C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 2007 Owner Burned

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another 2007 Owner Burned

by the change in oil filter design for 2007. Had my 2007 C6 all ready to button back up when I struggled to get the AC Delco PF46 to bite on the threads. I then realized that I pulled off an AC Delco PF48, and came in to do a search on this forum. I have to drive it tomorrow, so I hit Autozone just before they closed and picked up the only filter they had for it: a friggin' FRAM!!! Model # PH10060. Fortunate for me, they just got that model in -- guess it's a new arrival for the redesign.

I guess I'll have to order some highly recommended filters online and have them stocked up for the future -- and to swap out the Fram ASAP.

Does anyone have suggestions on a highly-rated filter? Did the AC Delco PF48 fare well in reviews? Is there a Mobil-1 filter for the '07 C6? I don't mind paying a little extra (like double the AC Delco price) for a higher flowing / better filtering unit.

Thanks in advance
Dan
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There's nothing wrong with the Fram. That's all I've ever used and never a problem. I've been changing my own oil for almost 40 years now every 3000 to 4000 miles and used Fram with no problems.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:07 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1
There's nothing wrong with the Fram. That's all I've ever used and never a problem. I've been changing my own oil for almost 40 years now every 3000 to 4000 miles and used Fram with no problems.

There is nothing wrong with Fram, it was considered the filter decades ago. I wouldn't hesitatate to use one today.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:32 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

This is a pretty good article on oil filters.....

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html
Old 02-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The PC copy of the 2007 owner's manual I have says it takes a PF48 filter.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
There is nothing wrong with Fram, it was considered the filter decades ago. I wouldn't hesitatate to use one today.

I used them on my other car for 120K+ miles until I sold it.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Damn!! I thought there was a problem with 2007 vettes burning up when I read the tittle of this thread... must be the Bacardi as I am enjoying several days off.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:59 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

My Fram from Autozone works very good down here in Midlothian. May be the problem in Dallas is the mayor ?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 AM
07slvrbullet_z51
Instructor

There is a Mobil 1 oil filter for the 07 6.0L engine. The part number is
M1-113. K&N also makes one (partnumber HP1017). Both are very good oil filters (have synthetic filter media which traps more dirt but still allows a good flow rate so as not to starve the engine of oil especially at cold start ups). The bad news is that you will most likely have the special order either one thru your autoparts store (Advance Auto Parts, Murray Discount Autoparts, etc.). The AC Delco PF48 duraguard is pretty good also. I would stay away from the fram unless it is the ToughGuard version. Frams are notorious for poor flowrate, bad construction, and the causing engine lifter noise (they also have cheap bypass valves).
Some other good oil filters are:

-Wix (I think the partnumber is 57060 but I would verify this at there website)
-Baldwin (partnumber B160)

Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:26 AM
SimpsonH
Pro

Fram made a quality product many years ago (my first Porsche had a factory installed orange Fram canister filter in the engine compartment). Unfortunately, some people say only the name remains from the original company today.

The following is a sample of the information posted on the net concerning Fram oil filters and may explain why Fram is not always recommended today:

According to Russ W. Knize - Engine Oil Filter Study - "The Fram filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area, and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.

The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin, cheap looking backplate, and is currently stamped with a "2Y". There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.

Filters To Avoid

The following list of filters have known problems. You will see well-known names here and will probably be disappointed. This is because many of these brands have stopped making their own filters and buy from a common manufacturer.

Fram Extra Guard
Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system. The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard
Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure releif valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter."

Mark Lawrence- Motorcycle Oil Filter Comparison says: "Normal filter paper, and a decent amount of it. Cardboard end caps, Little prongy plastic bypass valve. Unconvincing anti-drainback valve. A study in how to make a filter on the cheap."

This is from the Oil Filter Study Including some Mercruiser, FL400s, and FL820s applications With Pore and Flow Measurements Fram Extra Guard PH5: "This filter appears to have average filtration media but flows less than average. Much of the low flow rating is due to the small surface area of the filter media. Both Frams (EG and TG) had a different design than all the others. Instead of metal ends to hold the filter material in place they had a paper or cardboard material. Since the leaf spring at the bottom of the filter cannot press against paper, both ends of the filter have holes. The leaf spring has a raised circular form to plug the hole at the bottom of the paper endcap. The black nitrile ADV has a long neck on it that inserts into the hole in the top endcap. The leaf spring holds everything in place and keeps things centered. This filter has the smallest filter area of all the PH1218 filter equivalents. The intake holes have the smallest combined area of all filters (both Frams are the same in this regard). This study was completed by BITOG."

Other examples of problems:

Motorcycle.com - The Daily News - "(April 14 1995) Due to several recent failures during races in the U.S., FRAM has announced a recall of several models of FRAM oil filters, and racing organizations have banned these filters. Several racers suffered serious injuries when their oil filters literally blew apart, causing them to crash. Allied-Signal, owners of Fram Filters, are issuing a recall on Fram motorcycle oil filters model PH6017 that were made in Korea and sold to dealers between January 1, 1995 and March 16, 1995. This filter has the threads cut wrong and could blow off resulting in rapid loss of oil, crashing, injury, terminal engine damage, etc. This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

This model is a spin on filter that fits many popular Honda, Kawasaki and Yamahas--no other brand. I do not have a complete listing of the models. Maybe some kind soul out there will look on the box and post the list. However, if your filter isn't a spin on, then it is not recalled. (But read on for information about other "reclaims.") The RECALL only applies to PH6017 filters that were sold to dealers between January 1, 1995 and March 16, 1995."

Last edited by SimpsonH; 02-22-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:12 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I won't use a Fram filter on any engine I care about. They're just very poor quality.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:58 AM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

The Fram will be fine until your next change.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
I won't use a Fram filter on any engine I care about. They're just very poor quality.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

I sure hope someone from Fram sees some of these comments. The smoke from the law suites will be seen for miles.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 AM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

I found the Mobile-1 filter in stock at the local store.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:36 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I was driving in to work this morning, and there were hundreds of cars stranded along side the road. I finally stopped and asked a bunch of them what was going on, and they all told me they had recently switched to Fram filters, and their engines died. In fact, Fram has been in business for as long as I can remember, and I've heard that is why there are so many new salvage yards popping up at every corner like convenience stores.

Hopefully you will be able to find a suitable replacment for the Fram so you don't have to drive too long with it. I've heard none of the auto companies honor warranty repairs if they find the dreaded Fram filter under the car.

By the way, if anyone wants to send me all the Fram filters you don't want to use, I can give you my address to send them to
Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 AM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The only issue with your oil filter is making sure you change it regularly. Do you think from would be as big as they are if they had bad filters??

Get notified of new replies

To Another 2007 Owner Burned

Old 02-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Z06 L GO
Pro

Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I was driving in to work this morning, and there were hundreds of cars stranded along side the road. I finally stopped and asked a bunch of them what was going on, and they all told me they had recently switched to Fram filters, and their engines died. In fact, Fram has been in business for as long as I can remember, and I've heard that is why there are so many new salvage yards popping up at every corner like convenience stores.

Hopefully you will be able to find a suitable replacment for the Fram so you don't have to drive too long with it. I've heard none of the auto companies honor warranty repairs if they find the dreaded Fram filter under the car.

By the way, if anyone wants to send me all the Fram filters you don't want to use, I can give you my address to send them to
Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
srpbaer
Pro

I built race cars for quite a few years...I would not put a Fram on my lawn mower....Go Wix, Amsoil (still a Wix and a few others but no Fram for me...No offense meant guys just my .02 worth

Quick Reply: Another 2007 Owner Burned