C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt title 05 C6 Vert... price opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
novass66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You asked for opinions here is mine- Price way to high, if you decide to trade in, 50% black book. I have seen auction lines empty fast when the announcement is made, rebuilt- salvage title.You are required to run that car red light. You say you have had no problem selling salvage title cars then it's worth what you are willing to pay. Most lending companys will not lend on salvage titles, you will need to find someone with cash. I have been in preowned business 30 years.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Too much for a flood car. 28k max.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:08 PM
froggs
Instructor

FWIW, about 2 months ago I almost bought an 05 Vert Z51 3LT w/ Navi carrying about 10K miles for $44K. At the time, I thought the price was right.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:12 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

No way, Never. I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 pole. Someday you might want to sell it and this will come back to haunt you.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
vetracn98
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Keep lookin
Old 02-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a friend of mine that buys nothing but flood cars. Only fresh water, not salt water. He's never had a problem. He's been doing it for years.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:40 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Rebuilt title or not I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. These cars have electronics everywhere. Water and electronics don't mix. Your looking at nothing but trouble down the road.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would rather have a C5 with a good title and no flood than this car.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM
McClendons
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Have to agree that the car is a bad idea. Allot of electronics, and I am sure they did not replace everything--probably just the computers, but not the cables etc. Did the engine get a FULL rebuild, or just a drying out---so bearings etc will rust down the road. Too many factors for a day to day car. Would ne fun on a track though
Old 02-12-2007, 04:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yeah, you may've sold them, which means some people have bought them. But there are dealers and dealer reps on all the forums here at CF. And when "we" hear from them, most won't touch the stuff. There's very possibly an A$$ built for every seat, but that don't make it right.

To me, it's a bit like musical chairs. And when the music stops and one or more chairs are pulled away, I still want to be sitting. This game of rebuilding, re-titling, shifting cars from state to state to wash titles, that's just plain BS and not good for the cars, the industry or the people who buy 'em.

You can disagree with me and live your life the way you want, but I hope I never know anyone who bought a car from you that's been "rebuilt". And don't tell me it's just like "restoring" a car--it isn't.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
meaniam
Racer

i dont think it is worth 30k. im not sure and have no way of backing this up. just the no warrenty thing on a salvage. i dont think i can. but if a chevy dealership did all the work and supplied all the parts. i think you get a gm 3 yr 36k warrenty on new parts. and at least 12k 12month on the labor from dealership. its just all the things they didnt replace like switches abs trac control window motors door electric ect.

keep in mind one thing i was told by service manager these cars have 6 computers. my car is an electric pain in the a$$ without the flood. i had a bug that we floated in a puddle on the freeway. hydrolocked the engine. insurance company went cheap and used a used engine i fought them and the problems for a year. before getting a brand new from vw engine with a full warrenty. and as soon as i had the car back i took the warrenty and car and sold it. with a 2k hit in value clean title

Last edited by meaniam; 02-12-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:22 PM
F8L-LS1
Pro

Ok-
1- I'm not worried about the electronics so I don't need an opinion on problems down the road. I saw the car before it was fixed, I know what was done to it, I know it will not have problems. I'm a wholesale salvage dealer and I'm buying it from a friend thats a wholesale salvage dealer. I know the ins and outs of a corvette.

All I wanted an opinion on was the price, I can already tell this was NOT the place to ask. Mention the word salvage around here and everyone says it's worth half of black book. That couldn't be any more false. I have a wrecked 03 Convertible on Ebay right now that is up to 17k. STILL WRECKED THAT CAR IS BRINGING MORE THAN HALF OF BLACK BOOK. I also sold a 98 with 65k miles on ebay last week for 15,500.
I judge value as to what something can be sold for, and since I can usually sell them for about 3-5k back of what the same car brings with a regular title, I thought this was a decent deal on a Nice Vert.

It's frustrating to see that almost all of the replies are from people that don't know of anything but to buy a new car everytime they want one... and that is fine if you have the means, but as far as bang for the buck, I prefer to buy used or rebuilt. I'll be in this car for the same price as a 04 Vert and it runs/drives/looks/smells identical to any other 05 Vert. I just wanted some opinions since this was a big investment.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

$35,000 for a flood damaged 2005 salvage car. No way, never, no how. You don't seem to care about the potential risks involved so good for you. I can tell you that my mint 2005 Coupe will likely not even bring $35,000 today. If you could get it for $30,000 given your experience and lack of concern for the other potential problems, maybe. For the record my last three Corvette purchases were used cars. I did my research, bought first model year cars and have had zero problems.

If this wasn't salvaged I'd say the $35,000 for a loaded '05 convertible was about average. B.t.w. You asked for opinions, you got them. Sorry you don't like what the knowledgable folks here have to say but I'd say we all feel as if you could do better for not much (if any) more money. If you want the car, buy it. It's your money. You don't need our blessing. Good luck to you.

Paul
Old 02-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by F8L-LS1
I'm a wholesale salvage dealer and I'm buying it from a friend thats a wholesale salvage dealer. I know the ins and outs of a corvette. I just wanted some opinions since this was a big investment.

Am I the only one confused now ... if you're in the business and knowledgable, why did you ask the question? ... and then bristle at the responses from folks who would tell you "That's too much; and likely to be many problems." The advice on prices, and in general, was well-intended.

Imagine if you were the seller who came in here and ask the same question...you'd get absolutely shelled!

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:06 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven

Am I the only one confused now ... if you're in the business and knowledgable, why did you ask the question? ... and then bristle at the responses from folks who would tell you "That's too much; and likely to be many problems." The advice on prices, and in general, was well-intended.

Imagine if you were the seller who came in here and ask the same question...you'd get absolutely shelled!

Good luck.
I have found that most people who ask for advice don't want advice, they want validation.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:10 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by jschindler
I have found that most people who ask for advice don't want advice, they want validation.
Amen to that.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Hey go buy it. You are the expert. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilt title 05 C6 Vert... price opinions?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
McClendons
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Interesting response from the orginal poster. Since everything will be great (electronics drive etc), it should be worth full value. Tell you what, i can find you some salvage Vettes in LA, and I will sell them to you at only 80% of blue book. Great deal for me, and a good one for you if you believe your response above.

There is a reason the Govt requires salvage to be placed on the title, and it is NOT because the car is like new. You asked a question, and the are critical when you get the correct answers. Does not make any sense. Good luck, you will need it
Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jschindler
Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,470 Likes on 792 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Assuming all of the exposed wiring, all of the electrical connectors, and all of the harnesses were either replaced or cleaned up and assuming it was fresh water and not salt water, I still believe the asking price is too high because of it being in a flood and the rebuilt/salvage title issue. I work on fighter jet avionics and have seen the corrosion problems on components that are exposed to the elements (i.e. canopies left open in the rain and cockpits soaked). The underlying damage can't be seen unless you take the units apart. These newer cars are loaded with printed circuit boards and they do not take kindly to getting wet. If this car was exposed to salt water in any way, the long term is going to add significant cost to the initial investment.

If you really are set in buying this car get it at the lowest possible cost to you. It's a roll of the dice. It could be trouble free for years or leave you stranded the first day. I have bought all of my previous Vettes used and low miles. This was the first one I bought new. I would pass on this one if I were the one looking to buy.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt title 05 C6 Vert... price opinions?