C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SINGH Chevy Denied my warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Petew1971
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11
Default SINGH Chevy Denied my warranty

They wouldnt fix an 02 censor because I have Dynotech Headers. They told me that any work or parts will have to be out of my own pocket unless I change it back to stock. Ray Chevrolet in Lafayette, Louisiana never gave me a hard time about any of my mods. They actually were into what new stuff I had done. Is this a dealer preference whether they will still fix under warranty if a car has mods? Is SINGH just being a bunch of punks? The Dynotech headers have all the plug ins for all the censors so I dont see what the problem is. Anyone else have this problem with stingy service departments?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 PM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Not worth the fight, time for a new dealer.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Lakelander
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 71 Posts

Don't waste your time on these idiots. Dealerships each have their own little culture & obviously this one sux. Go back to Ray Chevy where your not going to run into this.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:06 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

headers can cause sensors to go out. also, just the act of taking them out and replacing them can knock them out. i cant really blame the dealer but if you can find one who will replace it, do it
Old 02-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My local dealership aggressively denies warranty service on anything remotely related to a modification. I would believe that's pretty much the 'rule' rather than the 'exception.' I suppose if they went ahead and repaired it under warranty...GM might deny the claim and let the dealership eat the cost (not to mention jeopardizing the dealer's relationship with GM). I don't know to what extent but I would suppose at some point GM does review warranty repairs made by a dealership....maybe random or spot checks unless something in particular catches their attention.

I've heard some dealership's aren't so stringent but sadly, none of them are close to me.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New Dealer ..
Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 PM
antoniopaolo
Drifting

Originally Posted by BADC64GO
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Petew1971
Team Owner

Yeah I will try some different dealerships. Maybe theres other Dealers out there who respect the guys that spend good money. The Corvette has kept Chevy afloat through tough times when Toyota was outselling them in the truck department. Now that the new Tundra is out Chevy is gonna take a hard hit in sales. They ought to be a bit more understanding in the sense that us folks who spend good money on these sports cars are most likely gonna do some mods here and there. An 02 censor is a 120 dollar part and takes 5 minutes to install. I payed close to 60 grand at this dealership after TTL. Why hassel me over something stupid when Im spending cash like that? SINGH Chevy in Riverside Ca will never see another dime of my money or anyones that I know. I will reccomend they shop elsewhere. I find this insulting and low grade business on this dealers part.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:18 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
headers can cause sensors to go out. also, just the act of taking them out and replacing them can knock them out. i cant really blame the dealer but if you can find one who will replace it, do it
People have damaged them doing the install. It's highly likely that it went out due to the change to headers. I would just suck it up and buy a new sensor.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's my take. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:57 PM
matsarge
Melting Slicks

Old 02-09-2007, 11:57 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

How do you know the O2 sensor is bad? Most of us that added headers get O2 sensor codes because of the relocation of the O2 sensors. These codes can be fixed by an aftermarket tuner.

IMHO the Dealer isn't responsible for a change you made.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:06 AM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

loose the dealer..
Old 02-10-2007, 12:36 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Petew1971
The Corvette has kept Chevy afloat through tough times when Toyota was outselling them in the truck department.
I don't know if the Corvette alone was keeping Chevrolet afloat, it is a profitable car for sure but it only generates so much.
And when were Toyota trucks EVER outselling Chevrolet/GMC trucks?
Certainly they were outselling the Silverado/Sierra (second best selling vehicle in the entire United States) LOL.

Now that the new Tundra is out Chevy is gonna take a hard hit in sales.
Huh, how do you know that? You speak as if it's like pure fact and impossible that the almighty Toyota could ever fail (as they'd blatantly failed with the T-100 and first Tundra) at something.
Of course GM and Ford will lose some sales to this new truck but it will NOT be easy getting people out of their F-150s and Silverados.

As for the O2 sensor, I feel your pain but it is a part directly related to the mods (headers) done so they are not wrong for doing this, a Toyota dealership would do the EXACT same thing. Only if they refused coverage of say a power window motor or discolored wheels etc because of it would I raise a stink over it.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 02-10-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 AM
07C6Z51
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Yeah I will try some different dealerships. Maybe theres other Dealers out there who respect the guys that spend good money. The Corvette has kept Chevy afloat through tough times when Toyota was outselling them in the truck department. Now that the new Tundra is out Chevy is gonna take a hard hit in sales. They ought to be a bit more understanding in the sense that us folks who spend good money on these sports cars are most likely gonna do some mods here and there. An 02 censor is a 120 dollar part and takes 5 minutes to install. I payed close to 60 grand at this dealership after TTL. Why hassel me over something stupid when Im spending cash like that? SINGH Chevy in Riverside Ca will never see another dime of my money or anyones that I know. I will reccomend they shop elsewhere. I find this insulting and low grade business on this dealers part.
I went to this dealer for a new ZO6, they wanted forty thousand over MSRP. Took my business elsewhere!!!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Tag_sk
Advanced

Is the car registered in California? Headers are not CARB approved and most places that would do the install make you sign an off-road use only waiver. I can see why the dealership would only do the warranty work if you returned it to stock.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Petew1971
Team Owner

yeah singh is asking 95 grand for the ZO6. thats base price and he wont budge. I cant prove Toyota was ever outselling the chevy truck maybe i was just blowin off steam. this is the 3rd O2 sensor i have gone through and ive had my dynotech headers for over a year. Ray chevy just took care of me like i was family and didnt hassel me about anything. i ended up just buying the sensor myself and slapped it in but the thing that gets me is singh said that unless i put back to stock they wont cover anything! its not like i did internal mods, i put on some after market exhaust for christ sake. ok im done complaining for now but this is a serious issue for people who like to add little things here and there for some extra horses.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They wouldnt fix an 02 censor because I have Dynotech Headers. They told me that any work or parts will have to be out of my own pocket unless I change it back to stock. Ray Chevrolet in Lafayette, Louisiana never gave me a hard time about any of my mods. They actually were into what new stuff I had done. Is this a dealer preference whether they will still fix under warranty if a car has mods? Is SINGH just being a bunch of punks? The Dynotech headers have all the plug ins for all the censors so I dont see what the problem is. Anyone else have this problem with stingy service departments?
GM's warranty doesn't cover any problems associated with modifications. Why should it? The warranty covers any defects of materials or workmanship on the stock vehicle as built by GM. Period. Once you take it upon yourself to alter the vehicle, any problems caused by the alterations are your responsibility. Says so right in your owner's manual.

Get notified of new replies

To SINGH Chevy Denied my warranty

Old 02-10-2007, 01:28 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shopdog
GM's warranty doesn't cover any problems associated with modifications. Why should it? The warranty covers any defects of materials or workmanship on the stock vehicle as built by GM. Period. Once you take it upon yourself to alter the vehicle, any problems caused by the alterations are your responsibility. Says so right in your owner's manual.
True. Although I still feel that someone shouldn't be denied coverage for a broken power seat motor just because they have headers...warranty denial should only occur when parts in question (or other parts closely related to the parts in question) are modified IMO.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:45 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True. Although I still feel that someone shouldn't be denied coverage for a broken power seat motor just because they have headers...warranty denial should only occur when parts in question (or other parts closely related to the parts in question) are modified IMO.
And that's the way it is supposed to work. Unaltered parts of the car remain covered unless there's a question whether the mods caused the failure. Obviously, unrelated things like seat motors don't have warranty coverage voided because you added headers. But O2 sensors certainly are intimately related to the headers, and you shouldn't expect them to be covered.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:47 AM
meaniam
Racer

yeah singh is asking 95 grand for the ZO6. thats base price and he wont budge. I cant prove Toyota was ever outselling the chevy truck maybe i was just blowin off steam. this is the 3rd O2 sensor i have gone through and ive had my dynotech headers for over a year. Ray chevy just took care of me like i was family and didnt hassel me about anything. i ended up just buying the sensor myself and slapped it in but the thing that gets me is singh said that unless i put back to stock they wont cover anything! its not like i did internal mods, i put on some after market exhaust for christ sake. ok im done complaining for now but this is a serious issue for people who like to add little things here and there for some extra horses.
report them the law states. that a failure must be proven to be cuased by modifications. anyone want to argue that bring it. as they bolt in the same. never require any mods to the sensor or wiring itself. operate the same. you cant argue temp. as the stock manifolds hold more heat in. im sure i could argue any of those statements anyone brings up. and i do have knowledge in this field as i was a service manager at a couple diffrent big store in so cal. you could proably have taken this to the regional factory rep and asked him to discuss this with you. im most certain he would agree with you. just avoid that dealership all together. as you have already repaired it

Quick Reply: SINGH Chevy Denied my warranty