then the V is a great choice, due to the LS6 or LS2 motor(depending on year). The CTS-V forum is full of guys that have mods adding a bunch of horsepower. Of course alot of them then complain that the car can't handle the power.
One of the best things about the V is the stealth factor. I could get away with alot more in my stealth gray V than I can in my velocity yellow Corvette!
If I needed a 4 door sedan, the V would be my first choice, but I will never buy a new Cadillac again, as the depreciation is ferocious.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Loadtoad
Racer

I traded my 02Z for my 05 CTS-V 2 years ago when I got my assignment to Italy. I wanted a car with more luggage capacity so I could tour Europe in comfort. The first thing I did to the V was add the FG2 suspension which would be similar to the Z51 on the vette. The car is great for cruising the Autostrada and Autobahns at 160mph and the bumper-to-bumper warranty is honored Europe wide (have yet to have a single problem though).

I'm happy with the decision and have no regrets because the trade had a purpose. Now when I return to the states in 08, the first thing I will due is slide back over to a Corvette. I owned Corvettes for 10 years prior to the trade and I do miss sitting on the ground.

Austria
Old 04-09-2007, 04:35 PM
duelly777
Instructor

thanks to ALL!!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Pseudosport
Advanced

Have both. Before the flaming, keep the Vette and find an '04 V. Don't buy brand new and get smacked by the depreciation. I love both cars but the Vette is "purpose built" and the V is a great family car. It is my daily driver and an absolute blast to drive! Very nicely kept '04s can be had for around $30,000. My wife has a Suburban for the heavy duty haulin' but as I stated in a similar thread, the V hauls the kids and hauls a$$! If the Vette must go, get a V, have an awesome ride with a practical side. I must warn you though, the V is a gas hog! Good luck bro!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:53 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

I think on this forum,the answers should be for the vette!!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 PM
vr6aaron
Pro

The V is a nice car, but come on the vette is a vette. It of course is not a pratical car for the family but thats why you need a sec car for the family. I had the V and sold her to get the Vette. As much as i loved my V it doesnt even compare to the Vette. If had to get rid of the Vette then the V would be my sec option. The V is know for its problems, bad rear end, bad wheel hop, etc. Hey but its American what do u expect. lol Here was my V

Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 PM
EBMR02Z
Instructor

I think the CTS-V is a great car. If your dead set on an American car then that or an SRT-8 car would be the choice. However, I have not seen where anyone has mentioned the MB E55. That thing is a beast! I have driven a couple of those and they will give a stock C5Z a run from a dead stop. All that power (516rwtq), ventilated seats, air suspension, seats 5 adults, whats not to love. If I did not like going to the track so much I would trade my Z in a minute.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

If you need 4-place seating, a big V8, and a manual transmission the CRS-V is pretty tough to beat. It's got a lot going for it but like others here have already pointed out its interior is pretty weak. I personally think it looks kind of low-grade and I hate the fact that it doesn't have a complete set of analog instruments. Also, as Tom (AFVETTE) pointed out, the car is being completely redone for 2008. I've seen pics and the new one is definitely worth waiting for.

If you can live with an automatic transmission you might want to check out:
  • Chrysler 300 SRT8 (425 hp Hemi)
  • Audi S4 (one of the sweetest V8s available today)
  • Audi A6 4.2
  • Infiniti M45
  • Volvo S80 V8 AWD

Any of these cars would have you riding in style with a sweet V8 under the hood. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:50 AM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

C6!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Kerry64
Advanced

The CTS-V is one great car and if you really need a back seat I don't think you could do much better. Caddy is making a very nice car now. I think my wife is considering a new CTS for her next car. The car before my 05 C6 was a 4 door BMW M3. Before I bought the M3 I drove a 1999 C5 hardtop and loved it, but I thought I needed a back seat so I found a very hard to find M3 4 door. I loved the M3, but never really needed the back seat after all. So I traded that on my C6 and have been very happy ever since.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Groovepusher Sly
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Calculate your how much moola you can part with (maybe $20 G's). Go to my favorite place for good used American Iron, Carmax, (no CTS-V's right now) but you can find a nice family car. Keep the Vette to get your performance fix.

Sly
Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Loadtoad
I traded my 02Z for my 05 CTS-V 2 years ago when I got my assignment to Italy. I wanted a car with more luggage capacity so I could tour Europe in comfort. The first thing I did to the V was add the FG2 suspension which would be similar to the Z51 on the vette. The car is great for cruising the Autostrada and Autobahns at 160mph and the bumper-to-bumper warranty is honored Europe wide (have yet to have a single problem though).

I'm happy with the decision and have no regrets because the trade had a purpose. Now when I return to the states in 08, the first thing I will due is slide back over to a Corvette. I owned Corvettes for 10 years prior to the trade and I do miss sitting on the ground.

Austria
Reminds me of my last tour of duty in Italy – 1986 to 1989 in Naples (Capodichino Airport). I knew I was going back so I ordered a new 1986 Camaro Z28/IROC with the 5.7L vette motor. I shipped it to Naples in June 1986 and just destroyed any and all challengers. Where were you stationed??? Aviano???

Tom
Old 11-18-2007, 06:34 PM
mwct
Melting Slicks

Dodge Charger SRT-8
Old 11-18-2007, 06:45 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default why

Originally Posted by duelly777
Looking for opinion. I have an '05 C6 coupe mn6, 2lt. I love it and aside from needing to get 3 tops replaced it has been great! The only other problem that I have with my C6 is that if my kids and wife are going somewhere together we can't take the C6!!!!!!! Or we take 2 vehicles (which we've done several times). The CTS-V has appealed to me because it is a nice American car which has the LS-2 ('06 and up) Tremec 6sp and 4 doors! Its fairly quick and pretty nice to drive. A local dealer is willing to trade a '06 V with 12K miles for my C6 with 15K miles-even. This is NO C6 but it is a pretty kewl car. What do you think?!!
3 top replacement? very ususual
Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 PM
04BlackCoupe
Advanced

I traded my 04 C5 for an 05 CTS V for the exact same reason you describe. I still have the car with 36000 miles on it and it is great. My son who is a 20 year old professional race car driver who also instructs for Skip Barber and Bertil Roos is now driving it since I bought a new C6.If you need an all around car with performance similar to a corvette, you can't beat a CTS V. I know everyone on here talks about waiting for the new V with 600 bhp or a MB or M5 but I think you will find that they will all be between $15 to $20K more than a current V. The new CTS is between $45 to $50K so I expect the new V to be around $60 to $65K. Having said all that, for the money it would be hard to beat one of the current V's. We are currently looking at trading my wifes BMW for a new CTS, it is substantially cheaper than a 5 series and much nicer in my opinion.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:45 PM
mikesul
Drifting

Was at the Miami Auto show last week and saw the C63AMG. Read road test against M3, Audi RS4 and it came in second. Was the fastest in all phases though. Price starts fully loaded at 64K, not bad!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 or CTS-V

Old 11-18-2007, 10:25 PM
PeteTheGreek
Racer

I have two boys ages 7 and 9. I had a C5 for three years but never drove it because I couldn't take the wife and kids with me. Every time I drove it I drove it alone. I ended up selling it because I wanted a performance car I could drive with the family. I looked at the CTS-V, a GTO, Charger and even a Mustang. I ended up getting a C6 and the kids now take turns riding in it. Look at it this way, you get one on one time with your wife or one of the kids. Keep the car.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Im with eveyone else here who has actually owned or owns a V - Had my 05 for two years after 5 of driving Vettes , there is NO substitute !!!
I counted down the days untill my lease ended so I could get back behind the wheel of a Vette .
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd keep the Vette and go look at either a Tahoe SS or TrailBlazer SS (V-8 available to feed your need for speed) or a stock CTS with the new direct-inject engine. It's "only" 300 hp, but the sticker might be low enough to make keeping the Vette a real option. I agree with previous posts that the pre-08 CTS looks good, but the inside looks borderline Pontiac. The newer models are much more impressive, with the wider stance and Cadillac-quality interior.

Quick Reply: C6 or CTS-V