C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get power top down

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:53 PM
antpal
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Default How to get power top down

Can anyone explain to me how to get the power convert top down manually if you lose power. I just can not understand what the manual is telling me to do. Love my 2006 Montery Red vert with cashmier top.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:16 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to pull the cord located under the tourneau on the passenger side to release the tourneau. Then slowly but firmly lift the tourneau.

Under the carpet behind the passengers side of the tourneau, there is a pump. You take the allen wrench, bleed the hydraulic to loosen one of the bolts about 180 degrees (1/2 turn), then you can raise or lower the top.

I'd recommend you do it to familiarize yourself with the process, so if you're stuck one day, you're not SOL.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:20 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
You have to pull the cord located under the tourneau on the passenger side to release the tourneau. Then slowly but firmly lift the tourneau.

Under the carpet behind the passengers side of the tourneau, there is a pump. You take the allen wrench, bleed the hydraulic to loosen one of the bolts about 180 degrees (1/2 turn), then you can raise or lower the top.

I'd recommend you do it to familiarize yourself with the process, so if you're stuck one day, you're not SOL.
Great advice. Read your manual and practice!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:25 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by antpal
Can anyone explain to me how to get the power convert top down manually if you lose power. I just can not understand what the manual is telling me to do. Love my 2006 Montery Red vert with cashmier top.
the manual makes it sound like an easy process. When my battery was failing due to the Nucleus MP3 player issue. I could not "manually" lower or raise the top without breaking, ripping or bending it. I had to leave it up (or down) for a day or so until the pressure in the hydraulics equalized.

That said, I didn't release the pressure with the allen wrench as stated above. I didn't know where the pump was. I thought it was in the engine department. Shows how much I know...
Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by PAVette
Great advice. Read your manual and practice!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:36 AM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by humvet
the manual makes it sound like an easy process. When my battery was failing due to the Nucleus MP3 player issue. I could not "manually" lower or raise the top without breaking, ripping or bending it. I had to leave it up (or down) for a day or so until the pressure in the hydraulics equalized.

That said, I didn't release the pressure with the allen wrench as stated above. I didn't know where the pump was. I thought it was in the engine department. Shows how much I know...
That's because that's where the manual used to say it was located. Don't try to move it without bleeding the pump; can do some big-time damage, I think.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Hound
Racer

Allen Wrench Is Attached To Pump For You>
Old 02-09-2007, 12:29 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hound
Allen Wrench Is Attached To Pump For You>
Thanks for the info - I look forward to my battery going dead to try out the procedure.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cmb13

Make sure you do a practice run NOW.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

[QUOTE=PAVette;1558879504Read your manual[/QUOTE]
Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 PM
deepbluesea6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well im not sure what my issue would be but i cannot get the top down on mine, ive tried pushing the button nothing happens with e brake pulled up only message i tend to get on the dash is "top not secure"
however when i release the top hanger for securing the top down the windows go down automatically but thats all
this also is my first time with a c6 convertible
is there a special way of getting the top down? does the car have to be started or "accesory" mode will work too?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by deepbluesea6
well im not sure what my issue would be but i cannot get the top down on mine, ive tried pushing the button nothing happens with e brake pulled up only message i tend to get on the dash is "top not secure"
however when i release the top hanger for securing the top down the windows go down automatically but thats all
this also is my first time with a c6 convertible
is there a special way of getting the top down? does the car have to be started or "accesory" mode will work too?

Check the trunk and look at the "spacer" that divides the trunk from the area where the top fits in the trunk. Make sure BOTH tabs are fully latched on their posts. I usually have my engine running to raise and lower the top.

Elmer
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There are several fuses related to the power top and tonneau operation.

They are under the passenger's foot rest. Check your Owners Manual for the specific fuse numbers.

Get notified of new replies

To How to get power top down

Quick Reply: How to get power top down