C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoodYear service=horrific!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:35 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GoodYear service=horrific!

My 06 had 3 holes in the same tire (rear pass) 2 nails and a large drill bit! No other tire has so far suffered. I didnt feel like waiting all day for GY to scratch my car and get greasy fingerprints all over it so I repaired it myself each time (each happened months apart) with a plug kit. (BTW the plug kits work awesome. Tire doesnt loose a psi, as if no holes ever existed) So I get my 4th hole (screw) in the same tire. My 1 year tire warrentee is going to expire in a week so I go to GY. The guy says he cant replace the tire for free because my plugs make the tire "altered"! I say OK then repair the holes the correct way with an interior patch. He tells me sorry but I am not allowed to repair more then 3 holes in a runflat without replaceing the tire!!!! I say ok, then fix 3 of the 4 holes and since the tire is under warrantee its free. The guy (manager) counters...."sorry but we are only allowed to repair 3 holes in a RF if the tire gets 4 holes then we replace it" He stated "we are not allowed to touch a tire with 4 holes in it" Im like WTF!!!!!!!! (obviously trying to get me to buy a new tire) SURE WHY NOT ! THEY ONLY CHARGE LIKE $500 EACH! IM SURPRISED THEY DONT SAY THEY NEED REPLACED EVERY TIME YOU HAVE TO PUT AIR IN THEM!
Needless to say I will never buy another GY the rest of my life! Its Mich and FS for me! Anyone else ever hear of such crazyness?

Last edited by D. Togo; 02-21-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,115 Likes on 6,189 Posts

4 holes in one tire. Man you've either got bad karma or somebody is putting stuff under your tire for you.

You do realize that these tires can only be repaired 1 time to maintain their speed rating. A second repair and the tire is no longer certified to maintain its speed rating. The correct repair is a combination of a plug and a patch. Why didn't you get the tire repaired properly in the first place (second place, third place)?

Do you really think Firestone is going to replace your tire for free after you bring it to them with three previous improperly repaired punctures?

Their reasoning may be wrong, but the message they are delivering is correct. You need to replace that tire and it is not their fault.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The GoodYear tire replacement warranty has 2 requirements. Not only must the tire be less than a year old, but it cannot have more than 2/32" of tread worn off. If more than that or older than that, they would have prorated the replacement tire.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JimTN
The GoodYear tire replacement warranty has 2 requirements. Not only must the tire be less than a year old, but it cannot have more than 2/32" of tread worn off. If more than that or older than that, they would have prorated the replacement tire.

Well the tire was less than 1 year old and had full tread. I only had 8K miles and the tires looked like brand new. (I never even spun out) The manager would not pro rate, he said he was not allowed to touch a tire with 4 holes in it! Like I said CRAZY! Even if I paid for it the guy said he would not patch the tire! He wanted me to buy a new one. Silly! My 4 plugs now months later and the tire still did not loose 1 psi. I just figured why not get it fixed the correct way.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Goodyear guy was just trying to keep you safe. He did the right thing. Four punctures, you need a new tire.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
4 holes in one tire. Man you've either got bad karma or somebody is putting stuff under your tire for you.

Why didn't you get the tire repaired properly in the first place (second place, third place)?

No bad Karma or somebody, I was taking a short cut road to work that was used by lots of construction trucks. I stopped at the crossing and looked at the side of the road, it was full of nails and screws and stuff. I stopped taking the road and months later and no more holes.

I didnt get the tire patched at GY the 1st 2nd 3rd time as I mentioned because they would have my car for hours (for a 5 minutes job) and scratch it up and get greasy hand prints everywhere.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you'd had the tire properly repaired the first time, Goodyear would have replaced the tire when you brought it in for the second puncture (speed rating void with 2 or more punctures, so they automatically replace the tire under the warranty if it is punctured a second time). But after 4 improper repairs, it isn't reasonable to expect them to replace the tire.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Hey, D. some of us feel for you. But you really are not listening to the guys explaining things above. Think like this: LAWSUIT.

oK, now you're getting there. Remember that little thing called "Firestone" and rolloevers in Explorers?

Now, think again: LAWSUIT.

No dealer knows how you are going to use your car. IN THE FUTURE, AFTER YOU LEAVE THEIR SHOP. Therefore, when they say too many holes, no more rating, gotta replace the tire, what do you really think they are Thinking? LAWSUIT.

If you came in with a 40 hp, old Beetle with Z rated tires on it and four holes in one tire, I wouldn't touch it either. By patching it, I am de facto (which means I am in fact) condoning the use of the tire. Regardless if I TELL you don't use it for speed. Regardless if I WRITE it on your ticket. Think again: LAWSUIT.

I guarantee you I can take a 40 hp, old Beetle and get it going over 100 mph. It may be all downhill, but I can do it. And that Z rated tire? It ain't worth dog poop with four or even two holes in it. Not for sustained speeds.

Which the 40 hp Beetle couldn't do.

Now I know you get the picture. Find some reliable, good, capable and quick working tire repair people who will take care of you, your car and the tires.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:30 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by D. Togo
My 06 had 3 holes in the same tire (rear pass) 2 nails and a large drill bit! No other tire has so far suffered. I didnt feel like waiting all day for GY to scratch my car and get greasy fingerprints all over it so I repaired it myself each time (each happened months apart) with a plug kit. (BTW the plug kits work awesome. Tire doesnt loose a psi, as if no holes ever existed) So I get my 4th hole (screw) in the same tire. My 1 year tire warrentee is going to expire in a week so I go to GY. The guy says he cant replace the tire for free because my plugs make the tire "altered"! I say OK then repair the holes the correct way with an interior patch. He tells me sorry but I am not allowed to repair more then 3 holes in a runflat without replaceing the tire!!!! I say ok, then fix 3 of the 4 holes and since the tire is under warrantee its free. The guy (manager) counters...."sorry but we are only allowed to repair 3 holes in a RF if the tire gets 4 holes then we replace it" He stated "we are not allowed to touch a tire with 4 holes in it" Im like WTF!!!!!!!! (obviously trying to get me to buy a new tire) SURE WHY NOT ! THEY ONLY CHARGE LIKE $500 EACH! IM SURPRISED THEY DONT SAY THEY NEED REPLACED EVERY TIME YOU HAVE TO PUT AIR IN THEM!
Needless to say I will never buy another GY the rest of my life! Its Mich and FS for me! Anyone else ever hear of such crazyness?
Kumho tires are the lowest cost tire you can get for a C-5 Corvette. I don't think they make the sizes yet for a C-6 but these are non runflat tires.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:01 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy a new tire. I don't take chances with such a crucial component like tires. Not worth a blowout or worse, an accident.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:08 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
Find some reliable, good, capable and quick working tire repair people who will take care of you, your car and the tires.
Thats the thing, I went to 3 gas stations and an auto shop and they all use plugs, no different then I have in the tire now. No one uses patches but GY. Ill stick to plugging myslef, just wondered what you guys thought about the 3 holes and "supposed to" spend $500 for a new tire crap. My 94 vette had 2-4 holes in each tire, I kept plugging and the tires didnt lose air and I never had a problem.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 AM
BobILoveAVette
Racer

Your profile states you are in Law Enforcement, then enforce the law, would you run a patrol car at 100 mph with a tire with 4 plugs?????
Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 AM
fright88
Safety Car

Originally Posted by D. Togo
No bad Karma or somebody, I was taking a short cut road to work that was used by lots of construction trucks. I stopped at the crossing and looked at the side of the road, it was full of nails and screws and stuff. I stopped taking the road and months later and no more holes.

I didnt get the tire patched at GY the 1st 2nd 3rd time as I mentioned because they would have my car for hours (for a 5 minutes job) and scratch it up and get greasy hand prints everywhere.
Not to mention 3/4 the time they try to deny the warrenty anyways
Old 02-21-2007, 08:45 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Ya own a 50 grand car but you're ok riding around on a tire with 4 plugs in it? No way would I be riding around with a tire like that on my vette. It's simply not worth the risk! To be brutally honest if you can't afford a 500 dollar tire you should be driving a different car. I’m sure you can afford it so just buy a new tire and be done with it. I don't blame GY dealer for refusing to repair that tire. I’m glad they won’t repair it in the interest of public safety.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:32 AM
SCpilot053
6th Gear

Default You need to open your ears here....

Tires are expensive...., repairs can be accomplished in many ways to hold air... but that does NOT make the tire "like new" or capable of meeting GY's Spec's - which means your Safety. Medical repairs to your body are MUCH more expensive than new RF's. GY pays alot of good engineers to test various repairs & combinations of repairs so they understand what is acceptable & what is not.
You have a valid point from a sales stand point - the guy should have been more blunt with you - Telling you that you are doing UNSAFE repairs that could be associated with GY by some attorney if your tiire let go for some reason....
I think all tire mfgs would have responded in a similar manner....
You bought a performance machine - be so kind as to not complain when Industry attempts to keep you safe in spite of yourself.
BTW - I just had a nail removed from a C6 mounted GY RF with 6K miles on it - GY paid the $20 for the inside repair after the fact when I called their Customer service line, repair was done by a local GY authorized tire shop that felt my tires were not covered since I had not bought them at their franchise. Total wait was 15 minutes (not hours) while they accomplished repair under my nose.
Sorry to come off strong - you ruffled my feathers.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM
optwovettes
Pro

I had a sheet metal screw in my RF and took it to the local Chevy dealer in BF Georgia and he would not patch and plug the tire as I requested. Said he wasn't allowed to do that to a RF, that I needed to buy another tire. Told him I'd sign a waiver or whatever, since I rarely get above 85 mph and really don't need the rating on the tire. No can do.
Your situation appears a little more extreme. Don't know if this info makes it less painful for you. Man, I was pissed. Got some fix a flat to get home (350 miles) and then had the local mechanic break the tire down, get rid of the goop, wipe down the sensor, and patch the tire. No problems since.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:53 AM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As a retired state tooper as well as one who was in charge of the fleet, IF ANY of our cars had a plugged tire, it was turned in and scrapped. The reason for us was safety as well as lawsuits against us IF anything should happen.

I have worked with Goodyear People and I am convinced that they put out a great tire. Perhaps in this case it would be best to follow thier advice.

Get notified of new replies

To GoodYear service=horrific!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

Four holes in one tire! WOW! And now you want GY to come to your rescue.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sabooher
I would buy a new tire. I don't take chances with such a crucial component like tires. Not worth a blowout or worse, an accident.
I really agree
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 638 Likes on 394 Posts

I think the GY dealer handled this correctly. Even if you only had one plugged puncture, he's taking a risk in fixing a tire that someone already attempted to repair via non-approved means. (I don't know of a single tire manufacturer that considers a plug to be an acceptable repair--all require dismounting the tire, an inspection for internal damage, and a patch or plug/patch applied from the inside.)

Given that the tire already has several non-standard repairs, the risk of that tire already having structural damage is just too great for the dealer to go ahead and attempt a fix. He knows that if the tire fails, he'll get blamed.

Quick Reply: GoodYear service=horrific!