C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Tire Issue....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Kerry64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a set of the Firestone runflats from TireRack today. I have always had traction problems in my 05 Z51 in cold weather, just the nature of the beast. I noticed if the temp was below 40 they would just not get any grip, so I just try to be very gentle on acceleration. I don't know if the Firestones will be any better. They are new for the C6 and I don't know anyone who has tried them. They have been around for the C5, but they just came out for the C6 last month. The original Goodyears only lasted 18K miles, so I figured I would give the Firestones a try. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:04 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

There isn't a C6 sized tire made that can handle the 400HP/TQ these cars make if over driven. The key is to know the limits, in cold temps the limits drop big time. Ease off the throttle and you'll be fine. I've driven in temps below ZERO in my 03 Z06 and survived.

Being born and raised in Wisconsin I grew up with heavy rear drive V8 cars and drove all year. Reducing speed is the answer.

Tom
Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 PM
shortski
Drifting

The z51 supercar runflats are definitely dangerous at low temps. I notice this both early spring and late fall. Once the temps get below 40 go light on the go pedal. When these tires are done I'm switching to an all season non runflat. I don't track or drag my car and with the all season tires I think I can extend my driving season by more than a month. Just my .$02.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Wingrider
Burning Brakes

I have a non Z51 2006 A6 with standard GY runflats. I have driven this winter at temps of 5 degrees above zero, and really had no traction problems. That said, I was always very mindful of keeping a light foot on the go pedal.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
babaganoosh
Instructor

Default Crazy florida

Originally Posted by glennhl
Does suck, but the first time I did it I thought how much it would have hurt without the helmet. Did you get a knot on your head? I don't think it would be fun.

I've always wondered why more people don't wear helmets on the street. Head injuries are not fun.
In florida people on bikes dont even wear helmets. Nuts!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:42 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I use the Avon tires. I think they were either 800 or 900 shipped from tire rack when I got them 4 months ago. While the rears still break loose under accleration, they are a far superior tire to the supercars. They don't scrub when pulling out of my garage at slow speeds with the wheel fully cranked, like the goodyears did, they are quieter, they should last a lot longer, and they have much better grip, even in warm weather on twisty mountain roads with spirited driving.

If you can live without the runflat technology, I highly recommend them.

For track use, I run Falken FK-451s and they too are a great tire at a great price. I only use them for track only because I had a small issue with a pressure sensor on my iforged wheels and had to mount them on the stockers to drive the car for a bit. (bought them as backups from a forum member, new for $450!)
Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,056 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Radical05
Get yourself some Firestone Runflats that just came out and say goodbye to runcraps.
I had the Firestones on our C5, they were great tires in summer but hopeless in winter. When temperatures got down around 0'F, perfectly dry roads were like driving on ice. I couldn't accelerate normally from a stop sign without Traction Control kicking in, stopping distances were 3-4 times longer than normal. Actually, driving on ice would have been better. Also couldn't get up the very slight slope in our driveway with 1" of snow on the asphalt. I used the GY Winter M+S runflats for most winter driving, great in snow and cold but not so good when things were warm & dry.
For the C6 I've got the GY All-Season runflats, same tread pattern as the "base" C6 tires but different rubber compound for cold weather. I've driven them at -10'F, still worked pretty well. Can get up the same driveway with 2" of snow.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 03-07-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Our C6 Z51 needs to be driven with care- the first time both me and my wife drove it at 40 degrees or less the rear end broke loose.

It is not what I would consider dangerous, but you can't drive aggressively when it's below 40 degrees.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 PM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in central Texas and don't have too many sub-40 degree days but I havent had tire problems on those days. This is a very torquey car with some high performance tires. I would be surprised if that didnt cause issues in the cold. I got my car to be a DD but I dont expect a world class sports car with an agressive handling package to be perfect in all weather conditions. Best of luck getting a resolution to your problem, but beware of your expectations vs. the reality of driving a car like this in near-freezing temps.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Eagle F1 Supercar EMT is Goodyear’s self-supporting, run-flat Max Performance Summer radial developed as Original Equipment for sports cars, (C-6 Corvette equipped with Chevrolet's Z51 Performance Package and C-6 Corvette Z06), and performance sedans (Cadillac CTS-V). Eagle F1 Supercar EMT tires emphasize dry road traction and handling, and feature Goodyear’s self-supporting Extended Mobility Technology (EMT) to provide temporary mobility even after a complete loss of air pressure while eliminating the traditional spare tire and wheel to allow more storage and luggage space. Like all summer tires, they are not intended to be driven in sn
Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
portmgr198
Burning Brakes

I didnt realize how much talk this thread would generate, but all of you have helped me confirm my problem. For a while I thought it was only my Vette. Even though I have attended performance driving schools, that taught me how to handle these kinds of traction issues, it's no fun in real life traffic at 55-65 MPH...Wearing a helmet or a HANS device just isnt practical in daily driving!!!

I believe the solution for all of us that live in colder climates is to use the correct balance of throttle for the outside temps while keeping in mind how cold the tires may be!! Easy, yea right....
Old 03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
I've always wondered why more people don't wear helmets on the street. Head injuries are not fun.
Years ago, I went for a street drive wearing my helmet. I was surprised at what a distraction it was for all the drivers around me. Cars would pull alongside and slow down, drivers would wander out of their lanes while staring at me, lots of yahoos (even minivans and delivery trucks) would try to race. I couldn't believe it.

After that, I'm not convinced a helmet isn't a net minus in terms of safety on the street.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I wonder if anyone has ordered a Z51 and for a grand more ordered a set of the Goodyear EMT that come with the Standard or F55 option. I have a Base Car and drove down to Kerbeck on Tuesday 17degrees no problems at all.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
da-googoo-man
Racer

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Not to be offensive but I'm going to call DRIVER ERROR and I agree with the Goodyear Rep. Cracks me up people buy performance cars and may have an issue in adverse conditions and always cry foul. We all want 11-12 sec cars that ride smooth,handle great,want 30+MPG,go in rain and snow,have CD palyers,NAV,AC blah, blah ,blah and this is what happens when you give YUPPIES and not enthusiasts performance cars ( I could be a yuppie i guess im have a 04 CZ and an 05 C6). Just like over in the diesel forums we all want huge trucks 300+ HP and 600+ lb ft of torque,4 dorrs,4x4, more equipment that what was on a Cadillac 10 yrs ago, pull 20,000 lbs, no pollution to speak of and bitch when it gets 12-13 MPG....see it all the time. When it gets cold drive another vehicle.
what he said
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
jdhvette
Advanced

Stinks, but I think when it is 10, 20 30 degrees, our cars are better enjoyed from the warm comforts of the garage. I have a nice 5 gallon bucket with a board I sit on, and just look at the car, and go boy, can't wait for it to get warm. Same goes with my golf game!!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Kerry64
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdhvette
Stinks, but I think when it is 10, 20 30 degrees, our cars are better enjoyed from the warm comforts of the garage. I have a nice 5 gallon bucket with a board I sit on, and just look at the car, and go boy, can't wait for it to get warm. Same goes with my golf game!!
I do pretty much the same. I go to the garage and shine the chrome on the 64 and have a good cigar. But I am lucky on the golf issue. I work at a golf course so I still get out and play or hit ***** on the mild days and we have a indoor net I can still use all winter. Two Vettes in the garage and a golf course job, boy life is tough.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Scooterjohn
Advanced

Originally Posted by shopdog
Re-read mine and notice what I said about my old F350 dualie. If that huge old hulk will get sideways when I crowd it from a dead stop, it shouldn't be a surprise that the Corvette will too.
Whoa...the man said he was taking it easy..."I really do understand the TQ issue. That's why I tried to go slowly from start and into the turn. Didnt matter, the tires didnt grab.".

That's hardly the same as "crowding it from a dead stop", as you put it.

Like someone else here said "it won't move from a stop if you don't accelerate"...you gotta push the pedal.

Quick Reply: C6 Tire Issue....