C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a GM reacquired vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:06 AM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Never!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:15 AM
RareSS9596
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You first have to find out why it was a buy back to start with. In 2005 I went to a local Chevy dealer to buy the new c6. I brought my then 17 year old son with me. While I was talking to the salesman I noticed my son looking at an '04 Avalanche. I asked him if he wanted it and I bought it for him instead of the Vette. Day after I pick it up it rains and the carpet is flooded, I mean soaked. To make a long story short it spent 90% of the 3 months I had it at the dealer. They couldn't repair it. Repeated calls to GM did nothing. Once I contacted the BBB I got a call from GM to stop the Lemon Law suit and they would buy it back. That way it didn't get a branded title. They then resold it to someone at auction. I had the vehicle registered with MYGM.com so I am still getting the vehicle service history. To this day they are still trying to fix the water leak. Some vehicles just can't be fixed.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:50 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by tntdominic
Guys,
Probably wont change any minds, but here was my situation. 3 gripes on the car: Noisy Roof . . . Replaced. Noise in rear-end . . . replaced. Faulty steering column . . . replaced. Turns out the guy has too much car, with too little money to pay for it with, he mediates then buys a car he can afford from the same dealer. I save around $9K!!! All warranties intact. Runs/Drives like a dream. Extended warranty available thru mile 34999. From what I see on this forum, you guys are about the smartest out there. If you do the proper research and still come up aces, why would anyone pass on a deal like that?
Great looking El Camino
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Deep Blue
Racer

Originally Posted by tntdominic
Guys,
Probably wont change any minds, but here was my situation. 3 gripes on the car: Noisy Roof . . . Replaced. Noise in rear-end . . . replaced. Faulty steering column . . . replaced. Turns out the guy has too much car, with too little money to pay for it with, he mediates then buys a car he can afford from the same dealer. I save around $9K!!! All warranties intact. Runs/Drives like a dream. Extended warranty available thru mile 34999. From what I see on this forum, you guys are about the smartest out there. If you do the proper research and still come up aces, why would anyone pass on a deal like that?
Well you hit the nail on the head-you were able to determine why the vehicle was bought back. But some of the others make a very valid point in that certain problems-leaks for example can be notoriously hard to repair and it gets to a point where to many people (and manufacturers as well) it's better to cut your losses. A vehicle that is always in the shop can impact other areas of your life as well and this must be taken into consideration.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:05 AM
busysignal
Racer

To be on the safe side, go to the dealer and get the "reflash" done Subject: "Battery drain check list for 2005-2006 Corvettes" #PIC4188
Old 02-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

"Would you buy a GM reacquired vehicle?

Assuming the car was repurchased due to unresolved mechanical problems....definitely not. The lure of purchasing a Corvette at a steeply discounted price is enticing....everyone likes to think they're saving money and getting a 'good' deal. The reacquired car may turn out to be a good deal, it's just not something I want to take a chance on.

Time and aggravation have value for me. Everyone knows 'cars are cars' and problems will happen. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason....one car off the assembly line will be virtually trouble-free while the next car might be constantly plagued by mechanical troubles.

GM or any manufacturer certainly does not want to repurchase any vehicle....this is not something they do lightly or willingly. GM possesses some of the best mechanical engineers in the world....certainly the most well-qualified to troubleshoot problems on a Corvette. This car represents repeated failures by the best GM engineers and mechanics to cure a problem.

I am not the greatest mechanic in the world nor do I possess the many specialized tools and sophisticated diagnostic equipment often required to trouble-shoot and fix today's complex electrical and computerized cars (today's cars are far different than what I used to mess-around with back in High School). Even if I had all the necessary tools and equipment, I would not think that I am more qualified than the experts at GM to trouble-shoot and cure a problem....especially a problem that GM has repeatedly been unable to fix.

Again, time and aggravation have value to me. Like Clint says...."Are you feeling lucky today punk."
Old 02-24-2007, 01:00 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Quick Reply: Would you buy a GM reacquired vehicle?