C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoodYear service=horrific!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 PM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Ya own a 50 grand car but you're ok riding around on a tire with 4 plugs in it? To be brutally honest if you can't afford a 500 dollar tire you should be driving a different car. I’m sure you can afford it so just buy a new tire and be done with it.
I can afford a new tire, my 06 is paid off but why should I buy a tire when its under guarantee? GY is not honoring there guarantee so my next tires will be either Michelin Pilot Sports or Firestone Wide Ovals from TireRack.com. Ill keep pluggin until the GY RFs get low on tread which as I hear on this forum shouldnt be too long.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Plug it and then smoke it off.....That's worth 500 bucks!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:25 PM
mikesfleet
Advanced

you have to understand goodyear along with 99.9 % of all other tire makers dont warranty road hazards or nail holes dont get mad at goodyear no tire maker covers these problems under their warranty what you have to understand is your road hazard waranty has nothing to do with goodyear it is a aftermarket warranty (insurance policy) that your dealer sells or throws in when you buy your tires. the easiest thing to compare yor problem to is you wrecking your car and having it towed back to your chevy dealer and asking them to fix it under warranty dont get mad at chevy when they wont fix it, your insurance company has to give your chevy dealer the okay to fix it then after it is fixed chevy gets there money from the insurance company
Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 PM
mikesfleet
Advanced

we are a tire dealer and i can tell you that plugging a tire will over time cause your tire to seperate. tires are made of many plys of rubber and air over time will migrate around a plug working its way in between tose plys of rubber and steel causing air pockets which eventually lead to the tire seperating. some faster than others. there is only one true way to repair a tire and that is filling the whole with a stick of rubber to keep out water, dirt, etc then patching the tire on the inside. any other way of repairing a tire voids the warranty of the tire from any defects and that is every tire makers policy
Old 02-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,113 Likes on 6,189 Posts

Originally Posted by mlongo99
Guys, some of you are missing the point. He's not complaining about needing a new tire. He's complaining that the dealer want's him to pay for it, claiming that his plugs have somehow voided the road hazard warranty.
No, not missing the point at all. The fact is his prior actions have voided his road hazard warranty.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY

... improper repair ... negligence ...
Plugs alone are an improper repair. They must be both plugged and patched following very specific specifications.

I would also argue that his prior actions constitute negligence.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,113 Likes on 6,189 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesfleet
you have to understand goodyear along with 99.9 % of all other tire makers dont warranty road hazards or nail holes dont get mad at goodyear no tire maker covers these problems under their warranty what you have to understand is your road hazard waranty has nothing to do with goodyear it is a aftermarket warranty (insurance policy) that your dealer sells or throws in when you buy your tires. the easiest thing to compare yor problem to is you wrecking your car and having it towed back to your chevy dealer and asking them to fix it under warranty dont get mad at chevy when they wont fix it, your insurance company has to give your chevy dealer the okay to fix it then after it is fixed chevy gets there money from the insurance company

Sorry, but that is not correct. The Goodyear run flats on C6 Corvettes are, in fact, covered by a Goodyear Road Hazard Warranty. It provides for free repair (or replacement if not repairable) within 12 months or the first 2/32" treadwear, whichever occurs first. After this period, if a tire needs to be replaced due to road hazard, you get a pro-rated adjustment. However, it is key to note that the owner of the tires has certain obligations they must fulfill to keep the warranty in effect. The OP has not met his obligations and therefore the warranty is null and void.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 PM
KC-Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by calemasters
The Goodyear guy was just trying to keep you safe. He did the right thing. Four punctures, you need a new tire.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by D. Togo
No bad Karma or somebody, I was taking a short cut road to work that was used by lots of construction trucks. I stopped at the crossing and looked at the side of the road, it was full of nails and screws and stuff. I stopped taking the road and months later and no more holes.

I didnt get the tire patched at GY the 1st 2nd 3rd time as I mentioned because they would have my car for hours (for a 5 minutes job) and scratch it up and get greasy hand prints everywhere.
You could have simply taken the tire off and brought it to the repair facility. FWIW, I deal a lot with Discount Tire and in my experience, those guys are great! The work they do is first-rate and they take care with your car. You can make an appointment, bring it in and watch them do the work (which doesn't take long).

IMO their 'refusal' was correct the justified.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:08 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Anomir
I purchased a set of tires from Goodyear 1 time, only 1 time and forever 1 time.

Long story short, tires had less than 1k miles, looked brand new, tread came apart, separated or whatever the tire folks call it, (I also had the road hazard which I paid extra for) they tell me I can buy a new one for full price. This obviously did not go over well, after an hour of arguing I call Goodyear, they basically say tough, and since the Goodyears are individually owned stores, even though there sign is above it, it is up to the manager or owner.

GY can get bent.
So what type and brand of tire did you go with?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:40 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

Originally Posted by Wayne O
You could have simply taken the tire off and brought it to the repair facility. FWIW, I deal a lot with Discount Tire and in my experience, those guys are great! The work they do is first-rate and they take care with your car. You can make an appointment, bring it in and watch them do the work (which doesn't take long)

Wayne, Discount Tire may in fact be first rate and take care of your car. However GoodYear did not take care of mine. (3 1/2 hours after I dropped it off they called me to say they refused to repair or replace the tire) When I came to pick my car up it was sitting in the parking lot WITH BOTH WINDOWS FULLY OPEN, THE PASSENGER DOOR NOT SHUT TIGHT AND THE KEYS SITTING ON THE PASSENGER SEAT! I secured my car and went back and told the manager the condition my car was left but im sure he really gave a crap. NOW THATS SOME GREAT SERVICE! Thanks GoodYear.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 AM
SimpsonH
Pro

Originally Posted by D. Togo
Great point. They turned down giving me a brand new tire even though it was still under guarantee and made me drive away with "the 4 deadly plugs" If they were so worried about my safety they would have gladly gave me a new tire, plugs or not.
I guess they had the same concern for your safety as you did. Repair something under warranty yourself and you own it. Nothing new about that.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:12 AM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

4 punctures....shows why you need runflats.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Great Dane
Pro

Sounds to me like the OP might have some other issues with Goodyear other than those that relate directly to the tire question. Not all tire shops are certified to repair a RF. All Goodyear factory stores are. The info in the tire warranty that comes with the car is explicit regarding the repair of runflats. The OP's presumptions regarding "scratches" and greasy fingerprints are only presumptions. By not following the warranty instructions, he screwed himself. Goodyear stores have always adhered to the RF warranty to the letter for me. They also have been very careful with the car. As for greasy fingerprints, it's a lot easier to wipe them off then it is to write a check for a new tire. It's tough to sympathize with the OP when he created the problem he wants to complain about.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:02 PM
mbonness
Pro

Originally Posted by exaf86
Looking at this from a statistical point of view, the odds of getting four punctures in the same tire at the same location of the car would be 1 in 256. (1 out of 4 x 1 out of four x...)
I find it interesting myself that most of the reported punctures seem to occur to the rear wheels. Wouldn't the front tires be more likely to hit nails first? But it seems what's happening here is the nails get pushed to the side of the road, where our wider rear tires hang out and pick up what all the other cars are missing with their skinny tires. Sometimes I feel like my car is a giant rubber vacuum cleaner sucking up all the road debris...
Old 02-22-2007, 04:20 PM
rbridges
Race Director

like someone said earlier--lawsuits. In today's society, I don't blame a major company from protecting itself.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Great Dane
Sounds to me like the OP might have some other issues with Goodyear other than those that relate directly to the tire question. Not all tire shops are certified to repair a RF. All Goodyear factory stores are. The info in the tire warranty that comes with the car is explicit regarding the repair of runflats. The OP's presumptions regarding "scratches" and greasy fingerprints are only presumptions. By not following the warranty instructions, he screwed himself. Goodyear stores have always adhered to the RF warranty to the letter for me. They also have been very careful with the car. As for greasy fingerprints, it's a lot easier to wipe them off then it is to write a check for a new tire. It's tough to sympathize with the OP when he created the problem he wants to complain about.
Not all Goodyear shops are certified and or don't have the equipment for runflats that's what it says in the booklet that came with C-6. So you have to make sure whichever Goodyear shop you go to is certified to work on these types of tires.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
ED HEISER
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Default I don't get it!

If runflats are good for 50 miles with no air, why would the loss of air due to a plug be an issue? I mean, if they are so friggin safe airless, you ought to be able to put 100 plugs in them. I'm being sarcastic of course, but personally, I wouldn't put so much faith in runflats as to use one again that had been run 50 miles airless and then patched.

Get notified of new replies

To GoodYear service=horrific!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 638 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by mbonness
I find it interesting myself that most of the reported punctures seem to occur to the rear wheels. Wouldn't the front tires be more likely to hit nails first? But it seems what's happening here is the nails get pushed to the side of the road, where our wider rear tires hang out and pick up what all the other cars are missing with their skinny tires. Sometimes I feel like my car is a giant rubber vacuum cleaner sucking up all the road debris...
Most nails and screws in the road aren't sitting around point-up. What happens is that the front tire runs over the nail (which is on its side) flinging the nail up where it can be caught between the rear tire and the ground. That's why something like a worn out drill bit can still cause a puncture.

As a motorcyclist I've had the same experience--most punctures have been to the rear tire.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 PM
mbonness
Pro

Originally Posted by Duck916
Most nails and screws in the road aren't sitting around point-up. What happens is that the front tire runs over the nail (which is on its side) flinging the nail up where it can be caught between the rear tire and the ground. That's why something like a worn out drill bit can still cause a puncture.

As a motorcyclist I've had the same experience--most punctures have been to the rear tire.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:52 PM
DiverDown
Racer

Originally Posted by mikesfleet
we are a tire dealer and i can tell you that plugging a tire will over time cause your tire to seperate. tires are made of many plys of rubber and air over time will migrate around a plug working its way in between tose plys of rubber and steel causing air pockets which eventually lead to the tire seperating. some faster than others. there is only one true way to repair a tire and that is filling the whole with a stick of rubber to keep out water, dirt, etc then patching the tire on the inside. any other way of repairing a tire voids the warranty of the tire from any defects and that is every tire makers policy
Thanks for the info. This makes the story make more sense. Would it be correct to assume that plugging a hole and taking it to the tire shop ASAP would not void the warrenty?

Quick Reply: GoodYear service=horrific!