C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I have no problem with the interior.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 PM
rayainsw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default padded console cover

Now that I have replaced the OEM console cover ( hard, textured plastic ) with a padded cover from dsvettes, I have no remaining interior issues.

Several of the items mentioned in posts above would certainly be nice – but I am satisfied with the comfort, functionality & appearance. For the price.

And at close to 5,000 miles, no squeaks, rattles, or groans that would indicate anything not screwed ( glued, welded ) together properly in the interior or the underlying structures.
- Ray
Happy C6 driver . . .
Old 02-12-2007, 12:10 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't bother me at all.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:11 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JVM225
Ditto
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 PM
vetracn98
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Works for me. I just mod what I don't like anyway. What am I saying. I mod it regardless!!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 PM
froggs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I recall (years ago) when I bought a new BMW 533i, the first time my friend rode in it he commented on how cheap the interior was....he just expected 'more' from a BMW.
I can't say that I ever thought the BMW interior was "cheap" per say, but the words boring, plain and utilitarian come to mind....even with the newer models. Main reason I never bought one!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 PM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Kerry G
Let me see if I got this right. People have a $50k sports car that outperforms 99% of every other car in the world while costing anywhere from half to 1/10th or less but want an interior of a $100k luxury car?
Let's have some perspective here. Do you really want Chevy to build it heavier and cost more money? I'm sure they can, and then many here would be just reading the forum and not participating in car ownership.

I don't like some aspects of the interior either and even though I don't have the car yet, some of my new interior pieces are already here, on the bench and waiting for installation when the car comes home.

That's the beauty of the 'Vette. Chevy has made a world class sports car available to a large segment of people. Based on volume, the aftermarket people can afford to develop products and again because of volume, price them reasonably.

This allows for a broad spectrum of people to engage in the experience. Some can get their "dream car" by ordering a 1LT and have payments that are affordable and if Chevy made the car more expensive with all the things some people want, it would price the car out of reach for some.

For others that want all the bells and whistles and the checkbook to back it up, you can have it too. Just buy your 'vette, do a bit of surfing to fix it up and you're happy to. What's the difference between paying for those parts from Chevy or from an aftermarket vendor? Face it, you're going to spend the money either way. This way, it doesn't price the other guy out of the car.

Everybody wins. The working man gets his dream car, the executive still gets exactly what he wants, Chevy makes money, the aftermarket people make money and it brings all walks of people together to share the experience.

If you don't like that arrangement, then go buy some "elite" foreign sports car that costs several times what it's worth. They'll make sure you pay out the nose for that billet shift gate and carbon fiber dash surround and after paying all that money, you'll still have to worry about some guy in a Z06 or a modded C6 go BLOWING by you in a car that costs a fraction of what you paid.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:06 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

there are plenty of things which would not have added weight or expense the quality of the plastic dash sucks it just looks cheap the dash on my accura is also plastic but it looks more expnsive it is taste not $$ or weight. Someone in GM design jsut needs to go the extra mile. Yes it is a sports car that does not excuse them for sheeling out what amounts to pennies to imporve the car. How much weight or money would some damn felt cost or weigh. I use home link it is dark I can never find the home link buttons if the had put some luminescent paint on them you could find them easier. It is simple stuff like that which a lot of the imports have which makes adds value by virtue of design( which by the way used to be an american virtue) that the car lacks. They are trying and as mentioned the car is tight no rattles and goes like hell. We are not complaining jeeze I hate it when some folks resent our desire to add some ammenties.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JVM225
Old 02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
SimpsonH
Pro

Discussions like these are always interesting and allow everyone to express their ideas, but they are not always very useful because I doubt we are going to agree on some common ground.

The Corvette probably has a more diverse demographic group than any other sports car. Some people only care about the engine and would be happy if the interior was comprised of two plastic lawn chairs. Others expect more refinement and would like America’s best to be at least as good as the foreign competition. It’s a pride thing. Some would gladly pay more for refinement and many already can’t afford the car.

GM needs to accommodate everyone with interior options. Please offer plastic lawn chairs for those that don’t want more and provide a refined interior equal to the competition for those willing to pay.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:01 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

My only real complaint about the interior is the seats.

The Defenders talk about performance for the dollar when they excuse or minimize the C6 complaints. This is one area they can not excuse.

These must be the poorest designed seats in any car that purports to be a sportscar, at any price. I have the "Sports Seats" but they have minimal support, minimal adjustment, no lumbar adjust, no thigh bolster adjustment. The seat bottoms are simply too short for me to feel comfortable or supported. I had better seats in my '69 vette. The C6 is such a amazing performance car, and such a performance improvement over my '69 that the seats used are unexplainable.

The best seats I have experienced were in my 330i ZHP package. Good side and lateral support, a good range of adjustment, more leg room that the vette. My favorite, thigh bolsters that extended to several positions. Adjusting the seat bottom does not affect the seat back position... This in an admittedly overpriced BMW, but it was more than $10,000 cheaper than my C6. The seats in my son's WRX are better that the vette.

I won't complain about the materials used in the interior, they do not affect performance to any real degree. I love the dash and the DIC. I love the factory NAV.

Just don't tell me that the seats are worthy of this car, at it's level of performance, at this price. YMMV
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Rpop
Instructor

Default Comon guys

Is it not enough we drive vettes? If you want fine Italian leather the finest interiors and performance un azz 200K. I try to buy American, I know that parts are made all over the world but I own two GMC trucks one 69 Camaro and one 06 vette and I will never look back.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bh747
I am quite happy with all facets of my Corvette. I find my seats are quite comfortable for me. The interior looks good too. Just me humble opinion.

Mine too.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:03 PM
froggs
Instructor

Originally Posted by maj75
My only real complaint about the interior is the seats.

The Defenders talk about performance for the dollar when they excuse or minimize the C6 complaints. This is one area they can not excuse.

These must be the poorest designed seats in any car that purports to be a sportscar, at any price. I have the "Sports Seats" but they have minimal support, minimal adjustment, no lumbar adjust, no thigh bolster adjustment. The seat bottoms are simply too short for me to feel comfortable or supported. I had better seats in my '69 vette. The C6 is such a amazing performance car, and such a performance improvement over my '69 that the seats used are unexplainable.

The best seats I have experienced were in my 330i ZHP package. Good side and lateral support, a good range of adjustment, more leg room that the vette. My favorite, thigh bolsters that extended to several positions. Adjusting the seat bottom does not affect the seat back position... This in an admittedly overpriced BMW, but it was more than $10,000 cheaper than my C6. The seats in my son's WRX are better that the vette.

I won't complain about the materials used in the interior, they do not affect performance to any real degree. I love the dash and the DIC. I love the factory NAV.

Just don't tell me that the seats are worthy of this car, at it's level of performance, at this price. YMMV

Hmmmm...I love my seats. I think the adjustment range is decent (considering the room available), and the lumbar support/side bolsters/head support are all quite nice. I suppose they could have made it 8-way power adjustable, but the same end is met via the back angle lever. I do wish that the wheel tilt was also electric and part of the memory package.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing I haven't seen any comments on is the (silicone ?) plastic on the dash, doors and console lid. I really like that stuff! I've never had to do anything to it but dust it or wipe it with a damp rag and it looks just like new. And its about the least shiny stuff I've seen in a car interior.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by carnut2912
This is the review that had me scratching my head. They really bashed the corvette pretty bad. Although I guess the corvette is alot more expensive over there. Maybe that's why they were bashing the interior and leaf spring suspension. Hopefully the 08' rumors are true about a better interior.

By the way, I enjoy this show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCr1RXfKyVA
Just the fact that the vette was beaten by an NSX in the "drag race" should dismiss this review. I was laughing when I saw that. Instead of bashing the vette they should be bashing their driving skills by getting beat by a car with 100hp and almost 200ft/lb. less power with the same weight.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:42 PM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by maj75
My only real complaint about the interior is the seats....

No doubt, there are better seats out there than what is provided in the C6, I will not argue that, I've had many. Manufacturers have to continually balance selling price vs manufacturing cost. My opinion is that Chevy has done a decent job with the 'vette. If they make a heavier/better/more expensive seat and keep the price competitive, what would you tell the engineers to scrimp on?

Now, to give some perspective, I will also throw in that the C6 seat is realistically 5 to 10 TIMES better than the total piece of JUNK SEAT provided in the Lambo Diablo I had that originally sold for almost $300k!!! That's a fact. One piece seat. All it did was "rock" back and forth by turning a ****, and if you didn't have it turned all the way in either direction, the mechanism has "give" in it and it wiggled everytime you moved. Total trash. I NEVER got comfortable.

Not to say all high priced cars have crappy seats because they don't, I'm just illustrating that no matter what the price point, the engineers still have to balance the books and the weight. Cars in general are an object lesson in compromise.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette interior

Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Irv
Drifting

Originally Posted by dashotgun
there are plenty of things which would not have added weight or expense the quality of the plastic dash sucks it just looks cheap the dash on my accura is also plastic but it looks more expnsive it is taste not $$ or weight. Someone in GM design jsut needs to go the extra mile. Yes it is a sports car that does not excuse them for sheeling out what amounts to pennies to imporve the car. How much weight or money would some damn felt cost or weigh. I use home link it is dark I can never find the home link buttons if the had put some luminescent paint on them you could find them easier. It is simple stuff like that which a lot of the imports have which makes adds value by virtue of design( which by the way used to be an american virtue) that the car lacks. They are trying and as mentioned the car is tight no rattles and goes like hell. We are not complaining jeeze I hate it when some folks resent our desire to add some ammenties.
I agree with some of what you say. This isn't about weight at all. If it was about weight we wouldn't have power seats, because they are probably the biggest weight adders in the interior. (Don't believe me? Take one out of the car and see for yourself. ) Frankly, with good quality manual adjusters (which the C6 does not have) power seat adjustments are irrelevant. Fully manual Recaros, for example, as used in $25K VWs, are superior to what's in any C6, IMO. So are the seat materials. I don't think GM is spending any less, or that weight is a big consideration. On the other hand, I think there's more to it than you think there is. I'm not sure why the seats are so terrible, but if I had to venture a wild guess it's that there are limitations on what the supplier (Lear?) is willing to build for a certain price, perhaps based on some designs or whatever they already have in production, or that there might be intellectual property issues for better designs; whatever. GM might not, for the C6's seat production budget, be able to get a better design from another supplier because they don't drive enough volume with the right vendor. These are all wild guesses, but issues I've personally seen happen in other production programs.

For some of the interior materials, like the hard shiny plastics, you would think GM could choose some alternatives that would cost only pennies more per unit, but it may not be so simple. Sometimes those "soft-touch" materials have production or warranty side-effects that we're not aware of. (For example, that you have to package them with more labor and materials, or assembling them takes more time. In volume manufacturing it's always something...)

I'm suspecting that GM engineers know every weakness of their design better than we do. I'll bet there are some compromises they're not happy with either. I'll bet sometimes we win as customers for reasons we'd rather not know about. (For example, perhaps those electronic door mechanisms save cost and weight...)

I'm in the camp that does a lot of bitching about the C6 seats, but I'm under no preconceptions that the "fix" is for GM to spend another $100/unit. I'd think it's a lot more complex than that.

Last edited by Irv; 02-12-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:55 PM
motninorc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kerry G
Let me see if I got this right. People have a $50k sports car that outperforms 99% of every other car in the world while costing anywhere from half to 1/10th or less but want an interior of a $100k luxury car?
No ... I'd like to at least have the interior of a Saturn ... and what I mean by that is the leather in the Saturn Aura is not only better quality but looks better than that in the vette. No one is asking GM to dump more money into the best performance value out there but can they at least make the interior of their flagship vehicle on par with that in their economy lines ?????
Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just driving my wifes Lexus. Same price range as my vette. Interior is pretty much identical quality wise. Not sure where folks are coming from on this. Do they think the inside of the vette should look like a Mercedes or BMW? The stuff that counts is done right.

Quick Reply: Corvette interior