C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual reality

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 PM
docpat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual reality

I own an automatic C5 and am very happy with it but someday hope to move into a C6. Someone I met recently said that because of the performance of the C6, there is not much manual trans shifting to do and that most shifts will be just the first two gears in typical driving scenarios. What is your experience? Driving consists of half local streets and half highway miles, no show off performance driving. I don't want to waste a salesman's time to test drive one at a dealership yet, so I thought I would ask those who own manuals their opinions in the meantime.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

IMO nonsense! I generally don't lug around in any gear...I tend to run at moderately high RPMs. Rest assured I go-through all the gears as needed and I routinely use 1st - 4th gear (with 3rd gear used quite-a-bit during in-town driving). For me, 5th and 6th gear are exclusively overdrive gears for freeway or long-haul driving.

IMO the manual 6-speed is what 'sport driving' is all about....IMO it provides the most 'feel' and 'connection' between the driver, the car, the road and the entire driving experience. Upshifting...double-clutching...downshifting....through all the gears (well mostly 1st-4th).
Old 03-30-2007, 11:49 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about that, but I will tell you I shift through all the gears. In downtown driving mostly 2nd and 3rd gear depending on the speed limit. 3rd gear in city driving seems to be the sweet spot. Once I disabled the skip shift (CAGS) downtown driving isn't a hassle. 4th gear is good for cruising on backroads, etc. But spirited driving this car will easily do 60mph in 2nd gear too.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I drive more sedately, and use 4th and 5th alot in town. I'm in 6th gear as low as 45 mph.
But I'm relaxed, usually not in any hurry, and just not into winding it up like a spring, in case a ricer pulls up.

2nd gear is good up to 70+mph, and 3rd 100+mph. So maybe that's why you've been told about not needing to shift much. But those speeds in those gears are more like racing than typical driving.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Because the C6 has such a strong wide torque band, you don't "need" to shift as often as a car with a weaker smaller torque band, GENERALLY speaking. You can skip gears too if you wanted.

HOWEVER, the reality is that you will be shifting it just about as much as you'd shift any other manual car. Either you are willing to shift or not. Don't buy a manual C6 thinking that you will not need to shift it much. Be willing to shift a lot, or get an auto and don't shift at all (aside from clutchless paddle shifting ).

I think it is best that you get your hands on a manual tranny car... any manual tranny car... and drive it around for at least a whole day if not more. Perhaps a friend has one and would let you drive it. You need to determine whether or not a manual is something you'd really want... if it IS, buy a manual, if it ISN'T, don't buy a manual. It's that simple. There is no inbetween.

The fact that you are even asking this would make me think that you should probably just stick with automatics... especially since you said you were happy with your last auto. A manual, especially for someone not used to driving one on a regular basis, can potentially be a headache. You need to be able to really use and appreciate what a manual affords you, otherwise it's unnecessary.

So what does a manual afford you? Full control over the car and super crisp instant throttle response whenever you want it. All autos tend to have a "mush" factor, plus the programmed shift points can be annoying... and even paddle shifting, based on some reviews I've read here, will give you slightly "delayed" shifts, it'll never be as crisp and instant as a true manual shift. Having said that, take a manual car out in heavy traffic, especially on an incline, and you'll want to sell that manual the next day. What are your priorities?

If you were happy with the overall performance of your auto C5 in the conditions / style you normally drive in, then an auto still might be the best thing for you.

Consider this carefully before you buy your next Vette. Remember, you gotta live with it everyday. Don't think that you can get a manual and then not have to shift it much... it just doesn't work that way. Shift, or don't shift.

Best of luck
Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have a manual in my daily driver C6 and use all of the gears every day. I like to row through them. 4th is my cruising gear on city streets, and 6th above 60mph on the highway. However, under heavy accelleration, you can hit every speed limit in 2nd, even on the highway.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Bad Kitty
Racer

This is a good thread

Its interesting to here how people shift and perceive normal speed in a particular gear

I would agree that if you are concerned about the amount of shifts you will make in your daily driving, dont even consider a MN6

I have not had a manual tranny in almost 20 years before buying my vette. It is however,just like riding a bike - you never forget.

Driving an auto vs a manual is almost like the difference between playing in a football game or any other contest where you are intimately involved in the process and sitting on a couch watching.

I dont know for sure how many shifts I make. I listen to the motor and put the car into the gear it needs to be in in my opinion based on motor sound and feel rather than speed

Just my .02
Old 03-31-2007, 08:24 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

well,it seems 1st gear in my 05 z51 runs out at about 12mph,I'm going thru gears in town or out of town.Of course,I also like to get the vette a little sideways,so I punch the gears a little! Get a c6,you'll love it!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

I try to stay in 3rd for slow driving, and shortshift to 3rd when CAGS wants to put me in 4th. With the torque it is no problem at all. I rarely use 6th unless I'm on the interstate doing a constant 70-75. But the fun of the manual is to use it. I go thru all the gears, 1-5, in 90% of the scenarios, and downshift then punch it in 3rd when passing at 45-60 or so. 2nd is my favorite gear. Wind out is fantastic and it's good for ~70 in the Z51. The sound from the Bullets going thru the gears is why I bought the car--and them.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:04 AM
JF244
Instructor

I drive my '05 MN6 daily and I use 'em all. In routine driving at 40-45 mph I'm pretty much in fourth. My commute to work is 26 miles and when it is bumper to bumper it is 1-2-1-2, etc. Once I hit clear interstate it's through 1-4 up the long ramp and then I skip 5th and shift from 4th to 6th and cruise at 70 mph when possible.

I agree that the MN6 is what sports car driving is all about and can be a lot of fun. Last summer I drove it on the NCRS road tour to San Antonio (at age 55 it's more comfortable than my 67) and it was a hoot shifting through the switchbacks on some of the backroads we took through the Ozarks. I like being able to rap through the gears when the spirit moves me but, I also like to be able to get 31 mpg with the cruise set at 75 in 6th. My overall average in town mpg, according to the DIC computer is around 19 on each tank of gas.

Until I have that knee replacement operation in couple of years, I'm staying with the manual.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:06 AM
G-BOAC
Instructor

Default Manual!

<<IMO the manual 6-speed is what 'sport driving' is all about....IMO it provides the most 'feel' and 'connection' between the driver, the car, the road and the entire driving experience. Upshifting...double-clutching...downshifting....through all the gears (well mostly 1st-4th

I wholeheartedly agree with Wayne. Speaking as someone whose family owns an automatic C5, and who personally owns a manual C6 Z51, driving a manual transmission connects you better to a true "sport" driving experience. I've also felt better throttle response, performance, and control using a manual.

I owned a manual 04 GTO prior to my C6; my sister owns an 06 GTO automatic, and I found that I had much more control in my manual. As much as I like GTOs, in her auto, I just don't have as much fun and don't handle well, because all the throttle really does for me is squeal the tires. And full throttle in three of the auto grears really doesn't get power to the ground, it simply spins the tires. No such issues with my manual.

As for anxiety about taking the plunge to a manual -- my 04 GTO was my first manual, and I absolutely loved it. No regrets. Not even in traffic. Honestly, having a manual in traffic gave me something to do!! The only rare occasions when I was thinking an auto would have been useful was when I wanted to eat while driving while talking on the cell phone -- which I DID NOT do, because you shouldn't be driving while doing that anyway!!!!! so really, no issues!

My recommendation is to get a manual, and experience C6 fully!!

best of luck!
Mark

ps - my feelings on this are intended in no way to take away from those who enjoy their automatic Corvettes! A Vette is a great car in any powertrain configuration; I'm simply trying to offer how I enjoy my Corvette experience!
Old 03-31-2007, 11:13 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I use 1st through 4th around town and 5th & 6th on the freeway. I love every shift and have for many years. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:21 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Driving a high performance sports car with an auto is like kissing your sister. I'm 58, over weight, and outta shape (unless you consider round as a shape). I love my MN6 Z-51 and would not have it any other way.

Easy shift points in traffic:

2nd 5-6mph
3rd as low as 15
4th as low as 25
I shift to 5th at 45
6th 60 & over

Remember the Z-51 gearing is lower than all others in 1st to 3rd
Old 03-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I drive more sedately, and use 4th and 5th alot in town. I'm in 6th gear as low as 45 mph.
But I'm relaxed, usually not in any hurry, and just not into winding it up like a spring, in case a ricer pulls up.

2nd gear is good up to 70+mph, and 3rd 100+mph. So maybe that's why you've been told about not needing to shift much. But those speeds in those gears are more like racing than typical driving.
...my style as well!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:46 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

It's very simple! You buy a manual because you "LIKE" grabbing gears! If you're happy with the auto, stay with the auto. I really enjoy shifting my vette and matching gears with speeds, etc. Would I like the manual being stuck in traffic and it's my DD.... probably not!
Old 04-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Zip Fox
Heel & Toe

Default Manual vs Automatic Transmission

Nice post and very well said...

Now for my two cents worth. I own a 2003 ZO6 and a 2006 Mazda MX5...both of which are 6 speed manuals. If both of these vehicles had automatic transmissions they would be absolutely worthless to me. For me, the fun of driving these cars is the shifting of the gears. I would not own a "sports car" unless it had a manual transmission. Driving these cars with my left hand on the steering wheel and the right hand on the shift ****...well, this is what driving is all about. Nevertheless, it is all a matter of personal preference. Perhaps some people prefer a automatic transmission because either they had a manual and got tired of shifting, have never driven a manual because they feel intimidated by doing so or perhaps it just does not appeal to them? To each unto his own. IMHO, those who have never driven a car with a manual transmission are missing out on a lot of fun. All I can say is try it and see if you like it. It is all a matter of personal preference.

For me, I generally drive on surface streets with gears 1 - 4. If the speed limit is 50 mph and I feel like being cheap on gas, I will shift to 5th gear; in any event, if I feel a loss of torque, I will downshift. I like taking a freeway onramp in 3rd gear until I reach the speed limit and then go to 4, 5 and then cruise on 6. What is fun about a manual, for me anyway, is that there are so much options; somedays I feel like a drag strip racer where I can torque out the car from a dead stop to, for example, a 40 mph speed limit; and then there are days I just feel like taking a "Sunday drive" and just taking it easy on rpm and torque. Both of my cars are fast but speed does not do anything for me; it is the shifting and feeling the torque of acceleration where I get the thrill of driving a manual transmission. (No doubt some get the same thrill driving an automatic.) Everyone has an opinion. It is all well and good to post messages and get feedback...just like reading car reviews...but at the end of the day after all of the reading and writing...THERE IS NOTHING LIKE TEST DRIVING A CAR...and then drawing from one's own opinion! Thhh...thhh...that's all folks!

Happy Driving,

Zip Fox
Old 04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
jjohn918
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zip Fox
Nice post and very well said...

Now for my two cents worth. I own a 2003 ZO6 and a 2006 Mazda MX5...both of which are 6 speed manuals. If both of these vehicles had automatic transmissions they would be absolutely worthless to me. For me, the fun of driving these cars is the shifting of the gears. I would not own a "sports car" unless it had a manual transmission. Driving these cars with my left hand on the steering wheel and the right hand on the shift ****...well, this is what driving is all about. Nevertheless, it is all a matter of personal preference. Perhaps some people prefer a automatic transmission because either they had a manual and got tired of shifting, have never driven a manual because they feel intimidated by doing so or perhaps it just does not appeal to them? To each unto his own. IMHO, those who have never driven a car with a manual transmission are missing out on a lot of fun. All I can say is try it and see if you like it. It is all a matter of personal preference.

For me, I generally drive on surface streets with gears 1 - 4. If the speed limit is 50 mph and I feel like being cheap on gas, I will shift to 5th gear; in any event, if I feel a loss of torque, I will downshift. I like taking a freeway onramp in 3rd gear until I reach the speed limit and then go to 4, 5 and then cruise on 6. What is fun about a manual, for me anyway, is that there are so much options; somedays I feel like a drag strip racer where I can torque out the car from a dead stop to, for example, a 40 mph speed limit; and then there are days I just feel like taking a "Sunday drive" and just taking it easy on rpm and torque. Both of my cars are fast but speed does not do anything for me; it is the shifting and feeling the torque of acceleration where I get the thrill of driving a manual transmission. (No doubt some get the same thrill driving an automatic.) Everyone has an opinion. It is all well and good to post messages and get feedback...just like reading car reviews...but at the end of the day after all of the reading and writing...THERE IS NOTHING LIKE TEST DRIVING A CAR...and then drawing from one's own opinion! Thhh...thhh...that's all folks!

Happy Driving,

Zip Fox
Well said. I love my MN6 too. I usually will do a 1-3-4 in flowing city traffic. 5th and 6th are used on the highway. I also am running Long Tubes, CAI and B&B's, so I'll use the gears to keep me out of the drone zone.

Get notified of new replies

To manual reality

Old 04-01-2007, 04:52 PM
thetopdog
Pro

If you really want you can get away with only using 2nd and 4th, you can start off in 2nd if you rev it up a little, and 4th can take you anywhere from 15mph to something like 130mph. Not that I'm recommending it, but it can be done
Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM
usctroj836
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 07 6 sp C6 and it is 1->4 90% of the time. 5th once in a while and 6 rarely. 1-4 non freeway driving. 5th freeway driving and 6 freeway driving with very little traffic. 4th is fun. Any where from 60->90 real quick.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:01 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default MN6 is for manual drivers

See, different drivers of the MN6 drive it differently, but the C6 delivers for all of them. Let me repeat the best advice, don't buy the MN6 unless you really want the MN6. Then you can not live without it. You know who you are .

Quick Reply: manual reality