C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who owns a "stripped" C6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:13 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's true that with only one engine in all C6s ( except the Z06 ) all the extra money gets you no extra hp. The Z51crowd will huff and puff about how the manual trans gearing makes their cars a lot faster. However, the performance numbers don't say support that. A little bit maybe.

I agree that 3LT is way overpriced and that's where lots of the recent price decreases are coming from. As for HUD being necessary to carve canyons in the Pacific Northwest. I disagree. IMO a good driver knows his gear and engine speed from sound and feel of the car. I think the HUD is a techno toy. That's just my opinion also if you like it then more power to you.

I think 2 LT is a good way to go. Z51 is an inexpensive option and good for resale so I'd suggest considering it but not because it will make your car lots faster. It cannot IMO. Keyword: lots.

A 1LT C6 is a very fast very nice performance car and great value for the money. A 3LT at msrp is the same but not as good a value IMO.

All C6s are great period.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Kerry G
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

According to my owners manual the heated outside mirrors are standard. I have a LMB 1LT with just A6 and Transparent top. The only options I really would want other than those are the side air bags and HUD. Dont need heated seats in the south and with the heat from the console area i think they heat up enough.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:32 AM
oljim49
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is #728 delivered on 7/27/06. Base LT1 with Comp. Gray rims. Paid $40,200 for it (GMID less $1K for GM card credit) and enjoy the hell out of it. Had an `05 that I bought the same way and drove it for 2 years and after 9k miles, sold it for $39600 (so much for not being worth anything on resale).......personally, I think it is a hell of a lot of car the money and having had HUD on an `04 Z, I thought it was not worth the $. I have added Magnaflow mufflers/tips and ZO6 sway bars and drive it every day. If the Zs keep coming down in price, and I can find one with the 1LZ package, I will be buying!!
Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Gambok
Instructor

This is what my LT1 came with and to me it's pretty loaded as far as base models are concerned IMHO. Pretty much anything else you could want can be added on later including some Z51 stuff. Even for around$2000 HUD can be added.
Sure all the bells and whistles would have been nice but for $33K with
7k miles the LT1 is great!

BUCKET SEATS WITH LEATHER TRIMMED SEATING SURFACES
REMOVABLE ROOF PANEL AIR CONDITIONING-ELECTRONIC DUAL ZONE
HEATED OUTSIDE REARVIEW MIRRORS SUSPENSION SYSTEM-SOFT RIDE REAR AXLE 3.42 RATIO CONTROL MANUAL TRANS, 1ST TO 4TH GEAR SKIP SHIFT 4-WHEEL DISC ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
110 AMP GENERATOR 6.0 LITER SFI V8 - 400 HP MN6 - 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL
5-SPOKE ALUMINUM WHEEL LOW TIRE PRESS. INDICATOR
ANTENNA DIVERSITY AM/FM CD/MP3 RDS RADIO
ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION SPEAKER SYSTEM 7, CUSTOM
Old 04-01-2007, 12:30 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambok
for me the choice was easy as I saw the car and loved it and the price was right but HUD, would have been nice.

05 C6 LT1
Actually, in 2005 it was 1SX.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:34 PM
clos1084
Advanced

Im planning on getting a stripped C6. simply because Im going to be doing everything AM. I dont see a point in paying for stuff that I will rip out
Old 04-01-2007, 02:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Mikesan
This is sort of a tongue in cheek question, but who owns a "stripped" C6? I see many here refer to the 1LT Vettes as "stripped". Not sure what's stripped about power and leather seats, air conditioning, power mirrors and windows, push button starting, a removable roof, and 400 HP.

Nav, OnStar, chrome wheels, two tops, heated mirrors, extra embroidery, HUD, selectable suspensions are all nice, but none make the car faster. I can see paying an extra $15K for a better motor, but not for this stuff.

Who here's proud to own a lower priced C6? My first Vette will either be a "stripped" ordered 08 or a discounted 07. Besides a few minor cosmetic goodies, will probably add an intake and Flowmaster Axle-back exhaust. That's plenty for me. I want to focus on the road and the rumble out of the back of the car.
Make sure you get the 2LT package. A 1LT does not have the side impact air bags, perforated seating surfaces, luggage compartment security cover or, the small item cargo net.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I couldn't go with the base model...

I actually prefer not having all of the extra stuff on the car too. Too many things for GM subcontractors to get wrong. Although I would have added HUD without a second's hesitation if it were offerred as an option.

But I did have to go with the 2LT. The fact that GM doesn't put side curtain airbags standard in a low, narrow (from seat proximity to door), light car, just seems like 1 cost cut too many. If it were just me, I may not worry about it so much (although the upgraded seats in the 2LT are nice), but since my wife will be in the car most of the time it's driven, that was one area I wouldn't cut corners.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:46 PM
oljim49
Racer

Originally Posted by 4 MY EGO
Make sure you get the 2LT package. A 1LT does not have the side impact air bags, perforated seating surfaces, luggage compartment security cover or, the small item cargo net.
There are studies that have questioned the additional safety afforded by the side impact bags (on all vehicles) versus a similar crash without them; I prefer the standard seating surface to the perforated covers; my dealer gave me the rear compartment cover and the net (see them on Ebay quite often for around $50). The point is (at least for me) there is nothing in the 2LT package that is worth the $1500......to each his own.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:17 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oljim49
There are studies that have questioned the additional safety afforded by the side impact bags (on all vehicles) versus a similar crash without them; I prefer the standard seating surface to the perforated covers; my dealer gave me the rear compartment cover and the net (see them on Ebay quite often for around $50). The point is (at least for me) there is nothing in the 2LT package that is worth the $1500......to each his own.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikesan
My first Vette will either be a "stripped" ordered 08 or a discounted 07. Besides a few minor cosmetic goodies, will probably add an intake and Flowmaster Axle-back exhaust. That's plenty for me. I want to focus on the road and the rumble out of the back of the car.
i forgot to mention that if you are into performance, then the only option you should get is the Z51 performance package, not for the better suspension, nor the more coolers, but for more aggressive gear ratios even though its still a 3.42 rear.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Pintobay
Racer

I have a 1LT, MN6 with the Z51 package and I couldn't be happier. Paid about $42,500 at end of year (last July) at Kerbecks. Added MagnaFlow exhaust system at 600 miles. I bought the car to enjoy the driving experience and that's just what I am doing- every chance I get.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a base car with no options and I'm happy with the car. I'm not happy with GM because I would have got heated seats and a telescoping wheel if I could have purchased them as stand-alone options. But if GM won't sell it to me that way I'll go with the stripper.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM
entwood
Pro

I got the base coupe and I am very happy. Does having a A6 and a paint up charge still count? I think of it as a base coupe.
I just call it my blue chevy.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:54 PM
kgelliott
Drifting

I have an '06, A6, 1lt totally as base as you get. I certainly didn't feel like I needed any more stuff than necessary. I needed
a) fewer distractions
b) fewer things to learn to operate
c) fewer things to not work right after a few miles
d) NOT to have to wear my reading glasses to mess with a and b
e) to pay less, not more
f) not to pay for packaages that didn't include what I wanted

Having said all that, I have yet to show my car to anyone who isn't impressed and doesn't think it's pretty loaded, as is. I definitely don't feel as though I am driving a cheap version of anything! I could never imagine wanting nor needing heated seats, HUD, or navigation. Compared to my first Vette ('72 LT1 in '76), this one IS totally loaded!!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,511 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

They don't sell a base model in Canada - you have to get one with a lot of the bells and whistles mentioned by folks here, for e.g., telescopic wheel, HUD, heated seats/outside mirrors and the list goes on...
Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
huillery
Intermediate

l have one but it sure goes with my supercharger haha

Get notified of new replies

To Who owns a "stripped" C6?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Bad Kitty
Racer

Heated Seats Rock Dude!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:20 PM
kgelliott
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
They don't sell a base model in Canada - you have to get one with a lot of the bells and whistles mentioned by folks here, for e.g., telescopic wheel, HUD, heated seats/outside mirrors and the list goes on...
I wonder why? Also, do many Canadians come across the border to buy, or is that a whole other issue?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Mikesan
Pro

Originally Posted by heisnuts

I think if I just wanted the 400HP, Power windows/locks, leather interior, and a choice between manual or automatic transmission, I would be looking at the Pontiac GTO with all of the above for a lot less money than the C6.

Had an 04 and an 05 GTO. Loved both, but like the styling, handling, and lighter weight of the Vette more. Will miss the back seats and better quality leather the GTOs had, but I've wanted a Vette since I was a kid. The removable roof is a plus, too.

Quick Reply: Who owns a "stripped" C6?